Listenin' to Classical Music and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bluemooze, Feb 22, 2017.

1. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

:edthumbs:

Jamsterdammer likes this.
  2. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

This wonderful set arrived today--took almost 3 months from Germany! Anyway, the LPs look as if they've never been played. The playing and sound are superb.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 8, 2021
  3. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

[​IMG]

Loaded this up from my computer this afternoon and hit shuffle. Trouble is the playlist has a maximum of 500 tracks.:D

4. sherrill50

sherrill50 Well-adapted Melomaniac

Scott Ross recorded the Scarlatti sonatas in something of a hurry; by that time, of course, he knew the Grim Reaper was looking over his shoulder. I do listen to other performances of Scarlatti besides Ross's, but when it comes right down to it, there's no one I'd rather hear playing Scarlatti than Scott.

5. Mirror Image

Mirror Image Forum Resident

I wouldn’t really know since downloading is my last option if I can’t find the physical media. All I know is my own experience with Presto wasn’t great. I knew the person who created that site from another forum and he was a nice enough bloke.

TonyACT likes this.
  6. Jamsterdammer

Jamsterdammer The Great CD in the Sky

Now playing: Christoph Willibald Gluck - Five Symphonies - L'Orfeo Barockorchester, Michi Gaigg - recorded 2007

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. john greenwood

I've been listening to Hantai as well recently. How do you feel about Scarlatti on piano? Guitar?

8. shanebrown

shanebrown Forum Resident

That makes it even weirder that didn't just reissue the old version! I was quite surprised that the first movt ran for as long 12 or 13 minutes when I saw the dead wax. It runs for close to fifteen minutes! You'd never guess that from looking at it. The second side of my copy has more dead wax than your first side(!), despite being eight minutes longer at about 22 minutes. The disc containing concertos 2 and 4 (one each side) are normal, but just checked the others and they all seem ultra-compressed, and all have at least one side with dead wax larger than the one you have uploaded. A very strange issue!

[​IMG]

bluemooze and Wes H like this.
  9. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

I don't understand why DG bothered to use a drawing for the cover.

IMHO, Martha looks a lot better in the original photo:

[​IMG][/QUOTE]
    She looks GREAT. Why couldn't I have been one of her husbands?

10. sherrill50

sherrill50 Well-adapted Melomaniac

Scarlatti is much like Bach in that his music can comfortably be rearranged/transposed for alternative instrumentation. I like Scarlatti on piano (Andras Schiff, less so Angela Hewitt) and guitar (Narcisco Yepes), and there's a fine set for Mandolin by the Artemandoline ensemble. On harpsichord, Trevor Pinnock runs a close second to Ross (imho), with one program for CRD (1981) and one for Archiv (1987). I wish Pinnock would record another set, after he finishes up with WTC Book II.

[Edit]: I even like Bob James 'The Scarlatti Dialogues', on synthesizer!

Last edited: Mar 8, 2021
    5-String and canzld like this.
  11. Mirror Image

NP: Boulanger Psalm 130, 'Du fond de l’abime’ (Stringer et. al.)

[​IMG]

12. john greenwood

That Yepes album is special. My newest favorite on piano is Pletnev. And I have a couple of recordings of Scarlatti on the harp.

sherrill50 likes this.
  13. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

Pierre Hantai is a fabulous harpsichordist and I have quite a few recordings by him. I have a number of Scarlatti keyboard works performed on piano by Horowitz, (Maria) Tipo, Pogorelich, etc.

TonyACT likes this.
  14. CMT

CMT Forum Resident

On the turntable: I've owned this for years and listened to it often. I now have two copies. This new one seems to be in especially good condition.

Bartók - The Juilliard String Quartet ‎– The Six String Quartets
    Columbia Masterworks ‎– D3S 717

[​IMG]

15. Jamsterdammer

Jamsterdammer The Great CD in the Sky

Now playing: Ernö Dohnányi - String Quartet No 3; Serenade For String Trio; Sextet For Piano, Clarinet, Horn & String Trio - The Nash Ensemble - rec. 2017

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

Other great guitar Scarlatti recordings include Roberto Aussel, Alberto Mesirca, Leo Brouwer, Stephan Schmidt, Fabio Zanon, Luigi Attademo, and Stephen Marchionda

Wugged, john greenwood and bluemooze like this.
  17. Mirror Image

NP: Boulez Pli selon pli (Christine Schäfer/Boulez)

[​IMG]

18. HiResGeek

HiResGeek Seer of visions

Debussy: Images; Printemps; Nocturnes
    L'Orchestre de la Suisse Romande & Ernest Ansermet
    Decca

[​IMG]

ToddBD, Ed Casey, ibanez_ax and 12 others like this.
  19. CMT

CMT Forum Resident

Spinning in the CD player:

Prokofiev - Lydia Mordkovitch, Gerhard Oppitz ‎– Sonatas For Violin And Piano
    Chandos ‎– CHAN 8398

[​IMG]

20. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Can't see many of the images you posted...

sambamaster likes this.
  21. CMT

CMT Forum Resident

I don't know why. But that's why I try to always put the basic information in text as well. The images show up on my computer. I did notice though that all of a sudden I've started having trouble getting the images to load into the message before I send it. Nothing's changed at this end. I have no idea why it would suddenly be different, but computers can be mysterious and I'm sick of fighting with them. Anyway, thanks for letting we know. I wonder if others are not seeing them?

22. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

[​IMG]
    Damaged jacket, but the record is OK. I believe these recordings were made for Amadeo in 1967 or 68. I have them in a Decca CD box set which also includes the Piano Concertos with Horst Stein conducting the Wiener Philharmoniker. Recorded at the studios of Österreichischer Rundfunk, Klagenfurt, Austria. Producer: Rudolf Mraz. Engineer: Franz Plott.

23. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

I can't. Don't remember having this happen with your images before.

CMT likes this.
  24. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

I can't see any on this page, but your older ones work. Oddly enough, I didn't see an image at all for my own Haydn post, so I thought I fixed it on my laptop, but on my desktop I now see two images!

25. JuniorMaineGuide

JuniorMaineGuide Forum Resident

It seems like Discogs is expiring image links to prevent hotlinking. When I open your image URLs I get "URL is expired".

Mr Bass likes this.