When you were a kid and listened to a song, what did you get totally wrong about it?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Dec 31, 2013.

1. Natvecal.

Natvecal. JUST A LOW- FI GUY WHO LOVES A GREAT MASTERING

Ringo Starr-Photograph

The line- "....All I've got is a photograph
    And I realize you're not coming back anymore."
    was heard as -"...All I got is a bowl of crap..."
    :laugh:

vinnie, kaszpar, eschorama and 2 others like this.
  2. Yes ! When I first bought the white Fleetwood Mac album with Rhiannon on it, I assumed Lindsey was the female vocalist and Stevie the male guitar player.
    For some reason I first thought it was Ringo singing Lady Madonna....

3. JFS3

JFS3 Senior Member

I never paid that much attention to that song (didn't care for Ian Lloyd's voice), but yeah you're right, the narrative just come to a dead stop. I looked up the lyrics to the Hot Chocolate original, and despite some (necessary) changes to the protagonists, it ends the same (so I guess you can't blame the Stories for that one).

4. Sgt. Abbey Road

Sgt. Abbey Road Forum Resident

When I was young I couldn’t distinguish the voices of John Lennon and George Harrison:D

soarer29 and carrick doone like this.
  5. Moshe

Moshe "Silent in four languages."

Up until very recently, I'm afraid.
    Cherry Cherry by Neil Diamond, I thought they were singing "She got the weight to move me"

I just learned that it's "She's got the way to move me"

getitgoin likes this.
  6. Until my mid-teens, I thought almost all records were made in one take, with all of the vocalists and band live in the studio. And that "stereo" simply meant that an extra mike was added, to produce a binaural effect. The only time I was aware of anything added after the fact was if there were serious sound effects, panning, phasing, etc. "Pictures Of Matchstick Men." "Crosstown Traffic."

In my defense, at that time, I was doing almost all of my listening in mono on a radio. A very sweet sounding tube table radio in my nightstand, much of the time. On AM, mono. It sounded to me like there was a miniature band in there, on a miniature bandstand. Especially on the Motown songs. The music just stomped out of that radio speaker, in a unified field.

I think the first time I was made aware of multi-tracking was at age 14 or 15, reading a news article that discussed the recording of Sgt. Pepper.

When I found out, I thought that was cheating.

7. this is pretty funny. I would probably have concluded the same thing, if I had bothered to think about it.

8. Dr. Nick

Dr. Nick Tufnel Is God

I was looking for a mind blown emoji to reply to this .

9. I had the same reaction as ponkine- I thought "I'm You Venus" was sung by a guy, too- or maybe I thought it could be either a guy or a girl singing, and didn't care. The singer could almost be Marc Bolan. The phrasing is more martial than sensuous. And the verse and part of the chorus is done in the third person, so it sounds more like a hymn of praise to the "Godness" [sic] than the persona of Venus herself. "I'm your Venus/I'm Your fire?I'm your desire" sounds to me like the singer is reciting a recollection of someone else's come-on line.

Some real entertaining details about the lyrics of the song and the origin of the melody are here
    I'm Your Venus: Lyrics And Meaning Of The Shocking Blue/Bananarama #1

I especially like this part:

"Got what no-one else had

Wow!"

Last edited: Mar 6, 2021
    Natural E likes this.
  10. Frip

Frip Forum Resident

I thought Voodoo Chile must be a song about some sort of spicy black magic main course.️

11. Moshe

Moshe "Silent in four languages."

To clarify.
    I didn't think of it as a fat joke at all.
    I assumed it was a metaphor for strength. A strong woman.

12. speedracer

speedracer Forum Resident

[​IMG]

13. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

I thought the time on records wasn't the length of a song but rather the time when it was recorded. :laugh:

14. Ostinato

Ostinato Old and wise

I thought Hey Jude was an antisemitic song. Jude is the German word for Jew.

15. KevinP

KevinP Forum introvert

You could start a conspiracy theory with that and 'Nothing: Israel'.

16. thnkgreen

thnkgreen Sprezzatura!

I thought the Beatles invented everything. Wrong! The lads were talented but had many, many influences.

SomeCallMeTim likes this.
  17. Hightops

Hightops Forum Resident

Light My Fire was something about striking matches. Obviously.

18. wwaldmanfan

wwaldmanfan Born In The 50's

I just realized this today!
    I've owned this album since it came out, and played it a hundred times. Somehow I mis-heard the lyric, written and sung by Mick Abrahams, and misconstrued the title as, "Move On Along".
    It's "Move On Alone", duh.

[​IMG]

19. Cookie!

Cookie! Forum Resident

John Lennon - “Mind Games”:

“Love is the answer... and you know that, the show!”

20. Deja Doh

Deja Doh QUARANTINED

I was familiar with Edgar Allan Poe's The Murders in the Rue Morgue. So when I heard Dylan's Just Like Tom Thumb's Blues I always assumed he was singing "Don't put on any heirs when you're down on Rue Morgue Avenue", as in naming people in a will, instead of acting better than people.

21. GeorgeBaby

GeorgeBaby Forum Resident

I thought Galveston was the really trippy name of a cute girl.

ARK, Suncola and deredordica like this.
  22. Manalishi

Manalishi With the 2-pronged crown

Count me as another listener who misinterpreted the Eagles - Life in the Fast Lane, the verse "Call the doctor, I think I'm gonna crash."

I thought the "doctor" was a board certified physician who was called to the scene of a car crash to help a couple of his patients who might have been injured. I thought it was odd he only took cash but perhaps they had bounced a check in the past while paying for a routine physical. Hey, I was only 11 and hadn't caught up to the latest 70s drug culture slang.

23. deredordica

deredordica Music Freak

Imagined "The Logical Song" was sung by a beautiful woman. When I was an adult, I said to a friend, "I have always loved her voice," to which he replied, "Roger Hodgson?" So I googled it...

SomeCallMeTim likes this.
  24. Taxee

Taxee Forum Resident

Listening to the MOR singers my parents played on the radio I just assumed songs such as "Something" by Shirley Bassey, "Reflections" by The Lettermen, or "Never My Love" by Andy Williams were the originals.

So imagine the first time I heard this song by the original artists when up until then I thought it was this guy.

HaileyMcComet likes this.
  25. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I have a friend who's 66 and has been a Beatles fan since "Ed Sullivan" and she still struggles to differentiate any of their voices! :help:

Suncola and Sgt. Abbey Road like this.