Tom Petty/Heartbreakers: 2019 - 2023 Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by McCool, Jan 11, 2019.

1. DolphinsIntheJacuzzi

DolphinsIntheJacuzzi Forum Resident

From what I've read from Ryan Ulyate, Tom's producer and overseer of all TP remastering, both sets were set up long before they were released. MCA had been wanting to release an expanded "hits" compilation for some time, but they agreed to wait and let Warner's release their rarities set first.

So, not really a cash grab. Quite the opposite, actually. They could have decided to rush release The Best Of Everything. But they let Warner's release American Treasure first. So, you're entitled to your opinion, obviously. But it seems your opinion may be formed on a faulty assumption.

2. faceinthecrowd

faceinthecrowd Forum Resident

Being a fan of a band is about a lot more than just purchasing something or not.

FourWalledWorld likes this.
  3. FJFP

FJFP Host for the 'Mixology' Mix Differences Podcast

My main gripe with TBOE was the lack of ‘Anything That’s Rock and Roll”, and the design of the cover. Beyond that, it’s a great time.

4. DolphinsIntheJacuzzi

DolphinsIntheJacuzzi Forum Resident

Both legitimate complaints. Especially the album cover. That was lame. I mean, why use a photo of Tom with a cigarette and then airbrush the cigarette? I mean, wouldn't it have been just as easy to find a picture without a cigarette in the first place? Lame. And yeah, "Anything That's Rock and Roll" should have been on there. But a good set, nonetheless.

KinkySmallFace1991 and FJFP like this.
  5. J_D__

J_D__ Senior Member

I’m still hoping they decide to offer a Tom Petty release for Record Store Day. Specifically “Kiss My Amps III” from the Hypnotic Eye tour.

6. Rkellner

Rkellner Forum Resident

For those curious, the blue vinyl Full Moon Fever is a repress of the last Chris Bellham remaster. CB in the deadwax.

7. Peja11

Peja11 PC is Neither

+1. The black vinyl (discogs #r10104912) was remastered in 2015 and released 6-2- 2017. The blue repress (discogs #r17353021)was released February 2021.

randy9700 likes this.
  8. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

Wasn't there some agreement that both Warner and Universal put out there own best off / hits compilation? American Treasure and The Best Of Everything are quite different beasts in fact. One was a deep catalogue retrospective , the other a greatest hits. Even if you felt forced to buy both neither was a bad deal. Warner's set is a lot nicer all round in terms of content and presentation but TBOE also was there for the more casual fan.

jeremylr likes this.
  9. Rainy Taxi

Rainy Taxi The Art of Almost

Nice interview the other day with almost-Heartbreaker percussionist Phil Jones, who recorded and toured with the band in the '80s and played drums on Full Moon Fever.

Rolling Stone interview with Phil Jones

He talks about meeting and starting to work with TP, the drum/percussion sound of the band, Howie Epstein and more. Worth a read.

10. KinkySmallFace1991

KinkySmallFace1991 Will you come back to me, Sweet Lady Genevieve?

So, he wasn’t on Torpedoes, you learn something new every day! Most of the percussion on that track must’ve been Tom and Stan, then, barring Keltner playing the shaker on “Refugee”.

Rockford & Roll likes this.
  11. Hooodo Man

Hooodo Man Forum Resident

that was a great article! FWIW If anyone is using an ad blocker and can not get to it just use an incognito window and you should be fine. :)

12. Fannymac

Fannymac Forum Resident

Any news on Benmont’s sophomore effort?
    Does he still have a record deal with Blue Note?

Rockford & Roll likes this.
  13. Hooodo Man

I think he mentioned writing some songs on his IG a few weeks back but I don't think Ben is too close to releasing anything.

14. faceinthecrowd

faceinthecrowd Forum Resident

He's been recording at a studio in Topanga for the last couple of months.

15. GoodKitty

GoodKitty FloydM

May 21 ..... today is Stan Lynch's 66th birthday. :cheers:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. dollardime

dollardime Forum Resident

Kenny Vaughan talks about opening for and hanging with Tom Petty and The Heartbreakers while touring with Lucinda Williams. This is a great listen as there is not a lot of behind the scenes anecdotes out there relating to Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers.

They don't want to see your guitar, dude. :D

Last edited: May 30, 2021
    rd1, The Killer, budwhite and 6 others like this.
  17. Rockford & Roll

Rockford & Roll Forum Resident

Thanks for this post. Cousin Kenny is just good people. Nice stories about Tom and the band. I've heard Kenny talk about the guitar maker from Kentucky. I think Charles lives in Winchester?

The Killer and faceinthecrowd like this.
  18. KinkySmallFace1991

KinkySmallFace1991 Will you come back to me, Sweet Lady Genevieve?

I met Cousin Kenny when he and his buddy from Nashville played a local music festival in September 2015, and since I was a member of the crew working the festival, I got to hang out with him when the first night ended. Besides being an absolutely boss on the guitar, he was such a genuine, honest guy. Since I play guitar myself, we talked guitars and tone. I told him about how much I loved Tom's music, and he told me some of the stories that you all hear in the video. I'm happy he's chosen to share them with the world.

19. maccawings

maccawings Senior Member

Tom Petty channel on Sirius XM has been teasing a Petty family announcement at 9am tomorrow morning, do we have any clue what it is?

Rockford & Roll and jeremylr like this.
  20. Sean Murdock

Sean Murdock Forum Intruder

Something else on top of the revamped She's The One soundtrack? The Petty Estate is certainly keeping us on our toes lately...

J_D__ likes this.
  21. maccawings

maccawings Senior Member

Sure are, hoping for something good!

22. Hooodo Man

willing to bet it's simply a music video for the RSD release. Seems a little soon to be announcing or promoting a new archival project as the revamped soundtrack is not in wide release until July.

KinkySmallFace1991 and J_D__ like this.
  23. J_D__

J_D__ Senior Member

True but, maybe the family needs $$$!

24. Hooodo Man

The money comes from the new Trucker Hats, scented candles, lollypops, and such. ;)

J_D__ likes this.
  25. The Killer

The Killer Dung Heap Rooster

Ah one of my favourites talkin' about another of my favourites, what a great interview.

I've seen Kenny a few times with Marty and he's terrific, wish he'd release some more music, his album V is a firm favourite. Class act, as was Petty.