Lynyrd Skynyrd-An Open Discussion

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Michael, Feb 27, 2021.

1. adam_777

adam_777 Forum Resident

Yeah Gone with The Wind is pretty solid it features lots of interviews with Al Kooper and Alan Walden too so definitely some good input from people who were there and they use many live performance clips throughout so its not like one of those docs with no budget using strictly stock footage and talking to some random writer born thirty years after the band started or whatever. Its not perfect by any means but I liked that it gave a voice to people who are integral to the story but their version of events are seldom told. It focuses about 95% on the precrash band and I was surpised it even brings up the controversy many feel about the current band. But like I said it focuses fairly lightly on the post Gimme Back My Bullets era most likely because of their key interviews only Artimus was still there for that.

I havent seen the biopic, it seems like it would be cheesy as hell. I'll probably give it a chance at some point as I've always felt the story would be worth telling but the scope of a movie is too narrow for the whole story and so it mostly focuses on the plane crash I understand which is just a part of the story and being done with a low budget I dont have high expectations, but I should get around to watching it

2. Mullin

Mullin Forum Resident

The studio version of Sweet Home is overplayed... thoroughly enjoy the live versions especially the ones where Gaines played on them

slipkid, Pouchkine and adam_777 like this.
  3. Cool hand luke

Cool hand luke There you go man, keep as cool as you can

:tiphat:

4. geodos

geodos Forum Resident

I was just browsing the CDs for sale section of this site. I often do and have had many pleasurable transactions with some fine members here. I was too late to buy it, but one member who is selling some Skynyrd stuff listed a solo album by Steve Gains that I did not know existed. I just bought it on line after reading some Amazon reviews. Check it out!

5. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

Gone With The Wind is a good documentary

6. Mullin

Mullin Forum Resident

One In The Sun is a great album... Steve was a great singer as well as a phenomenal guitarist

7. It's funny that you mention that, because last night, the night after I watched the Skynyrd documentary, I watched the 2019 documentary, Billie, about Billie Holiday. Talk about zero tip-toeing around controversial topics.

I don't want to digress too much, but the filmmakers of the Holiday documentary did not give a ʞɔnf about today's sensitive topics. But that was beautiful! That's how I want my history. Unvarnished and straight from the spigot.

It's not that the Lynyrd Skynyrd story is overtly checkered nor controversial; it's only that I could easily detect the small sleight of hand in the Skynyrd doc, while the Holiday doc (heh, Doc Holiday) was brutal in all the best ways.

Which is where, yeah, I get your point, because in many ways its unbecoming to spill all of the dirt while members are still living. It's kind of rude to betray trust. It was like watching the recent ZZ Top documentary (which was very entertaining, by the way), and you don't come out say that Billy Gibbons is a bullʇᴉɥs artist when he's sitting right there. :)

Last edited: Mar 7, 2021
    Pete Puma, Pouchkine and adam_777 like this.
  8. adam_777

adam_777 Forum Resident

Thats refreshing to hear that about Billie. Glad to know it isnt just an industry wide standard! I think one of the problems faced is most of these docs are being produced with the artists involvement or directly by the artists thrmselves and meant to promote them and help generate new fans and interest. So you run into these awkward situations where its difficult to judge between selling an artist or honestly appraising them and so few opt for the latter unfortunately.

Pouchkine likes this.
  9. Dovetail7

Dovetail7 Pragmatic Purist

Kooper and the band were rushed to complete prior to a tour.

10. Peter_R

Peter_R Maple Syrple Gort Staff

Just a friendly reminder about the "no politics" rule.
    If it re-appears, there will be thread bans.

Please and thank you.

Tim 2 and 4-2-7 like this.
  11. adam_777

adam_777 Forum Resident

Curious what peoples favourite live performances of the band are? I suspect for many it will be the Fox but there are a number of really great perofrmances throughout their brief career and would love to hear peoples thoughts

12. jlocke08

jlocke08 Forum Resident

loved Fox for years but as presented on the Freebird soundtrack, the Knebworth tracks are sublime. really looking forward to the new Knebworth set coming in April.

13. pool_of_tears

The 1976 Fox run has some stellar stuff, but a year later (the 1977 Asbury Park set(, Steve was fully engrained into the band. And it shows!

14. adam_777

adam_777 Forum Resident

Knebworth is definitely a band on fire, there is nothing to knock that show! I too am very excited for the upcoming release just hope they do it right that show deserves a definitive release!

I'm with you I love the 77 shows because of Steves full involvement and influence. Asbury Park has some great moments but the band seems maybe a little fatigued. Steve and Allen are great! I really like Fresno '77...sure wish the rest of Oakland '77 would turn up, from what we've seen the band looks and sounds amazing. If that ever turned up it'd be full on my favourite footage of the band

Last edited: Mar 9, 2021
  15. pool_of_tears

Speaking of Knebworth, I’ve held off on pulling the trigger. I can’t decide if I want vinyl/dvd or cd/dvd.

16. pool_of_tears

Aww to heck with it, going vinyl and dvd.

17. Cool hand luke

Cool hand luke There you go man, keep as cool as you can

I can't decide whether to go DVD or BluRay....this may be the release that I finally pull the trigger on a BluRay player. Then I get the bonus doc too. That sweetens it up for sure.

jlocke08 and longdist01 like this.
  18. pool_of_tears

It’s a good documentary

19. WHMusical

WHMusical Chameleon Comedian Corinthian & Caricature

I hear ¨The Four Walls of Railford¨ from disc 2 of the LS green box set for the first time in years today. Forgot what a great track that is. A Kick-Ass-Killer Skynyrd Song!

20. pool_of_tears

Is a great track

Glenn coates likes this.
  21. WHMusical

Indeed, and such a great box set.
    I don´t think I paid much more that this for it, when it came out.
    No vinyl version yet right?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Randomly found disc 2 in the stacks last night and spun it. Long time no hear; a great old and dear friend come to revisit...

22. Glenn coates

Glenn coates Forum Resident

That’s a great value........I got this from the old BMG CD CLUB......one of my best choices when they offered what was it 10 or fifteen free discs, funny thing I still remember the day when the mailman was approaching with my package.....great memory still love it.

23. pool_of_tears

I got mine, Christmas 1991. Mom got it for me as a present. I knew it was in stores, and was saving allowance money to get it. Talk about a n awesome surprise.

24. Spitfire

Spitfire Senior Member

Is that the High Voltage in Tacoma? Sure looks like the labels they use.

25. WHMusical

No Say. I snagged my pictures off the Interweb. Never been to High Voltage, but next time I´m buzzing thru SEA-TAC should I stop by, sounds like a good, local IRS?