NBC "Debris"

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Lonson, Feb 25, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

Well, these two main characters are a little dull...They make Moulder & Scully look like party animals!
    But, I'm not in the 'streaming world' so, I'll keep watching it.

bhazen likes this.
  2. RickH

RickH Connoisseur of deep album cuts

So I watched the debut episode and was actually surprised that it held my interest. Might be described as “X Files on steroids”. I’ll watch the next one and see if it continues to interest me or quickly goes off the rails.

3. leemelone

leemelone Forum Resident

I liked the first episode but I think it was better when it was called Fringe. ;)

4. rjp

rjp Senior Member

we liked episode one very much. we are probably on board for a while.

5. Tim Lookingbill

Tim Lookingbill Alfalfa Male

Caught the second episode at 9MP central Saturday night. This is better than I thought. Probably the most involved, original and sophisticated story telling of alien invasion I've ever come across. It got me to thinking more from a metaphysical and philosophical viewpoint behind the weird effects and what mechanisms are in place controlling gravity and human's emotions and memory.

This show seems to be more deeper and intricate than any Twilight Zone or X-Files episode.

Just wish I could see the pilot episode because NBC Peacock website isn't loading the video in Firefox 48. Just an empty white page. I guess I'll wait for a rerun on my Spectrum cable basic package.

6. sixtiesstereo

sixtiesstereo Senior Member

How did you see the second episode? It doesn't air until Monday night. Or are you able to
    stream it two days early? Just curious.

7. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

I was that it was on the schedule, but I thought it was just a re-airing of the first ep.

8. Tim Lookingbill

I'm having to assume it's the second episode. And this is another major beef I have with network tv that charges me $16 a month broadcast fee for Spectrum to carry their content and news broadcasts and that is the networks don't make it clear if it's streaming on both internet and cable TV. They never say "tune in to your local network station".

They advertise on cable tv that their "NEW" show is streaming starting such and such date and that's it. That's why I missed last Monday's "Debris" episode. And maybe what I saw last night was the pilot episode. Not sure.

But there's something funny about Spectrum's menu listing in that I swear I saw the word "Pilot" 2 hours before the Saturday 8PM broadcast was to air. When it finally aired at 8PM the menu synopsis dropped the word "Pilot". Confusing as hell.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2021
  9. sixtiesstereo

sixtiesstereo Senior Member

Well, there's only been one episode so far, so what you saw was the first (pilot) episode.
    A lot of people mentioned that the first episode that aired seemed to start in the middle of the
    crisis and it seemed that it should have been the second episode. A little confusing, but hopefully
    tomorrow's episode (the second episode) will clear up a few things...

jpelg and Tim Lookingbill like this.
  10. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member

All broadcast networks, ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX, PBS, CW, are free. They broadcast high definition signals wherever they are located, and if you're within a reasonable distance, your TV can receive them. All you need is an antenna.

For the cost of cable for a few months, you can have an antenna installed that will pick up all of these signals, and their sub channels for free.

We have a couple of streaming services, Amazon, Paramount+, that we pay for. All broadcast signals are free.

Shawn likes this.
  11. More like X-Files combined with <i>Defiance</i> (TV series)

RickH likes this.
  12. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

But unless you have a DVR hooked up, you get to suffer through all of those commercials. Free is really not free...

13. Tim Lookingbill

Thanks for confirming that about the pilot first episode seeming to start in the middle which I agree it did. So I did see the pilot which opened with a worded statement the viewer had to read about the alien craft busting up just a bit beyond our atmosphere where its debris was falling in different parts of the world.

Still a pretty good premise for a Sci-Fi series. I just hope it doesn't turn into something similar to "V" where the aliens are these lizard looking people hiding inside human looking shell. That was ridiculous. "Debris" right off the bat appears to be so much more smarter and adult similar to Ridley Scott's origin story in Prometheus.

14. Tim Lookingbill

I wish I could get an OTA antenna to get free network tv broadcast but in my area and living in an apartment make it impossible. I've tried it 3 times over several years with different brands of antenna. I get about 4 channels with only two that are network affiliates, Fox and CBS and they cut out sometimes due to poor reception. Nothing I can do about it and I live in town, not far out in remote rural areas.

15. Shoes1916

Shoes1916 Forum Resident

I couldn't get past the first 5 minutes, and those were torture...

Daryl M likes this.
  16. HGN2001

I have mixed feelings about that. I grew up in the age where commercials were just part of TV. They were always there and served as forced intermissions for taking care of business, refreshing a snack, etc., even conversing with the family about what we just saw. So I can live with commercials - sometimes.

Today's networks are shoving more and more commercial time at their audience, way more than what we grew up with. A half-hour sitcom is really 19 minutes. An hour show is less than 40 minutes. Most of the network stuff we watch is on CBS, and being a Trekkie, I had to have CBS All Access when it came out to get STAR TREK: DISCOVERY. With the subscription choices of $6 with commercials or $10 without, I opted for the $10 - without commercials. And I've found it rewarding that all of the other CBS shows are also available without commercials, and at a time of our choosing.

Anything else we watch, usually a few shows on FOX, we've adapted to their commercial schedule.

It's a shame that some folks who WANT to use an antenna can't, and those that don't know about free-over-the-air TV don't. Just spreading the word here.

Back on-topic:
    I only saw about one minute of DEBRIS and decided not to bother. It's on at 10 PM - too late for me. Getting it on an NBC app is wonky at best for us. So, given that a sci-fi NBC show on Mondays at 10 has a near-zero chance of survival, I'll just forget about this one.

17. audiomixer

But if you had DVR...

18. audiomixer

19. HGN2001

Criticizing anothers tastes in entertainment?

Was that really necessary?

I was about to answer your DVR question, but now I think not.

Tim Lookingbill likes this.
  20. audiomixer

I think I'll survive. :D

21. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

I thought the first episode was entertaining enough. I could see this easily and quickly going off the rails, if it becomes more of a soap opera than a show focused on the evil aliens/evil humans. We'll see.

I watched it on the free Peacock app. There are some commercials, but not an onerous number.

22. jpelg

jpelg Forum Resident

Inevitably, most of these shows begin to supplant the cool sci-fi aspect with more conspiracy theory storylines where the "big-bad" are just human bad actors. That's when it starts to drag.

Tim Lookingbill and rockclassics like this.
  23. bhazen

bhazen ANNOYING BEATLES FAN

The guy playing the lead government agent is very interesting, with his constantly alarmed/adrenalinized look. I just hope we can get to the point of kind of knowing what's going on, before it gets canceled ... :(

I still miss seeing the denouement of Person Of Interest, and I'd love to have seen the whole arc of Wayward Pines ...

24. Tim Lookingbill

I noticed that too about the lead government agent where after saying something affirmative keeps averting his eye contact looking off to the side as if he's trying to lie or hide something so big no one will believe or survive.

bhazen likes this.
  25. bhazen

bhazen ANNOYING BEATLES FAN

Alternate explanation: drugs.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.