All things Peter Gabriel

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by audiotom, Jun 30, 2020.

1. plugmeintosomething

plugmeintosomething Forum Resident

Oh and I've been listening to The Lamb a lot lately.

2. bostonscoots

bostonscoots Forum Resident

The show was in Worcester, MA - and it was the second night of a two-night stand. Before PG began the song, he mentioned the change in the setlist was for anyone attending both shows. My buddy Bill and I loved the song - so yeah, it certainly felt like a "special deal" to us.

MicSmith and JeffMo like this.
  3. LC4O

LC4O Forum Resident

Hi Mic
    I can send some samples if you like it, i can send the complete show my email : [email protected]
    i will send the link by email
    LC

tgdon'tmind and MicSmith like this.
  4. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

I saw him there about 30 years later on that tour with Sting we were discussing earlier.

5. Jerk The Handle

Jerk The Handle Electrician

Was covered by a nu-metal band Coal Chamber, featuring Ozzy Osbourne. Submitted for your approval:

zphage likes this.
  6. MicSmith

MicSmith Forum Resident

Thanks for the offer LC40 but I think I’ve got a copy on the way.

LC4O likes this.
  7. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

Tonight I’m spinning Passion 3xLP reissue.

8. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

Now playing Long Walk Home 2xLP and really enjoying it.

I will admit to not giving his soundtrack work enough listens over the years.

Geordiepete and MicSmith like this.
  9. MicSmith

MicSmith Forum Resident

I think his first 2 soundtracks are exceptionally good and sit very comfortably with his vocal or song based albums. If Ovo is considered a soundtrack (which it is in my view) then that’s another one that sits well alongside his major works (if you skip The Story if Ovo which is not worthy on being on the album IMO). Long Walk Home isn’t quite up there for me but when I played the vinyl edition I did feel that it worked well across the various sides in a way that listening to the CD without those interludes didn’t.
    Great to read though that you are exploring these corners of his catalogue.

Ere and JeffMo like this.
  10. MicSmith

MicSmith Forum Resident

Has anybody got a North American version of And I’ll Scratch Yours issued in January 2014. For some reason that version has yet to make it onto Discogs. I could do with the catalogue number for my discography if possible.

Also when issued in the U.K. you could buy a 2CD and 2LP edition coupled with Scratch My Back.

Were either of these issued as North American editions and if so what are their catalogue numbers?

11. spondres

spondres Forum Resident

Yes, Low Light makes for a vastly superior opening track. IMHO, naturally.

MicSmith likes this.
  12. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

I’m spinning Passion in the home office to help get through a busy Monday at work.

Stunning piece of music that I was too young to appreciate in ‘89 but has grown in stature with me every year since!

Ere, VisionThing, gregorya and 3 others like this.
  13. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

It really is. My only problem with it is finding a time when I can actually really enjoy it. It's a bit too mellow to be work music for me, but it really is an incredible work.

JeffMo likes this.
  14. LC4O

LC4O Forum Resident

Rikiii likes this.
  15. LC4O

LC4O Forum Resident

gabbleratchet7 likes this.
  16. furthermore

furthermore Forum Resident

I’ve not seen this mentioned yet on the forum – a small bit of Gabriel news. Plays Live will be made available in its 2CD version again beginning March 19 (as opposed to the abridged 1CD highlights version, which cut ‘The Rhythm Of The Heat,’ ‘Not One Of Us,’ ‘Intruder,’ and ‘On The Air’). This is the Tony Cousins 2002 remaster used on the recent digital release, the recent LP reissue and the Japanese 2CD ‘mini LP’ CDs from 2002. Though the cover is the same (the “Plays Live” text appears on this version, whereas it has sometimes been text-free), the original artwork has received a new layout by designer Marc Bessant. It’s available from Gabriel’s site and some other retailers.

I know there’s been interest in seeing Growing Up Live, Live In Athens and Flotsam And Jetsam on CD. Given the unexpected timing of this release and Rated PG on CD, we can’t assume we’ll see those, but we can’t be sure we won’t. As the ads for Peter’s first album said, ‘expect the unexpected.’

17. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

@morgan1098 @Levitated you guys might be interested in this!

morgan1098 likes this.
  18. morgan1098

morgan1098 Forum Resident

This is exactly what I said when the 2CD Plays Live was announced! I hope it means we'll at least get Growing Up Live on CD, which hasn't been on CD before. As for Flotsam and Jetsam, well, I would be over the moon about that as long as they include a big phat booklet with all kinds of liner notes and single sleeves, etc. As far as digital-only releases go, I think I have listened to Flotsam and Jetsam just about more than anything else I've ever downloaded.

Alan57 and JeffMo like this.
  19. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

I gave Secret World Live a listen today on my headphones.

Need to revisit the b-sides comp again soon!

morgan1098 likes this.
  20. 6stringer

6stringer ...because it's the music that matters.

Alongside The Jam, "Games Without Frontiers" was one of the first 45's I bought.

It was at the start of my record buying and just sounded great to me. I can't say I've gone deep into his music, apart from "So" and the hits comp after that but that single - part of my initial education on what I liked in music. I still have it.

Oatsdad and WhatDoIKnow like this.
  21. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

His catalog isn’t too big, so you might check out another album or two.

22. LC4O

LC4O Forum Resident

If PG edit another album I would like the sound not to be overly loud and harsh a bit like "UP", like what happened with the Genesis Remixes.
    Some albums in which the sound is fantastic, and which does not hurt the ear either in old or recent sound systems:
    Kate Bush "Aerial" , Daniel Lanois "Here Is What Is" , "Heavy Sun" Bob Dylan "Time Out of Mind".

I get the feeling that Mastering, from the last Gabriel albums are made thinking only of digital and modern sound systems,and this doesn’t happen with Daniel Lanois’s productions

23. frozen-beach

frozen-beach Forum Resident

Anyone have the 2020 pressing of Plays Live? My copy has distortion throughout Not One Of Us and Family Snapshot. Saw someone on discogs complain about it as well, saying all three replacement copies they had also had the distortion. Wondering if the pressing is just bad in general...

24. WhatDoIKnow

WhatDoIKnow I never got over it, I got used to it

Mine plays consistently fine.

25. frozen-beach

frozen-beach Forum Resident

Guess I'll have to request a replacement from Acoustic Sounds then. Hopefully the next copy will be better.