Are you satisfied with your system or feel you “need” to upgrade?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Khorn, Mar 4, 2021.

1. Khorn

Khorn Dynagrunt Obversarian Thread Starter

I had been very satisfied with my system for many years only needing to upgrade source components once in a while. Circumstances of disability required major changes so I figured I might as well upgrade at the same time. We bought a whole new A/V system for the bed/sitting room and the only thing remaining from the past main system are my speakers that I don’t intend to change. The upgrades are very substantial and I think this is the end game except if I had to move to a condo or something then the speakers might have to go (hope not).
    How many here are at the point where they have no intention of “upgrading” unless unforeseen circumstances dictate you do so?

The Pinhead, GyroT, mreeter and 3 others like this.
  2. shug4476

shug4476 Nullius In Verba

I have had dozens of "upgrades" in the past 18 months and I have ended up selling just about all of them and returning to my original set up!

3. Steve356

Steve356 Forum Resident

Since I bought my latest amp, I've been very happy with sound quality so no interest in any changes for the foreseeable future.

bever70 and Khorn like this.
  4. Khorn

Good that you’re happy now. Hope you didn’t lose too much in the attempts to upgrade.

izeek likes this.
  5. talkingh

talkingh Vibes Controller

I'm getting there...would like bigger speakers but no space..have forte III's..would love the k'horns you have...so will get subs soon...amp and DAC very happy with them..will upgrade the turntable next year...still love what i have and feel happy and lucky to have what i do

Khorn likes this.
  6. shug4476

shug4476 Nullius In Verba

Made a profit every time!

7. Khorn

Great to hear. That’s the way to do it if you can.

8. vinylontubes

vinylontubes Forum Resident

I think about upgrades much. I did get a new cartridge a few years ago, so I bought new phono stage to pair with it. Likely the next cartridge I'll get cartridge that pairs with that phono stage. Before that, I was offered a good price on the speakers I have now. So I bought an integrated that paired with them. Barring something breaking or getting damaged, I don't intend to change anything. If I somehow came across a huge amount of money, this might change, but I'd probably keep the system and just build another system.

Khorn likes this.
  9. DavidR

DavidR Forum Resident

I suffer from GAS so unless I run out of money that affliction will remain.

CoryG85, Paul Van, mreeter and 3 others like this.
  10. Stan94

Stan94 Forum Resident

I am satisfied and yet I still need to upgrade. It's irrational.

CoryG85, imsjry, Tim 2 and 12 others like this.
  11. Echoes Myron

Echoes Myron Forum Resident

Very satisfied. A new phono stage for my office is all I really want, although there will definitely also be some cart upgrades in my future.

jonwoody, WithinYourReach and Khorn like this.
  12. Melvin

Melvin Forum Resident

I'm quite satisfied. Simple curiosity is what fueled many changes over the years and I'm glad for the experience. I've learned a lot along the way, including my own taste and preferences. I have enough core gear in storage to last many years so any future change would likely be on the streamer/renderer side if need be.

action pact and Khorn like this.
  13. manxman

manxman Forum Resident

I'm satisfied with what I have. I'll be upgrading my streaming transport in the next couple of years, as this is a relatively new and constantly evolving technology, but everything else can stay as it is.

Khorn and Melvin like this.
  14. geezin'

geezin' Forum Resident

Happy with my modest stuff. I'd really like a pair of Heresy I speakers to match the Fisher 440T but it's not a "need."

seacliffe301 and Khorn like this.
  15. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

During 2020 I upgraded my entire system except for my speakers, which l’ll likely keep forever. I have zero compulsion to change or upgrade anything now, I am completely satisfied with the choices I made.

jusbe, rcsrich, Khorn and 1 other person like this.
  16. Daedalus

Daedalus I haven't heard it all.....

I have reached audio nirvana. I have also reached imminent retirement.

dennis1077, Tim 2, mreeter and 17 others like this.
  17. action pact

Spot on comment. Unfortunately the only way to really get an understanding of not only what each manufacturer or design philosophy provides, but also what one’s own preferences are, is to cycle different gear in and out. That’s what really makes this hobby so expensive, and it takes years to build up the experience needed to make informed buying decisions.

That’s the value in working with a good dealer who knows what questions to ask a customer, to help them find the gear that will best fit their needs and preferences within a certain budget. I remember about ten years ago or so, when I was ready to buy some new speakers , @KT88 of Uptown Audio spent a considerable amount of time communicating with me via email prior to my buying something, and I really appreciated his taking the time to properly advise me.

Tim 2, KT88, jusbe and 4 others like this.
  18. jek57

jek57 Forum Resident

After spending close to 4 grand last year on a power amp and speakers very happy with both McIntosh Mc152 Wharfdales Diamonds 240s but of course there's always room for improvement but my wallet and wife doesn't think so

Tim 2, jusbe and Khorn like this.
  19. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

I got a better nicer AVR with a tad more power (110 watts over 100 watts per chan), and 7.1 over the 5.1 it replaced, and then I got a newer DAC. I didn't feel that the improvements were at all that significant. It still sounded very good, but I want to hear a real major noticeable improvement.

So I decided new speakers might better reveal what the new upgrades to equipment are about. The speakers are to be delivered today for one, and tomorrow for the other. Weird that they were each sent from different states and are each arriving at different times.

Khorn and timind like this.
  20. action pact

I’m also thinking towards the day about 6 years in the future when I can retire. My mindset is to remove the excesses in my possessions and focus on refinement and quality. Less = more when it’s done thoughtfully. Instead of chasing the newest and brightest, I’m looking forward to having the time to enjoy what I have.

Tim 2, WithinYourReach, jusbe and 4 others like this.
  21. bever70

bever70 Let No-one Live Rent Free in Your Head!

Completely satisfied. Took me about 3 years to build a new system around my 30 year old speakers. Ups and downs along the way, but mainly ups. Now I can put my mind at ease and focus back on my other hobby, bike racing, which has been put on hold for...3 years :D.

22. Standingstones

Standingstones Forum Resident

I’m always thinking about upgrading, it’s just a matter of funds.

Khorn likes this.
  23. Ingenieur

Ingenieur Just a dog looking for a home...

I'm in a good place, listening more and enjoying it.
    May consider a TT upgrade.

Khorn likes this.
  24. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

My analogue playback from good vinyl still sounds better than most of my digital. I am hoping that with the recent upgrades including new DAC, my NEW speakers will show a big improvement for CD and FLAC file playback.

Deep in my gut I think that the new speakers will improve CD and 16/44 FLAC sound reproduction, but I will still think it lacks when compared to my analogue playback. High-Res plays and sounds exceptional, but CDs I need a jump in quality that I have not yet reached. Maybe these new speakers? An even better DAC?

Khorn likes this.
  25. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

My new AVR was found on Craig's List for $50.

That savings meant that I could afford to get new speakers if I could find a deal on them which I did, Polk Towers that were $2,000 originally are marked down to $750 each right not. So even me being on a tight budget I had to jump on them.

izeek, rcsrich, timind and 2 others like this.