Pink Floyd ‎– The Piper At The Gates Of Dawn - Stereo vs. Mono?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Skull, Feb 10, 2021.

1. EdogawaRampo

EdogawaRampo Senior Member

Depending on my mood I might like Let There Be More Light in mono because of the way the percussion sounds, but the rest I prefer in stereo.

kt66brooklyn and Trixmay 988 like this.
  2. Laservampire

Laservampire Down with this sort of thing

The mono Interstellar is two layers of the entire band playing.

They recorded a first performance and then overdubbed a second performance on top of it.

The stereo version is just the first performance, in stereo.

On the mono there's extra guitar, bass, organ & drums.
    Right when the main theme ends, you can hear Mason having a hard time staying in sync with his 2nd drum track.

3. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

Like basically any record made before 1969, mono.

4. Thievius

Thievius Blue Oyster Cult-ist

Stereo, always stereo. Especially in this case where the mix and in particular the crazy panning is part of the album's charm.

5. The Bishop

The Bishop Forum Resident

Yeah, this is what I grew up with from my older brothers collection: not really interested in the mono.

tedhead and kt66brooklyn like this.
  6. elaterium

elaterium Forum Resident

I prefer the stereo Pow R. Toc H which ends with Syd’s screaming guitar. It always sounds weird to hear it fade out and end with drums on the mono.

kt66brooklyn likes this.
  7. elaterium

elaterium Forum Resident

That’s not true at all. There are parts of the stereo where you can hear the overdubbed take.

zobalob and kt66brooklyn like this.
  8. elaterium

elaterium Forum Resident

How about the single version?

9. EdogawaRampo

EdogawaRampo Senior Member

I haven't heard it. Interested to read what people think, though...

kt66brooklyn likes this.
  10. Sax-son

Sax-son Forum Resident

Here is my contrarian opinion. I have both pressings and like both for different reasons but I don't prefer one over the other. I have to put myself back in time over 50 years ago when I first started to listen to this music and remembered that I was on Owsley acid at the time and that the panning almost sent me over the edge. However, I always felt that that was their intention so I look at that as an essential element of the sonics.

For context, most of us did not have sophisticated stereos at the time, so if you were lucky enough to have a stereo, you might get the pleasure of having that experience. Many of us then had to listen to stereo on a 4 track tape cartridge(remember those?) Muntz car stereos to really listen to music. Even back then none of us were in a position to really critique the sonic attributes of any records for that matter. It's more or less a 50 plus year plus version Monday morning quarterbacking if you like and in my opinion, it was a really awesome recording for those times.

Dodoz, sjaca, Jon H. and 2 others like this.
  11. Philip Gruber

Philip Gruber Forum Resident

Just listened to Interstellar Overdrive once again - in stereo - and there is no getting away from the fact that THAT moment of crazy panning on the final blast of the main riff is one of the most infamous stereo moments in rock history. The fact we all KNOW that moment well and we're still talking about it says it all. Norman Smith has received a fair amount of stick for his stereo mixing of this album but when all is said and done and for all it's eccentricities, it's a major part of the legend behind this album. I would have loved to have been a fly on the wall for that session with the band playing at full volume with Norman Smith and Peter Bown in the control room having to capture it and when one thinks of what else was being recorded in the UK, there simply was nothing else quite like the Floyd freaking out and doing such an unusual - and compelling - piece of music.

I think sometimes it's easy to overlook and forget just how downright weird and unique this music was compared to everything else. There is still nothing quite like it. It's partly why it's my number one album of all time - a priceless snapshot of a moment in time that was never destined to last or happen again. A truly original album in every sense of the word and one of the only albums where one does need both mono and stereo mixes.

12. tages

tages Senior Member

Perfectly said.

If there was ever an album made for adventurous stereo mixing, this is it.

Why would you want it to sound “normal”?

13. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

Because the panning sounds like someone's ten year old brother was playing with the board. :laugh:

14. StingRay5

StingRay5 Important Impresario

Yeah, I've never liked the panning at the end of "Interstellar Overdrive". It's more or less a mono mix of the band bouncing around. Not pleasant to listen to.

15. Trixmay 988

Trixmay 988 Demere's Dreams

I don't know why people dislike the crazy panning so much to be honest. It only lasts about 20 seconds, doesn't it?

Dodoz, tedhead, Platterpus and 4 others like this.
  16. johnwilliamhunte

johnwilliamhunte In the land of Gods and Monsters

This thread reminded me that I have mono and stereo CDs from the 3 CD set, but I hadn't really compared them, my LP is stereo so I'm used to that.

Now I've listened again, I would agree as far as mono/stereo mixes go these are like night and day, the mono is really good :).

kt66brooklyn likes this.
  17. dkmonroe

20 seconds of jarring, cheesy gimmickry. It's not enough to make me throw the stereo mix in the trash, but it's just a bad part of the mix, IMHO. I'm always surprised that people keep holding it up as an example of how great the stereo mix is.

18. The Bishop

One of the defining moments of psychedelia, is how I hear it. I still find that whole song thrilling to listen to.

Dodoz, Manalishi, sjaca and 5 others like this.
  19. dkmonroe

:laugh: Surely there's the teensiest bit of exaggeration there.

Billy Infinity and Pete Puma like this.
  20. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

For me its mono. The insanity needs to be closed in. And Im not saying insanity as a slight to Syd. Insanity in the best of ways.

Jon H., sathvyre and kt66brooklyn like this.
  21. elaterium

elaterium Forum Resident

It’s a lot shorter.

22. elaterium

elaterium Forum Resident

You must be from California?

23. 'Stereono' for me. As other have mentioned, some songs work better in stereo, some in mono.

advancecharmander likes this.
  24. Jon H.

Jon H. Forum Resident

For me, I must own both, without question. I grew up with the stereo, and was fascinated by its ethereal qualities, especially on Mathilda Mother and Interstellar Overdrive. The little touches - the reverb, the celeste, the cello, the silly "clip-clop" percussion on The Scarecrow, and the jarring ending of Bike are all headphone ear candy. And the panning on IO isn't subtle, ha!

When I want to be pummeled, I go to the mono version; it greatly benefits the drums and works as a more unified "band-sounding" experience as opposed to a studio creation with lots of overdubs. In my opinion Syd's guitar playing also shines more brightly in mono.

A friend once said about Sgt. Pepper - mono or stereo - "You've got to have both! Like with 2 fine wines. One night you're in the mood for a rich Cabernet, and another night a Pinot...they are different experiences, and wonderful flavors - to be savored!".

I concur. Both mixes of this landmark album have their merits - and this magical time with Syd was all too brief.

Dodoz, MonkeyLizard, sjaca and 5 others like this.
  25. The Bishop

Do you not get psychedelia?

RobNeil likes this.