Record stores in Hartford/Springfield area

Discussion in 'Music, Movie and Hardware Store Guide' started by Andrew, Oct 2, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Thesmellofvinyl

Thesmellofvinyl Senior Member

I used to go to a Record Breaker in Newington. Is that the one you mean when you say "Hartford"? Where was the one in East Hartford/Manchester?

2. Thesmellofvinyl

[/QUOTE]Andrew: The chair was outside, but the door was locked and a good deal of the shelves were empty.
    [/QUOTE]

Hmm. I'm glad I didn't get out for a closer look at that sad sight. Instead I went to Platterpuss and found nothing I couldn't live without.

3. MRT

MRT Forum Resident

nope. there was one on Pratt street in downtown Hartford. i bought a truckload of CD's there when my sister used to work there. i knew the people who ran it pretty well too. also had nice little vinyl section there with an eclectic mix.

4. Thesmellofvinyl

I went there last Sunday (February 11) and found it's moved to Hamden, CT.

The store in Greenfield, MA is called About Music.

5. HiFi Guy 008

HiFi Guy 008 Forum Resident

Is this the same Exile on Main Street that used to be in Mount Kisco, NY?:eek:

6. KBanya

KBanya Active Member

Good question. I don't know.

7. Jerry

Jerry Grateful Gort Staff

I know. Its not. I know the owner of one, and I'm a friend of a friend of the owner of the other. Two separate entities. There is also an Exile in Hamden, CT.

8. mike65!

mike65! Senior Member

Just an update of sorts, now that driving weather is here. I finally made it to Replay's new location. It's off of The Meritt Parkway, exit 61 onto Whitney Ave. in Hamden. Nice store, smaller footprint but organized nicely! Doug is still open every day but Wednesday, and it looks like he's kept the same store hours. IMPORTANT- plenty of parking in the back, with a back entrance for us lazy folks:D .

If anyone wants his phone # or hours, pm me. Because he downsized, some stock is still in storage, so if you're looking for something special, be nice to him and call ahead.

I love this store, and have been buying from him forever, so I want to make sure his new place succeeds. :agree:

9. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

Mike we should get together and go at some point down there.

10. nelamvr6

nelamvr6 Music Lover

Did he close the other location? His web site is still listing the York St. location.

It's a good thing I read this thread!

11. mike65!

mike65! Senior Member

I asked Doug about that - He can't reach the guy who put up the old web page to change the store location. The other problem is that the address is threecoolcats.com.

He wants to put up an entirely new site with a proper address that reflects the store name. That'll take some time, however, so for the time being, it is still best just to call him.

12. mike65!

mike65! Senior Member

Lets go! I'll bet we can talk Jerry into coming with us!!

13. Are you perhaps thinking of the Berkshire Record Outlet in Lee?

-s1m0n

14. Jerry

I'll bet you could!

I found out the hard way one day about he move. I've been going there forever, and have even gotten used to the cat. Great place for obscure blues and bluegrass at a reasonable price. Always nice chatting with the owner too.

ps Nice avatar Mike. I have that "Desert Jerry" t-shirt! The picture that its based on is from Eqypt '78, in case you didn't know. Garcia on a camel, not with a Camel.

15. mike65!

mike65! Senior Member

Okay guys, how does either this or next Saturday or Sunday sound?

Road Trip!!

16. ceddy10165

ceddy10165 My life was saved by rock n roll

Love this thread. To recap:

Music Outlet Enfield, CT.
    Newbury Comics Amherst, MA.
    Mystery Train Amherst, MA.
    Intergrity N Music Wethersfield, CT
    Replay Records Hamden, CT.
    Phoenix Records Waterbury, CT.
    Dynamite Records Northampton, MA.
    Turn It Up Northampton, MA.
    Cutler's New Haven, CT.
    Platterpus Records, Westfield, MA.
    Merles Record Rack Orange/West Haven, CT.
    Brass City Records Waterbury, CT.
    Exile on Main St. Records North Branford, CT.
    Exile on Main St. Records Hamden, CT.
    About Music Greenfield, MA.
    Berkshire Record Outlet Lee, MA.

17. Jerry

I heard today that Exile on Main St. Records Hamden, CT., has closed. :cry:

18. Jerry

This Saturday is out for me, sorry. And next Sunday is Father's Day. Unless my father wants to come along! At 76, he might be looking for some Perry Como or Mitch Miller vinyl.

19. Andrew

Andrew Chairman of the Bored Thread Starter

Visited there this weekend: no vinyl.

An addition: Tune Street in Great Barrington. Not only high-end stereo/video gear but a better than average CD selection. Worth a stop if you're vacationing in the Berkshires. There is also a place a few doors down, but the stock was in a mess and the skatedude on duty had no idea what the vinyl was priced at.

20. Another recommendation for Replay in Hamden!

21. spice9

spice9 Senior Member

I grew up in New Haven and I'm 52, so I remember Rhymes when it opened very well...
    They used to advertise to buy there instead of Cutler's to keep the prices down. It was a cool shop. My memories of Cutler's go back to when I was no more than 11 or 12. I used to hang out in the back where the 45s were sold, listening to whatever they played. I clearly recall buying the 45s for Cool Jerk & See You In September. I always felt a bit of a hostile vibe there for some reason. And the prices for new stuff were always sky-high. Used stuff was better, and they had a decent selection. I still go to Toad's every once in a great while, and check out Cutler's. It's totally depressing. They never had much high-rez stuff even when it was at its peak. I will say it was the first place I ever saw headphones where you could listen to stuff.

22. ARK

ARK Forum Miscreant

My brother-in-law was there this weekend and he left with some vinyl.

23. Andrew

Andrew Chairman of the Bored Thread Starter

News update:

Platterpus Records in Westfield has closed recently.

24. Batigol

Batigol Active Member

I didn't know replay moved to Hamden. I have probably driven past them a few dozen times and never noticed them. There new location is only about 15minutes from me. I am going to check out there new place this week. Now that replay is so much closer to me and in a neck of the woods i find myself in almost weekly i can see this becoming a problem.

:)

25. shinedaddy

shinedaddy Forum Resident

Looking for an update as I will there next weekend for 4 days...will be in Springfield MA but if there is a store close I can visit it. Not a lot of time though to myself. If I am looking exclusively for quality used vinyl what is my best bet?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.