Lynyrd Skynyrd-An Open Discussion

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Michael, Feb 27, 2021.

1. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O! Thread Starter

: )

2. Mullin

Mullin Forum Resident

Listen to Steve here at 4:13... such a talent

3. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O! Thread Starter

great stuff! thanks...

Plexiclone likes this.
  4. adam_777

adam_777 Forum Resident

"God damn that boys funky"

5. Mullin

Mullin Forum Resident

Another version where Steve rips it up... I can only imagine what they would have done...

6. adam_777

adam_777 Forum Resident

Steve Gaines is perhaps my biggest what if in music because while plenty of stars died young many had a period, albeit brief of really getting to shine and we can latch onto the few albums they released and be grateful for what we do have.

Steve we just got such a brief glimpse of. He came mostly out of nowhere so there isnt tons of material before he stepped into the spotlight. And then once there he had just over a year. But to start off he is trying to integrate into a band and learn other material that already had a fanbase so he had to stay somewhat faithful to that and just as he begins to influence Skynyrd with his own style on record, three days later he is dead. So by the time most people even realize who this guy even was and what he might be capable of, his life was basically over. I can imagine people grabbing Street Survivors and being so impressed and excited about this new phase of the band and where it might go only to have it changed irreplacibly forever before they even had a chance to learn the lyrics to their new favourite songs. If that isnt the definition of tragedy I dont know what is.

7. Mullin

Mullin Forum Resident

If you hadn't figured it out yet, I really liked what Steve brought to the table and his playing... well said paragraph on your part

adam_777 and marklamb like this.
  8. Steve Gaines was the real deal. Out of the gate you'd hear that he was at least the equal to Duane Allman. I mean that. It might sound like heresy and that it's a slight to Duane, but no, I mean that as the highest compliment to both of them.

Yeah, it's a trip, because we could of had years of Gaines, but we didn't...and so it is.

9. keith1959

keith1959 Forum Resident

Tom Dowd was interviewed shortly before he died and he had this to say about Steve:

"Steve Gaines was approaching that class of Eric and Duane. He was that loose of mind and he had that much facility. He just needed more playing experience because he was capable. He was that capable of being in that category whereas opposed to Gary and Allen not being as loose. They were more rigid. They were more historical?* guitar players and less blues, more rock where Steve had more blues in him and could go and bridge the gap. And he could have gone more toward Gary and Allen or he could have gone more towards Eric and Duane and he had that facility and that mentality and that spirit in him. He had it. He could do it. Yep!"

*On playing back the tape, the interviewer couldn't distinguish the exact word Tom Dowd said and couldn't from memory be certain, it sounded like 'historical'.

I'm not sure the interview was published in Gritz/Swampland, or at least that specific part of it, so there isn't a direct link, - it comes from a private Lynyrd Skynyrd forum.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2021
    Pouchkine, EVOLVIST, Mullin and 2 others like this.
  10. Cool hand luke

Cool hand luke There you go man, keep as cool as you can

Steve could sing his ass off too.

11. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Love his voice, especially cool when coupled with Ronnie (You Got That Right).

12. Cool hand luke

Anyone's thoughts on Artimus vs. Bob's drumming? Artimus was more of a powerhouse for sure, but sometimes I think I prefer Bob's playing. (Not trying to take anything away from Artie)

13. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

I just realized I misspoke earlier in the thread.

I DID buy Street Survivors b4 they changed the cover -but not on LP, on cassette, which I still have.

[​IMG]

Then later when I bought it on LP I did so through an import place I used to get UK albums from so I could get the original cover, and I got it as a UK pressing.

Tim 2, clhboa, Timothy Fiacco and 2 others like this.
  14. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

It was a really cool vocal blend

slipkid likes this.
  15. Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station Master Guns

Yeah, look at the similarities of the "P" in Pyle and Powell, and that's also similar to the "R" in Ronnie and Rossington.

16. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Just discovered a bunch of stuff I have on an image hosting site that I must have posted on this forum long ago in another thread...

I'll post more when I get time (programs, newspaper articles etc) but first....anyone else out there get this when it came out, b4 it got recalled/canceled??

[​IMG]

I think I bought it at a record convention, sold as a promo/pre-release (hence the punchout in the barcode on the back cover).

And I do not know the story behind it but it never did come out, or at least was pulled from the shelves pretty quick. Am not sure/don't remember why it was pulled other than perhaps the obvious spelling mistake (?).

Eventually, about 15 years later it did get released as an "authorized bootleg" in a plain light brownish mini-LP sleeve (which I also bought), but that version is missing three songs (why?). Also the showdate on the recalled KBFH CD above is listed as Nov 6, 1975 but the authorized bootleg one is listed as Nov 4, 1975. I don't remember which date is correct and too tired/busy to look it up now (am assuming there was only one show).

Also I've never sat down and A/Bed these two versions to see if one is better overall sound, or different mix, or edit, or whatever, but am curious if anyone has done that.

17. pool_of_tears

I found that back in the 1990’s, before I even read it was coming out. I never saw it again. A few early copies leaked but that’s it. Then it ended up being booted. The are a few differences between this one and the authorized boot. The authorized boot uses a vintage mix, which was used for the radio broadcasts, which matches my blue faced King Biscuit radio transcription disc. And it’s not the full show. Three songs are missing.

The release, as pictured, was remixed in the 1990’s and contains the complete show.

clhboa and slipkid like this.
  18. pool_of_tears

Bob was much more in the pocket, whereas Artimus would swing a bit more. Both were/are great players and served the music, perfectly.

Pouchkine, Cool hand luke and slipkid like this.
  19. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

A couple newspaper articles from back in the day...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Tim 2, Mullin, Timothy Fiacco and 2 others like this.
  20. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Such a friggin' bummer. So shocking & sad at the time. Now just sad...

Cool hand luke likes this.
  21. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Sorry for the repeat posts above, something is wrong with the forum and not responding when I click reply so I clicked again...will try to delete the multis...

pool_of_tears likes this.
  22. I saw If I Leave Here Tomorrow on Friday night.

The thing I liked the most was all of those unreleased/rare photos and home movies that really helped stitch the narrative together. Honestly, the film could have been an hour or so longer, not only because I was so captivated, but because they could easily slid in more complete live performances and interviews.

I could be wrong, and it doesn't matter either way, but it seems to me that the filmmakers went out of their way to expell any racial undertones that the band might or might not have had, specifically the use of the Confederate flag. I felt that these bits gave the band an unnecessary facelift to make sure that viewers know the band wasn't a pack of racists just because they were white dudes from the deep south. In other words, it felt shoehored in from a more recent PC angle. I mean, I understand the need to clear the air, but by and large the members of Skynyrd came of age with the rest of the counterculture of their day. Those guys in the band embraced their Southern heritage, at the same time embracing the late '60s movement among kids their age that all people were welcome regardless of color. Therefore, another reason the film could have been longer was to give more insight into their formative years as people and musicians. Their upbringings would have expelled the racist notion on its own. An old Ronnie interview touched on the use of the Confederate flag. But anyway, none of this bothered me. It just became too on the nose when trying to give the film a more modern polish.

Anyhow, it was a great documentary. No real complaints, just that I wanted more! :)

Crungy, slipkid, Pouchkine and 4 others like this.
  23. adam_777

adam_777 Forum Resident

I think in this day and age they get very sensitive about certain things in the Skynyrd story the flag being one but I'm surprised people havent latched on to some of the more womanizing lyrics because people just cant accept the world in shades of grey anymore it seems, I suppose they all assume Stephen King is a maniacal murderer too because apparently you cant write from a perspective other than your own. Anyways because of this climate I think any documentary put out is going to tiptoe around things that might be construed as being touchy because they are trying to promote the band and not get into a whole firestorm of controversy over one small aspect of it.

I'd recommend checking out the Gone with The Wind documentary as well. Its three hours long so it gets a bit more in depth and because it relies heavily on interviews from Bob Burns, Ed King and Artimus Pyle all pariahs from the current band, it gives very much a different perspective. It focuses pretty heavily on the early years and the Steve Gaines era is fairly briefly covered, but its definitely worth a watch if you wanted more.

I've always thought the Skynyrd story was something that would make a great docu series. It is a pretty interesting story with huge success and devestating tragedy and some seriously interesting characters. I dont think it could be done properly while any of the members are still here unfortunately because there is just too many vested interests trying to shape the story to fit their narrative, but i think somebody impartial with a decent budget could really make a compelling story without the need for embellishment. I always loved that line by the Drive By Truckers on Southern Rock Opera "Let me tell y'all a story, more or less is the truth. From the swamps of Northern Florida, to the swamps just North of Baton Rouge" I've always wanted to see that story told definitively because it really is an incredible tale.

slipkid, EVOLVIST, Pouchkine and 2 others like this.
  24. Cool hand luke

I was debating on checking out Gone With the Wind, I think I definitely will now. There seems to be a few of them out there. (I really enjoyed Leave Here Tomorrow, finally saw it just recently.)
    Any feedback on the Street Survivors biopic? Have you seen it? The trailer turned me off.

adam_777 likes this.
  25. Folknik

Folknik Forum Resident

A tight band of really good musicians and that high energy 3 lead guitar attack. I never cared much for their vocals. I really like "That Smell" , "Saturday Night Special", their rollicking cover of J.J. Cale's "Call Me the Breeze", and others. Overplayed as it is, I even like "Free Bird" but I only like it by Skynyrd, not by any local bar band. I liked "Sweet Home Alabama" the first few times, but it's been overplayed so much that if I never hear it again, it will be too soon.