Rhino Remixes "Chicago Transit Authority" for 50th Anniversary

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by arob71, Jun 26, 2019.

1. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Nope, recorded in New York.

The second album was mostly recorded in Hollywood, with Ballet recorded in New York.

Hep Alien, longdist01, g.z. and 2 others like this.
  2. Tim Lookingbill

Tim Lookingbill Alfalfa Male

Understandable. Heavy reverb even on percussive sounds is killed listening from a distance like on speakers, but this remix goes way too far with the reverb on top of the other instruments being pushed back or having their stereo image that can be heard on the old remix on both left right channels now buried in mono.

I do my own mastering on music I like that's murky or recorded in mono but of a big stage performance. The opening theme to Guy's & Dolls "Fugue For Tinhorns". I broadened the sound stage with a delicate amount of reverb that makes them sound like the singers are on a sound stage with very short echo decay. Sounds so much better even played on my W-King portable outdoor boombox that's loud as hell.

It took forever to find just the right amount of reverb which I see must've challenged Jessup during the remix. He just went too far.

3. lemonade kid

lemonade kid Forever Changing

Since I have no other version, my original NM vinyl is as stunning as I could possibly want.
    One of the best sounding LPs I have in my 800+ mostly 1960's-1970's collection...IMHO.

Two-eye Columbia rules...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Chicago I (CTA) & II are all the Chicago I will ever need. NM-first pressings.

[​IMG]

:righton:

RogerE, stevef, Rick58 and 7 others like this.
  4. Psychedelic Good Trip

Psychedelic Good Trip Beautiful Psychedelic Colors Everywhere

True gold their young fella!!

;)

g.z. likes this.
  5. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Not a big surprise. It's part of their KGP (Kevin Gray Product) line. He has engineered so many great LP issues over the years.

6. lemonade kid

Now you're making me feel young again – I bought these within months of their first release!

April 28, 1969

[​IMG]

January 26, 1970

[​IMG]

stevef, hi_watt, Keith todaro and 4 others like this.
  7. Psychedelic Good Trip

Wow!! You lived the history! Anyway we all could feel younger is a good thing for all of us. Older or younger as long as you have your health life is good. IMHO

Two great Chicago albums during the 2 lp 3 album run 1969-1971. Must of been something getting these lps right after there release.

;)

8. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

I have the same pressings in my collection but both albums are only in 'Okay/Good' condition here. So, let me be jealous. lol

longdist01, lemonade kid and g.z. like this.
  9. Chest Pains Productions

Chest Pains Productions Forum Resident

Nothing beats nice fat groove 2 Eye!!

10. Tim Lookingbill

Tim Lookingbill Alfalfa Male

Any needle drops available to give a listen for sound quality off this two eye Columbia LP album? Or does it sound as good as the 2002 CD?

I've never had any Chicago LP vinyl album so I don't know what would sound better over another format.

11. Dr. Funk

Dr. Funk Vintage Dust

It definitely sounds better than the 2002 Rhino cd...to my ears.

andrewskyDE and g.z. like this.
  12. lemonade kid

Sorry, no. But I will always choose analog for my TT...it has to sound better to my ears.

13. lemonade kid

Yep!

14. misteranderson

misteranderson Forum Resident

I have a practically unplayed repress from '70 with the gold Columbia logo all around the label that beats the 2 Eye in my wife's collection, simply because there's practically no surface noise. It was also $5, so I couldn't pass it up.

Hep Alien, Rick58 and bRETT like this.
  15. lemonade kid

Yes...feeling younger and staying safe everyday! Music is the fountain of youth!
    And CTA said it for a us all back then with their I & II, side four songs...
    "The whole World's watching..."

Prologue August 29, 1968 – Someday

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

neruda and Psychedelic Good Trip like this.
  16. lemonade kid

Chicago III is great but I & II are the ones that really hold a dear place in my heart...
    it was the times...

And Danny may be my all time favorite drummer! Terry was the best ever.
    The jazz lines on
    The Approaching Storm are stunning.

I, II & III. When Chicago were the underground rock and jazz masters with a message, without being trite. They lost me gradually or rather quickly thereafter as they moved into the mainstream MOR.

17. Psychedelic Good Trip

WOW!! Your not kidding. Those dudes could of made one or two incredible all jazz albums. Their musical knowledge and prowess were incredible.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2021
    longdist01, vegafleet and 905 like this.
  18. lemonade kid

Yes indeed. Free Country is one of deepest jazz excursions in rock history...
    they must have had some a amazing free-form jazz jam sessions, late night.

longdist01, agundy, Hall Cat and 2 others like this.
  19. lemonade kid

I'd buy this...on sight...unheard. Wouldn't this be nice....just a fantasy nowadays I suppose.
    My little Photoshop fantasy, a takeoff on the classic WAR double LP set:

[​IMG]

20. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

In fact, the horn players wanted to do just that around 1974, but Peter Cetera and the producer rejected the idea. They sort of compromised on "Chicago VII".

Reis and lemonade kid like this.
  21. RoyalScam

RoyalScam Luckless Pedestrian

Which is probably my favorite Chicago album...

905, Planbee and EdgardV like this.
  22. slop101

slop101 Guitar Geek

...said no one ever?

23. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

Speak for yerself, dude, got VII cranked up right now, "Aire", and Terry Kath's solo is kicking my ass all over the rec room. VII and CTA have always been my favourite Chicago albums.

MikeMig, Hep Alien, 905 and 6 others like this.
  24. dkurtis

dkurtis sonoftheFather

It does have a couple of Chicago's classics on it. (I've Been) Searchin' So Long and Wishing You Were Here are two essential Chicago songs from my High School and College dating life. They will always be reserved for the one girl I should have pursued harder. :doh:
    Please Jessup, do not remix it.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2021
    hi_watt likes this.
  25. dkurtis

dkurtis sonoftheFather

The prophetic 29th post in this thread.

audiomixer likes this.