Time for a New Phono Cart (and maybe preamp)

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by youraveragevinylcollector, Feb 23, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. youraveragevinylcollector

youraveragevinylcollector Forum Resident Thread Starter

Just ordered a Schiit Mani, and a VM540ML, Amazon has a monthly payment system now, and I have to pay just under $50 per month. That helps me a bunch! Thank y'all for your help, before I get them, what would be the best settings on the Mani for that cart?

2. 33na3rd

33na3rd Forum Resident

Input impedance, 47K

Gain, 42dB

What interconnects are you planning to use between your PLX-1000 and your Mani?
    The AT cartridges want to see between 100-200pF. I believe that the Mani is 100pF. The PLX-1000's tonearm probably adds 20-25pF, leaving around 75pF for your interconnects. I wouldn't use an IC higher than that. The IC's that came with my PLX-1000 measured 135pF. That's not too bad, but I wanted something lower so I got some Belden 1505F cable at 17pF per foot from Bluejeans.

3. youraveragevinylcollector

I haven't gotten that far yet. I know good wiring and cables can make a difference, but my system simply won't show a difference like that, made strictly with cables and connections.

4. youraveragevinylcollector

Well, I've got the preamp and cart hooked up, and wow. If it sounds this good out of the box, I can't imagine how it'll sound when it's broken in! Having some trouble with the alignment, but I've got it as close as I possibly can. The "half screwhole" mounting of an Audio Technica cart is something I don't miss!

33na3rd likes this.
  5. Sterling1

Sterling1 Forum Resident

Did you buy the cart/headshell combo?

6. youraveragevinylcollector

No, as I'd have to readjust it anyway, they're aligned at 52mm and the Pioneer standard is 54mm.

7. Sterling1

Sterling1 Forum Resident

I have one with headshell coming in today from Amazon. I needed a headshell, and seems the one from audio-technica is ideal. I am expecting a need to adjust stylus to headshell tail distance, as well as VTA. As I have read, the stylus to headshell distance is 52.5 mm. That's the first thing I'm going to measure. It seems that would be an appropriate adjustment if the headshell were going onto an audio-technica turntable.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.