Which movie should get an extended/director’s cut?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Speedmaster, Mar 1, 2021.

1. Speedmaster

Speedmaster We’re all walking through this darkness on our own Thread Starter

As a film buff I’m always interested in new versions of a beloved movie. Most director’s cuts improve the movie, but not all. Some extended cuts do too (but mostly without the directors consent, so it’s more hit or miss).

But what movies don’t have a extended or director’s cut, but that you would like to see?

I would love to see a new extended version of Ben Afflecks The Town. He made a 4 hour rough cut and cut it down to 2 hours for the theatrical release. A 150-minutes version was released on dvd/bluray, which is better than the theatrical version imho. I would love to see a 3-4 hour ish version.

Which movie would you like to see get the directors or extended cut treatment?

2. bostonscoots

bostonscoots Forum Resident

What I most enjoy about "The Director's Cut" of any movie is seeing "the process" - what creative decisions either worked or didn't and what influence the studios exerted over the eventual final product.

Off the top of my head, I'd love to see a different cut of Never Say Never Again. Not that it's a "great" film but the original cut lasted over three hours, so a lot of footage might still be in a can somewhere. Also, while they're recutting the movie why not rescore it as well? There's a fan cut of the film that removes Michel Legrand's lazy ass score and replaces it with music from previous James Bond movies. Damn if the movie doesn't get a decent kick in the ass from it, too. The same fan cut even adds the familiar 007 gun barrel to the opening.

Sean Connery and Irvin Kershner are both dead and EON owns Never Say Never Again, so this is just wishful thinking...but stranger things have happened and I think fans would want to see it.

Pete Puma, LeBon Bush and rockerreds like this.
  3. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

I was reading about Mike Nichols’s “Catch-22” last night and thinking it might be interesting to see an extended version of that — there was a lot more material shot with all those actors, and the movie suffered from having to leave so much of the book out. Don’t know what the odds are of deleted material surviving from a 1970 movie, though (plus Nichols isn’t around anymore and probably wouldn’t have wanted to revisit it).

4. Juan Matus

Juan Matus Reformed Audiophile

They could have made those Lord of the Rings movies even longer I would have watched it.

5. polchik

polchik Forum Resident

the parallax view.

i watched it again recently, and that film just seems like a WHOLE LOT, was cut out of it.

ssmith3046, 64FALCON, jbmcb and 3 others like this.
  6. geetar_await

geetar_await I heart Linux.

i would like to see a director's of Driving Miss Daisy.

7. razerx

razerx Forum Resident

I am sure Tarantino has enough materials to rework Kill Bill into 3 chapters. I’ll watch it.

TheVU likes this.
  8. Bambi vs. Godzilla.

64FALCON and Jimmy B. like this.
  9. will_b_free

will_b_free Forum Resident

Galaxy Quest was famously toned down to a PG rating. Although it would only be a few minutes difference - or perhaps only one word’s difference - depending on what footage could be found, an alternate cut would be fantastic to see.

[​IMG]

razerx, vince, Veronica Mars and 3 others like this.
  10. Derek Slazenger

Derek Slazenger Specs, rugs & rock n roll

Probably a pipedream but I'd love to see Tony Kaye's original vision for American History X.

11. Mirrorblade.1

Mirrorblade.1 Forum Resident

Dragonslayor there is a three hour cut I would love to see.

64FALCON likes this.
  12. Timeless Classics

Timeless Classics Senior Member

Planes, Trains, and Automobiles

13. Quadboy

Quadboy Forum Resident

Maybe they wanted to give us something to think about?
    I caught it recently again on Amazon and I always ask myself 'when were the Parallax people on to him being a reporter'?
    Is this the only film where the chief villain (Bill McKinney) appears in many scenes but never has 1 line of audible dialogue?

Regginold31 likes this.
  14. Speedmaster

Speedmaster We’re all walking through this darkness on our own Thread Starter

Probably will never happen, but a director’s cut of Event Horizon would be an instant buy for me.

15. a customer

a customer Forum Resident

Gangs of new york i believe was cut down in time by an hour or so.

EVOLVIST, Frozensoda and shug4476 like this.
  16. D-rock

D-rock Senior Member

The Monkees 'Head' (1968)

Jimmy B. likes this.
  17. altaeria

altaeria Forum Resident

I'd like to see It's a Wonderful Life restored with its more appropriate original "lost" ending...

18. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

there are a few reasons not to want a DC...when they decide to REMOVE key scenes...one of the best examples is Payback...the DC is horrible.

on the flip I'd like to see an extended cut of the Family Man.

64FALCON likes this.
  19. Michael

that is an abomination! idiots...

20. Michael

yes! I can dig that. : )

Speedmaster likes this.
  21. Michael

one of my favorites! it would be too cool for sure!

Dennis Metz and longdist01 like this.
  22. jojopuppyfish

jojopuppyfish Senior Member

Supposedly there is a Television cut of Prince of the City which is an hour longer but is amazing. (Lots of extended scenes) Last broadcast in the 1980s.
    Would love to watch it. I still think Prince of the City should have won the oscars over Chariots of Fire.

23. Torontotom

Torontotom Forum Resident

9 1/2 Weeks. Apparently there was lots of unused footage.

Death Becomes Her. Tracey Ullman was supposed to be in the film but her scenes were cut.

Dangerous Minds. Andy Garcia's scenes were cut.

hi_watt likes this.
  24. Veronica Mars

Veronica Mars Forum Resident

It's a perfect movie no need for any alterations.

25. FredHubbard

FredHubbard Forum Resident

Rise Of Skywalker.

mx20 likes this.