Deep Discount deep discounts*

Discussion in 'Coupons, Discounts & Sales' started by Marvin, May 9, 2016.

1. samwisefan

samwisefan Forum Resident

Well, as I'm somewhat new to the Blowout Bin, this past week's flurry of new items was a first for me. And it certainly was a wake up call.
    I had no idea the new items would be gobbled up so quickly, literally like piranhas to an animal carcass. Nor did I know that the one big item I ordered (Keane's "Cause & Effect" super deluxe box) that had been on my wish list and that I was deliriously happy about getting at such a good price would end up being canceled. Or that all these other items I saw people posting about would be gone by the time I tried to order them. Or that when there's a big addition of new stuff to the Bin you basically have to be able to put your life on hold & drop everything in order to shop.
    So I've spent the past several days wondering what I could have done wrong to be stuck with a refund instead of the item I so deeply desired... Is it because I used a discount code? Or that I ordered it on PopMarket instead of DD, thereby forgoing the extra money they would have received for large item shipping? Or do they honestly just fill orders chronologically as they come in, with no regard to cutting sales off before they run out of stock?
    Again, this is all new to me and it's been very discouraging. And I think to myself, "Do I really have to go back to checking the Bin on a daily basis? And will I loose my mind going through 15,000 junk CDs/LPs every day? And is it a worthless endeavor because professional re-sellers will probably get everything before I have a chance?"

Mike6565, Tjazz, superstar19 and 6 others like this.
  2. SJP

SJP Forum Resident

Well described, and we've all been there.

When the bin reloads, you have to be lucky in terms of both timing and as you said, being able to drop everything and shop with reckless abandon. I wouldn't get too frustrated, just wait for it to happen again in a few months and we can all celebrate the choice finds and commiserate what we missed out on together.

Davidmk5, Tjazz, samwisefan and 6 others like this.
  3. CraigVC

CraigVC Senior Member

Yep, that sums it up. Welcome to the group, @samwisefan . :winkgrin:

4. DailyHiFi

DailyHiFi Forum Resident

After getting burned by the bin a few times myself, I've found that the best mindset is one of disbelief until you get a shipping confirmation.

In regards to how they decide who gets their order fulfilled, I'll repeat what I've said before:

But who knows the mind of the shark?

Who can predict his ways?

popscene, Tjazz, samwisefan and 5 others like this.
  5. Juggsnelson

Juggsnelson Senior Member

Yes it does! I'm waiting on Belinda myself.

6. Juggsnelson

I just keep the bin open on my phone and refresh the page a few times a day. You can see the total number of items in the bin....if it jumps up....get shopping! I also will place an order quickly if there is an item I really want, and then go back and finish ordering other items after.

7. hutlock

hutlock Forever Breathing

Yep. And bear in mind, as we’ve said here a billion times: this stock isn’t JUST on DD, it is also on Pop Market and all the other sites they own. So you are fighting not just with folks who watch this thread, or watch DD in general, but all those other sites as well.

We definitely all have missed out on stuff, but I’d venture to say that most of us are overwhelmingly happy with the results of Bin Watching. Some truly fantastic bargains to be had, but you’ll never get them all...

I don’t think, in any case, that using discount codes or anything else factors in though. Sometimes there is literally only one copy and you just need to move fast and be lucky. Sometimes things last for weeks even though a ton of us have ordered it. You just never know.

Who can predict his ways, indeed!!!

Jspmike, DailyHiFi, SJP and 5 others like this.
  8. samwisefan

Great advice everyone, thanks!

I do appreciate this thread and all of you who participate with buying suggestions, discounts codes, new stock alerts, etc. It's even opened me up to new artists, like The Hotrats album I purchased that I never would have known about if someone hadn't suggested it.

And honestly, it's just nice talking to people who still value physical media. Now if I only had more shelf space...

Davidmk5, Tjazz, hutlock and 5 others like this.
  9. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

still want that nitzer ebb set dammit

dcarwin, groovelocked, SJP and 4 others like this.
  10. Juggsnelson

Oh you had to open that wound!!!!

dcarwin, groovelocked, SJP and 5 others like this.
  11. hutlock

DAMN IT!!! Me too!!!!

12. Tjazz

Tjazz Breakfast at (a record store)

Fear of Missing Out :rolleyes: :winkgrin: :laugh: :shake:

Like RSD, you have to wait in line and find out later if the store has your selections in stock.

13. Mike6565

Mike6565 Hyperactive!

I look at it like a $1 scratch off lottery, gotta just have fun with it and if it ships its a great feeling. But if it gets cancelled, oh well. I don't get too worked up as I look at this and RSD purchases as just good clean fun... the community here has done a wonderful job of sharing some excellent finds to add to the fun... works for me anyway :tiphat:

latheofheaven, Tjazz, hutlock and 3 others like this.
  14. SJP

SJP Forum Resident

15. Suedebelly

Suedebelly Forum Resident

I picked this up over the weekend and it is enroute. Three CDs and a 34 page book for $3.99. Here's some more detail from the AllMusic 4 Star Review: "The 2014 John Coltrane anthology Sideman: Trane's Blue Note Sessions compiles cuts the influential saxophonist appeared on for other artists' various Blue Note albums. These are sides Coltrane recorded in 1956-1957, before he was the innovative giant he would become in the '60s. During this time, he was a working member of trumpeter Miles Davis' quintet, and an occasionally featured player with pianist Thelonious Monk. Here, however, Blue Note president Bruce Lundvall has brought together cuts Coltrane recorded for album sessions with three heavy-hitting artists, pianist Sonny Clark, bassist Paul Chambers, and saxophonist Johnny Griffin, with tracks culled from such albums as Clark's 1959 date Sonny's Crib, Chambers' 1956 and 1957 albums Chambers' Music and Whims of Chambers, and Griffin's 1957 classic A Blowin' Session. This is a three-disc set, presented in the original mono audio, and accompanied by a 34-page liner note booklet. While these tracks have been anthologized elsewhere, Sideman: Trane's Blue Note Sessions marks the first time all of Coltrane's recordings as a hired gun for the storied jazz label have been collected in one place; that alone makes this a welcome addition to Coltrane's catalog, not to mention a fascinating portrait of the saxophonist on the verge of his most transformative period."

16. SJP

SJP Forum Resident

Excellent contribution @Suedebelly. Makes it even more of a no-brainer purchase. I ordered something and needed this to get the free shipping. Effectively $3.39 with the discount, I'm surprised there are any remaining!

17. hutlock

I have all those Blue Note albums already but damn, I’m probably going to grab one for $3.99 because that’s ridiculous.

18. neubian

neubian Forum Resident

Thank you! I generally do not buy CDs, but I made an exception for this one. Even with $1.99 shipping plus tax it was under $6 (oh, with the HATTER discount).

19. Rob Zarzecki

Rob Zarzecki Forum Resident

Steal of the day. Will be great to play at home while working... And easier than flipping the MMJ and tone poet vinyl every so often.
    Rz

20. SJP

SJP Forum Resident

Steal of the other day, did anyone grab that Tangerine Dream live DVD for $3.99? It comes in a rather massive box with tons of memorabilia.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

21. Patanoia

Patanoia Third Ear Centre

I already have it, but Camille's CD "Ilo Veyou" is only $3.99. Not her best album (that would be "Le Fil"), but worth it for tracks like this.

22. samwisefan

OMG, it looks gorgeous. I almost bought it, but then I remembered the Coventry Cathedral video is already on the "In Search of Hades" boxed set that I own, so I decided to let others have a chance at it. I'm glad you got one! The memorabilia looks really cool.

23. SJP

SJP Forum Resident

I have Hades as well but I didn’t even think to check if this was on there. Part of the frenzy of the sale!

24. hutlock

I got one—it’s fantastic. For $3.99 I don’t think it really matters that you repeated material. You can spend that much on Starbucks without even thinking about it.

Tjazz, samwisefan, SJP and 2 others like this.
  25. dcarwin

dcarwin Forum Resident

This is going back a few pages, but if anyone bought that Zippo LP that @jason202 pictured, and turns out it's not to their taste - please let me know. In other news, I did receive the Help! DVD box from PopMarket, so I have that going for me. :)

(It has a recreation of the film script in there! Beatles fans are hardcore)

hutlock, DailyHiFi and latheofheaven like this.