FLEETWOOD MAC Rumours -- New WB vinyl, "Gold Dust Woman" mix variation question...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Jun 6, 2007.

1. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

Sigh, sorry guys, I'm weary and afraid I might miss something so I'm asking you experts. I just don't feel like pulling out my 50 cutting variations on RUMOURS tonight.:shake: :sigh:

The last two or so minutes of GOLD DUST WOMAN, when the toms come in, we hear screaming, right?

Well, there are several versions of the ending on tape and one of them has NO screaming at all. Looks like that ending was used once commercially, but on what?

Can one of you state if you've ever heard the "non-screaming ending" of GOLD DUST WOMAN on any WB LP, 45, commercial open reel tape or Compact Disk, foreign or domestic?

It would be a great help to me, thanks.

This is crazy for me. Imagine a master tape with 3 different ends for the same song, none of them actually attached to the song. All three apparently were used over the years and then UNSPLICED and put back at the end. Arggh!!!!!! Also three beginnings to the song, one with drums, one with bass and drums and a fade up.

I don't think an actual record was cut from the master tape in many, many years.

The wailing on my original PROMO LP is tremendously loud. It scares small children (and my wife).

I've never seen an album with so many variations between cuttings. I could write a book. It boggles my mind!

2. johnny33

johnny33 New Member

Steve , I have a west german target cd. The part where the screams occur is it echoey sounding or to the front? Because I dont hear Lindsey on mine but I do hear a distant Stevie with about 25 seconds left in the song wailing very distantly. Would this be the one without the scream? Does the scream happen immediately when the toms come in or at least very soon after?

3. Bob Lovely

Bob Lovely Super Gort In Memoriam

Steve,

If my memory serves me correctly, this track was re-mixed for the box set years ago sans the scream with the drums more upfront during the fade-down...

Bob-:shh:

4. bangsezmax

bangsezmax Forum Resident

Someone is definitely screaming on the 45 (flipside of "You Make Loving Fun").

5. gloomrider

gloomrider Well-Known Member

Hi Steve.

My copy of the "25 Years - The Chain" version has NO Lindsey screaming. Stevie moaning at 4:25. I do hear Lindsey doing something at 4:44, but I wouldn't call it a scream exactly.

Hope that helps.

6. John Carsell

John Carsell Forum Resident

I just checked the box set (25 Years - The Chain) and the scream is definitely on there at the end. Low in the mix but there.

FWIW the song begins without the fade in.

7. Wilkie

Wilkie New Member

Here's the last minute of the remix on 25 Years...The Chain box set:

http://www.lindaronstadt.com/files/temp/fm/gold_dust_woman.mp3

8. BrianK

BrianK New Member

From the beginning of the earliest demos, Stevie moans and wails throughout every version. It becomes a featured part of the ending. Some of the unreleased versions have shrieks that sound like screams - but it's quiet, not a real voiced scream.

If you listen, there are several differing tones and parts happening across the endings - almost certainly different vocal take vamps being comped between. They have different EQ and reverb settings, can't recall if the pan was changed too. I think so.

9. DJMurphy

DJMurphy Forum Resident

On the Classic Albums docu, Lindsey attributes the screaming to Stevie.

FWIW, when did the cold-start "Gold Dust Woman" seem to become the de facto new standard? I still thought that having it fade up (as I seem to recall on the LP) was a fascinating way to start it, as if you had joined a tale of mystery and darkness which was mid-way through the telling, and the fade out leaving said tale unresolved and writhing, swirling back down into its own miasma of mystery with little resolved or established.

...but that might just be me.

Nitropiggy likes this.
  10. Tim H.

Tim H. Forum Resident

I checked my LP and throughout the drums/ "shadow of a woman" to the end there is not any wailing until the fadeout and there it's fairly faint. I did a quick mp3 of it, but don't have a way of uploading it. I'd be happy to email it to someone (it's a couple mgs) to link to it or directly to you Steve.

My deadwax info is: BSK-2-3010 WW13 F42 Mastered by Capitol |>- kp

not sure if this is what you're looking for but...

11. monewe

monewe Forum Resident

The scream is also on the Rhino remaster

12. Steve Hoffman

It is, yes. Just what I was afraid of.

This is crazy for me. Imagine a master tape with 3 different ends for the same song, none of them actually attached to the song. All three apparently were used over the years and then UNSPLICED and put back at the end. Arggh!!!!!!

I don't think an actual record was cut from the master tape in many, many years.

Can you get that ending to me, please? I need to hear it.

The wailing on my original PROMO LP is tremendously loud. It scares small children (and my wife).

SinnerSaint and bleachershane like this.
  13. CardinalFang

CardinalFang New Member

You can use http://www.yousendit.com if you can't find somewhere to upload it. Just send it to yourself, then post the link here.

14. Solaris

Solaris a bullet in flight

15. Tim H.

Tim H. Forum Resident

I'll know better for the future!

Thanks Guys!!!

16. whoompley

whoompley Senior Member

Fade-up with very loud wailing on my CRC lp.

17. John

John Senior Member

Let me check my LP Steve. I have the RL Radio Test Side 1 with no mastering initials on Side 2. I do not recall the loud Lindsay wails you speak of, but I will have to check. I seem to recall no wailing when the toms come in, but some lower level Stevie wails toward the end. Good question.

This is the best sounding Side 2 Ive heard, if you need to borrow one, PM me.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 10, 2020
  18. I have the original 'Promo' LP, the Robert Ludwig mastered LP, a German re-issue, and a few others not really worthy of mention.

On CD I have the Japanese 32XD Target, the Japan for U.S. Target, and the remaster.

Of the LP's, as you stated Steve the original 'Promo' LP is the most pronounced in the howling. The Robert Ludwig LP is very intense in the howling also. The German LP (which is a 'Vinyl Revival 180 gm' pressing), has the 'Gold Dust Woman' version where the 'howling' is barely noticeable.

Of the CD's, the howling on the 32XD is almost non existent, while the Japan for U.S. Target CD has the howling like the 'Promo' and Robert Ludwig LP's have.

For what it's worth, I personally love the 'Gold Dust Woman' with the intense howling. It's haunting, and gives you chills down your spine. By the time the song ends, thus ending the album, you just sit back and say 'WOW', what a way to end an album!!!

19. AndrewS

AndrewS Senior Member

My Canadian pressed CD appears to be the same way... I hear the howls start with around 40 seconds left in the track.

20. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Well, since you're mastering for vinyl, why don't you just do one of those multi groove albums, with each groove ending with one of the three possible endings.

Because the ending matters :)

Kwad

21. tps

tps Forum Resident

The screams are there on my CD, tons of reverb and on the left channel. Don't know if I'd describe it as "scaring small children"... :) As I remember, I bought this disc new in the early 1980's. Don't have it here in front of me, just the FLAC files on the computer, but I can dig it out if need be.

22. Steve Hoffman

Heh, yeah.

I'm now so confused. I really have never come upon this wacky type of thing in all these years of doing this stuff.

There are three endings. The first one (around 3:00 in, when the first tom whack sounds) has NO b/g weirdness at all. The second one (used the most) has a bit of background moaning and screaming. The third one has intense screaming and moaning.

Oh well, it still beats working in fast food..

bleachershane and Primosanteria like this.
  23. jojopuppyfish

jojopuppyfish Senior Member

Steve-
    Is this a rare time you'd try and contact the band on this question?

24. johnny33

johnny33 New Member

So there *is* supposedly one without any screaming or wailing at all? Or just variations of the moaning screaming?

25. Steve Hoffman

Going by the band diary info even they couldn't decide which ending they liked the best. That's why they tried all three at various times during the album's run.

Heck, all three are on different USA pressings.

It's wacky but now that I've pulled a bunch of pressings, I think I have the answer. Gotta recut side two of this monster..:)