Looking back at it Cassettes were a great way of listening to music

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Houseplants, Mar 5, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

But it's all on YouTube, so why bother?

Rfreeman likes this.
  2. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

There's so much available cheaply, there's no need to spend much. Having said that, I know a collector who semi-regularly pays into three figures for rare ones. :yikes:

3. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

The biggest flaw was really the high speed duplication (like 80x) - but without that they would not have been able to price competitively with LPs.

dlokazip likes this.
  4. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

Things seem to come and go on YouTube. If I have the physical product, I'm not at somebody else's whim.

5. mbrownp1

mbrownp1 Forum Resident

Fantastic avatar.

Purple Jim likes this.
  6. Doghouse Riley

Doghouse Riley Forum Resident

I've still the demagnetiser, (somewhere) and a couple of Alexander tape head cleaners with the spare felts and the cleaning fluid.

gitters likes this.
  7. andy obrien

andy obrien Forum Resident

Back in the early 80s tapes were a great way for youngsters like myself - 11 in 1980 - to get hold of music. The family turntable was a knackered old beast and one of the speakers was bust - but the portable cassette deck in my bedroom was the bees knees, indestructible and with a graphic equalizer and - most important, this - a SLOW EJECT. It could travel with me into the garden or round to a mates house, it had a headphone socket, and it was LOUD.

8. MarcS

MarcS Forum Resident

They were fine in their time and I had tons for years, but what I don't miss:
    -prerecorded cassettes were cheaply made, broke easily and often were very hissy
    -the multi generational tape dubbing led to some very bad dubs with varying tape speeds and even more hiss
    -dubbing was in real time
    -using them on more than one deck eg home and the car made them way more prone to breaking

9. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

Also, adverts. :realmad:

Vincent3, andrewskyDE and carlwm like this.
  10. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

I was riding public transit, fam

11. andy obrien

andy obrien Forum Resident

The two most formative musical experiences of my early teenage years - which have informed my listening taste ever since - were both delivered to me on cassette.
    The first was a soggy shoebox full of discarded tapes left next to a skip at the local dump (now referred to as recycling centre) which i took home. It contained Who's Next, Quadrophenia, Parallel Lines, Billion Dollar Babies and - most crucially for my future musical development - Relics. I distinctly remember listening to the latter for the first time aged 13 or so. 'Bike' came on. Mind subsequently blown.
    The second was a mixtape made for me by my art teacher, which had Cocteau Twins, Joy Division, solo Eno, Cluster, Eno & Fripp, solo Sylvian and lots of other amazing stuff. All of which Ive subsequently collected and play to this day. Neither of these experiences could have happened with vinyl, and being sent a playlist isnt the same as receiving a lovingly recorded tape from someone as a gift.

12. violarules

violarules Senior Member

I don't think there is any technological nor financial incentive to make open reel tape "more high fidelity". Seeing as how 1/2", 2-track and 3-track tape from the 1950's often sound awesome in their own right, I'm not sure what "improvements" you would have in mind...

Mark L. and JosepZ like this.
  13. Doghouse Riley

Doghouse Riley Forum Resident

Tell me about it.
    It's the same with 45s.
    On a whim, I just wanted a run of the mill 45 from 1979. Independent Woman, by Jan Jones.
    Discogs offered me one for £145.

I wouldn't pay more than a fiver for any 45.

As adverts have been mentioned, you completly avoid adverts on YouTube if you use Firefox with adblock plus, It's free.

carlwm likes this.
  14. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

Indeed. :)

15. JosepZ

JosepZ Digital knight of the analog masters

Easily avoided if you install an adblocking extension to your browser. If you are an Android user on your phone/tablet, you can get a wonderful free and open source app called NewPipe. Of course it's not on the Play Store but you can get it on its website.

Man at C&A and aphexj like this.
  16. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

I cassetted my brains out back in the day, making mix-tapes from my LPs, copying LPs from record libraries, from friends records,... fun times.
    The format was a pain trying to find where a certain track began. Tape chewing was a pain, as was pencil winding. I would transfer the tapes into another cassette if one got damaged or rusty inside. Glad to see the back of them. CDs/CDRs are great.

Man at C&A and carlwm like this.
  17. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

Crazy prices. I'm astonished that people seem to pay them!

Doghouse Riley likes this.
  18. JosepZ

Good point. I was just thinking that if they could improve a weak format that much, maybe some of that could be backported to other formats.

19. Mr-Beagle

Mr-Beagle Ah, but the song carries on, so holy

The first cassette of Pet Sounds that I bought in 1990 sounded unbelievably bad. I took it back to the shop and insisted on exchanging it for the LP.

20. JosepZ

This particular album never sounded that great anyway, but yes, LP and CD improved things quite a lot. The 90s stereo mix sounds really good though.

21. MaybeI'mMrsVandebilt

MaybeI'mMrsVandebilt Just spinning on my axis

I'm surprised no one has brought up having to wind the tape back into the cassette using a pencil. Or was it a biro? That used to happen a fair bit. And I had one or two tapes ruined that way. Or when someone would tape over your carefully curated compilation with something else. lol

Jamsterdammer likes this.
  22. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

Almost no purpose. But my Technics deck has a dbx button so I can decode those records.

Two antiquated components in one!

Man at C&A and PacificOceanBlue like this.
  23. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

They certainly are, though my main CD player is very temperamental with them at the moment. It plays the vast majority perfectly but won't read others at all. It's a very old late 80s Technics CD player so that's better than it should be. I still use CD-R's a lot.

Shaker Steve and Purple Jim like this.
  24. Jamsterdammer

Jamsterdammer The Great CD in the Sky

Back in the 70s and 80s I had most of my music on cassette. I would borrow albums from a library and tape them. Even in the early 90s I would still make mix tapes. But to say that one of the advantages was their portability on the bus, etc., that was only valid after the introduction of the Walkman in the 1980s. Later, when CDs became ubiquitous and I could afford them, I bought a Discman as well, but these were never as portable and convenient as the Walkman. We had to wait until the release of the iPod in late 2001 before anything that compact and portable came along. So yeah, happy cassette and Walkman memories. But I definitely don't miss them. Dumped all my cassettes a few years ago as they had been sitting in a box in the attic for many years. I now use a DAP that can hold many thousands of FLAC files for my mobile needs.

JosepZ and MaybeI'mMrsVandebilt like this.
  25. JosepZ

It has been mentioned already. As the pain it was.
    My dad's Marantz CD player from the early 2000s didn't play CD-Rs at all. And that was by design for sure, as our older players, all from before the CD-R era, played them flawlessly.

Shaker Steve and Man at C&A like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.