Rubber Soul CD - Canadian Pressing Featuring Original UK Mixes?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by button, Apr 9, 2006.

1. Scotophor

Scotophor Member

I understand that the digital version of the '65 master originated at EMI, but it was apparently Capitol U.S.A. (not EMI UK) who sent their copy of that master to Capitol Canada.

2. Vinyl Fan 1973

Vinyl Fan 1973 "They're like soup, they're like....nothing bad"

Had this for years before I even knew about the 65 mixes, but I do also own the mono CD box.

[​IMG]

Keith V likes this.
  3. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Other than the fact that it had to have originated at EMI, we really had no idea exactly how things happened until the information above came along.

Saint Johnny likes this.
  4. Scotophor

Scotophor Member

Check the fine print at the bottom of the U-matic tape label, and the left edge of the track sheet. The '65 mix, digital master copy was sent to Capitol Canada from Capitol U.S.A. (Capitol Studios, 1750 North Vine Street, Hollywood, Calif., 90028).

I'd have to speculate that the source file of this tape was Mike Jarrett's new digital master of the 1965 LP master, as reviewed by George Martin in 1986, copied and sent to Capitol U.S. for CD mastering. Then G.M. decided to remix, and Capitol U.S. got the word in time to not use that tape for mastering their CD production. Three or four years later in April of 1990, this incident was forgotten, and since the '65 tape (by then in Capitol U.S.A.'s vault) wasn't destroyed, nor presumably marked as "rejected", it was selected by mistake, copied again and the new copy sent to Canada.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2020
  5. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Yes, we know. What about it?

Saint Johnny likes this.
  6. Scotophor

Scotophor Member

In your post #1075, in replying to my post you said that the error originated at EMI. It seems clear now that it happened at Capitol U.S.A.

7. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

I was saying the digital master originated at EMI, which was never really in question.

My post of the U-Matic tape specifically indicates it was Capitol (Hollywood) that made the copy for Capitol Canada, so I'm not sure what you're trying to argue.

That's exactly what I stated:

Saint Johnny likes this.
  8. Scotophor

Scotophor Member

OK no argument. I just found that info interesting, and was surprised that no one else had commented on it. Then you seemed to deny it... I posted about the origin of the error (sending the wrong tape), and you replied about the origin of the tape, which was confusing.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2020
  9. Mark H

Mark H Senior Member

Too bad the rest of North America didn't get the wrong tape.

905 and Billy Budapest like this.
  10. Grateful Ed

Grateful Ed Forum Resident

Is the absence of any “restoration work” why you find them superior? Because I think the EQ (or lack thereof) on those DA discs is pretty unpleasant at times - especially Rubber Soul - thin/pinched and lacking bass.

11. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

The lack of restoration work, but also sometimes the EQ.

Saint Johnny and ted209 like this.
  12. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Comparing the Canadian Rubber Soul to the 2009 again, it seems like they were trying to tame the harshness/thinness in 2009, but I generally don't care for how they did so. In some cases there's not much difference, but when there is a more noticeable difference, the 2009 seems unpleasantly rolled off to me*.

Also: they removed all of the lip smacks in you Won't See Me! I see they did that on the mono mix too.

*And actually, I feel the same way about the mono compared to the version on Soul Sessions.

13. Grateful Ed

I compared them again yesterday as well. The Canadian Help! Disc sounds very good and probably better than the 2009. The stereo image seems a bit more centered at least on some tracks, and it’s a bit more open sounding. Still would like it a touch warmer / a bit more bass. The Rubber Soul Canadian disc is definitely brighter / thinner than I’d prefer, but I agree that the 2009 misses the mark and sometimes overcompensates. Neither are perfect, unfortunately.

EDIT: I used to think the 2009 stereos were an overall improvement over the 1987s, but the more I listen to them (particularly the later albums from Revolver onward) there’s something that just doesn’t sound right. They all sound sort of stuffy / congested for lack of a better word. No idea if that’s just EQ or if there are other factors. I believe Steve has suggested that high frequency limiting was used?

14. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

I had the Canadian '87 CDs, and no way did they sound better than the '09's.
    I stand by that! :magoo:

15. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

If you're talking about the original mixes of Help! and Rubber Soul, they weren't issued until 1990.

As far as everything else goes...it depends.

Saint Johnny and Bingo Bongo like this.
  16. badfingerjoe

badfingerjoe Senior Member

I always found it interesting how they used the Capitol LP artwork when they issued the UK configurations on CD. At least the front cover!

17. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

The artwork differed per territory. European CDs had the UK art.

There were differences with some of the other albums as well.

Saint Johnny likes this.
  18. badfingerjoe

Confuse our American buyers with the Capitol artwork and the UK tracks. What? Where is "I've Just Seen A Face" ?

19. They were put through a digital limiter, that’s for sure. I’m not sure what you mean by high frequency limiting, though.

20. Lownote30

Lownote30 Bass Clef Addict

I think he means a multiband compressor rather than a limiter.

21. Grateful Ed

22. Lownote30

Lownote30 Bass Clef Addict

23. badfingerjoe

I recently picked up a Disque Americ Revolver. It has the longer fades and the full intro of the guitar on "I Want To Tell You" I got lucky and did some searching. It had a Apple logo on the back insert but not on the back cover of the booklet.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2021
    ted209 and Duophonic like this.
  24. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

There no tape hiss between tracks, but there is noise from the tape machine and the mastering chain. It's very low in level, lower than tape hiss, but it's present.

SinnerSaint and Adam9 like this.
  25. badfingerjoe

You are so right Luke, I had to go back and give it a closer listen. The tape fades but not to total silence. I turned the volume up and noticed it.

ted209 and lukpac like this.