Always up for something new: Roon 1.8

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by jmrife, Feb 2, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RGBARGEE

RGBARGEE Forum Resident

Has anyone tried the new version with a Bluesound Node 2i yet? I'm especially interested if you are running the App from an iPad.

Thanks!

2. grx8

grx8 Senior Member

I did. I’m kind of new to Roon, version 1.7 was great, I tried 1.8 yesterday and seems to be...slower.

The thing is, I’m sure it doesn’t sound that good, I think (hear) that the Node2i sounds better using the BluOS app.

3. terzinator

terzinator boots lost in transit

Pi (at least with RoPieee) shouldn't need any updates.

4. elvisizer

elvisizer Forum Resident

yep, RoPieee != DietPi
    still waitin'

5. DyersEve726

DyersEve726 Schmo Diggy

I haven't dug into all the details of the update yet, but the responsiveness is much appreciated. Looks like they're letting the remote app stay alive and connected in the background (the way it always should have been). Really wish they'd do notification bar integration.

gabbleratchet7 likes this.
  6. Encore

Encore Forum Resident

Actually, after having listened some more, I think that sound has improved quite a bit with version 1.8. Bigger soundstage, easier to follow instrumental lines, more distinctive vocals. Maybe also a little better bass.

7. tumpux

tumpux Well-Known Member

No way. Roon Labs would highlight it if they add that feature.

Jaap74 likes this.
  8. elvisizer

elvisizer Forum Resident

No changes in sound with 1.8 here, no reason to expect any from what Roon said about the changes in this update. Could be that some DACS were added as officially supported and behave differently now, settings reset by the update, etc.
    If it sounds significantly different I'd go check the settings and make sure nothing's changed/reset within roon or your endpoint.

9. JorgeGvb

JorgeGvb Senior Member

I can listen to my music using Roon 1.8 or the Auralic LDS App and it sounds exactly the same.

10. Kray

Kray Sleuthing

Yeah I’m not sure how Roon would get more “bit perfect’er” but who knows

Machiventa likes this.
  11. Jaap74

Jaap74 Forum Resident

Yeah no change in sound for me, I would be worried if there was.......

12. Kristofa

Kristofa Enthusiast of small convenient sound carrier units

I read on the Roon site that folks who use DSP might hear improvements.

The more I use 1.8 on my laptop, the more I am becoming comfortable with it and like the interface. It still has bugs. I haven't been able to access the Home page all night. It just keeps showing the working Roon logo. Rebooting didn't help. Oh well. Still lots to look at and explore without that. I am sure it will work itself out eventually once the dust settles.

I will certainly need to get a large screen iPad as a remote.

13. johnnypaddock

johnnypaddock Senior Member

I've tried to follow the "feedback" thread on the Roon page, but it has been getting absolutely pummeled with posts. I'm enjoying the release so far. There are definitely some minor annoyances, but overall it's pretty responsive and easy enough to use. Still an enormous leap compared to JRiver, at least with my library.

I don't hear any difference in sound quality, although I don't use EQ. In any case, I think it would be extremely difficult if not impossible to properly compare the two. By the time the update runs, my audio memory would be untrustworthy. Plus you can't then go back to the original sound.

Jaap74 likes this.
  14. Stereosound

Stereosound Forum Resident

Live stream with David Solomon (Qobuz) and Director of Product (Roon) Mike Fass on Thursday February 25th at 4:00pm.

Link for more info. here: David Solomon

JorgeGvb likes this.
  15. Stereosound

Stereosound Forum Resident

16. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music...

I haven't really used Roon in several months as I have a listening task, choir, or whatever that requires a smart playlist from Music (iTunes). It's been a long journey but I will be glad to return to Roon as my main playback software in a couple of more months.

17. K Knight

K Knight Forum Resident

As someone who studied HCI and ran apps and branded content for Vodafone, Roon drives me crazy. - Especially in the new mobile app. I search for a song (or whatever) and then click the back button and it takes me back to my previous search not to where I was. So I lose my playlist or queue. Then I end up scrolling back to where I was. I can't even find my hearts of songs/composers.

I get the redesign is better and fun, but they don't have people working on this. It's confusing for someone who even worked in the industry. Just paid for the year and am hoping they will fix these issues.

Kristofa likes this.
  18. Kristofa

Reverend!

19. Blue Gecko

Blue Gecko Peace

Actually, I'd just be happy if the Roon search function found the album I'm looking for and have in my collection. Roon struggles finding multiple versions of the same album. For example, Pink Floyd--The Wall. I have two versions, one de-emphasised and one without pre-emphasis flags. The one with de-emphasis applied I can only find searching by genre.

Within the search function, Roon only lists one version (in my library) along with Tidal versions. Search seems like a basic function that frequently fails. Kinda weird for a database product...

20. Monty12

Monty12 Forum Resident

I have had the same issues...for me, I had to go to setting and enable show hidden albums. My problem went away. Have you tried this of yet?

21. Kristofa

U
    Unhide albums usually works for me as well.

22. rockin_since_58

rockin_since_58 Forum Resident

Thanks for the tip, gonna unhide now.

23. K Knight

K Knight Forum Resident

For something that's a premium product (it's expensive for what it does), it is really buggy I find. Which I don't appreciate for being an expensive product.

Also it should be able to add tunes into your Tidal playlists. It's not really interoperable.

Blue Gecko likes this.
  24. Blue Gecko

Blue Gecko Peace

Yes... just verified--I had the setting set to show hidden tracks and albums (probably since initial install). Thanks for the tip, I bought Roon quite a while ago now and it is nice to be reminded of settings I haven't looked at for a while. :)

Coming from a database design (and software) background starting in the 1980s... my official speculation it that the database design is not as "complete" as is necessary. Somehow Roon is storing information inconsistently. Or perhaps the front end queries are not returning complete results. Either way, Q/A should be more rigorous. At least that's my armchair opinion... :)

NapaBob likes this.
  25. Blue Gecko

Blue Gecko Peace

Per above post and post #119, I followed this up on Roon Forum... so far crickets. It's been a few days and I'm not sure I'll receive any follow-up at Roon.

Below is my Roon Forum post and follow-up. Perhaps a Hoffman Forum Member may be able to provide assistance since they may be more likely to own duplicate pressings of albums.

Duplicates albums NOT shown within Version Tab (I want to see ALL Duplicates Always)

Version 1.8 does not currently show all versions of an Album using the Versions Tab. As a simple example, I have 3 versions of In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida, yet Roon only displays one (and an optional Tidal version when viewing the Version Tab. I know the other version are imported and that they previously displayed correctly in past versions of Roon. Note that I can find the other versions using other methods such as searching genre tags and other methods. I have multiple examples that are more complex to illustrate but let’s try for the easy case first.
    I been a Roon user for multiple years and I am aware of the “Show Hidden Tracks and Albums” setting which I have set to “Yes”. The albums are also not listed in the “Settings>Library>Skipped” files area, I’ve never had any files “skipped” on import.
    I have a large library with multiple instances of resolution, format, and pressing plant variations (Roon would consider these “duplicates”) which may sound different or may in some cases be “exact” duplicates that I would like to continue to view and access. I’ve developed my own file and tagging structure over the past two decades such that they are easily tracked and identifiable within Roon (when I can display them).
    Any ideas on how I can see ALL Duplicates Always within Roon 1.8?

Follow-up clarification to (Which screen are you seeing this on Albums screen, Artist Overview, Artist Discography, All of them?):

Further downstream…
    For Example, using Search: “Iron Butterfly” results in:
    Top Result: Iron Butterfly
    Artists: Iron Butterfly, Iron Maiden, Iron & Wine, Iron Fire, etc.
    Select Iron Butterfly
    Click “DISCOGRAPHY” (just to the right of OVERVIEW option)
    Click the “In Library” Badge (between the Focus option and “Favorites” Badge)
    Albums Listed: In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida, Ball, Fillmore East 1968
    Select In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida
    Click “VERSIONS” (just to the right of TRACKS and CREDITS options)
    Only 1 version is viewable vs. the 3 versions I own.
    Note that all 3 versions are displayed when selecting OVERVIEW vs. DISCOGRAPHY in the above example (“Albums in my library” section)
    I’m not sure why or how this can happen and suspect that the “In Library” Badge filter function was not fully tested in Q/A since the album versions appear in other searches–it’s the inconsistency that is bothersome.

Tony-A likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.