Texas Rare/Collectable Record Shops

Discussion in 'Music, Movie and Hardware Store Guide' started by Romero, Mar 9, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Romero

Romero Forum Resident Thread Starter

Hi,

I live in austin texas, the few shops here are cool, but their collectable record sections are fairly limited. im looking to take a little road trip and open to exploring new cities for new shops, but want it to be worth my time.

does anyone have experience in texas w shops that have a large selection of rare/collectable records section?

2. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

I'm assuming you've visited End Of An Ear in Austin.

3. Romero

I have, and its a nice shop, but not a huge rare section.

4. StillFlying

StillFlying Forum Resident

It's been several years since I visited, but Forever Young Records in Grand Prairie is pretty fabulous. I found stuff there that I considered "rare," but YMMV.

Romero likes this.
  5. Romero

wow, just looked at their website and their discogs account. amazing, looks like a huge shop and tons of collectables.

StillFlying likes this.
  6. StillFlying

Yes, it is rather large. You can spend hours in there. I've seen stuff there that I've never seen anywhere else. It's almost as much a museum as it is a record store.

7. Romero

their prices do seem a little big on the high end, but i guess you pay for the convenience of having all those great records in one place.

8. StillFlying

Yeah I remember some of their prices being crazy high. They are definitely proud of their stuff! But so much of it is sealed or like new. Tons of variants, multiple pressings from different countries, that sort of thing. I also remember it being VERY organized, which is not always the case at record stores. And they had glass cases of vintage memorabilia for sale. Beatles, KISS, Elvis, etc. Very cool stuff.

9. n.phelge

n.phelge Forum Resident

If you are looking for rarities and have deep pockets, Forever Young is the easiest option - stuff is priced so high, the turnover is slow (have any of the box sets displayed along the ceiling ever changed?) Every other store I've visited in Dallas, Austin, etc. are really the luck of timing - anything rare that is priced reasonably will be purchased and won't sit there long, and most stores have a discogs or ebay account as an outlet for rare items as well.

Daddy-O4 likes this.
  10. Chee

Chee Forum Resident

Nanker is correct.....too many people walk in and grab the reasonable priced items which is rare in stores.Forever Young has the highest prices in the USA cept maybe Wax Trax Las Vegas.....every store does eBay/Discogs for the rare stuff.

11. glide

glide Forum Resident

Also pulled up their site for a look. Pricing is absurd. That’s one trip I would not take.

Romero likes this.
  12. Chee

Chee Forum Resident

Just hit the Austin Record Show.

13. Oscar Calero

Oscar Calero Member

I was by Austin 20 years ago and I remember back then there a record store by the name MR cheapo it was great. I'm wondering if is there still

14. Danby Delight

Danby Delight Forum Resident

I've just bookmarked the Forever Young Discogs account as a sleep aid for the next time I'm suffering from insomnia. Snoresville.

15. Chee

Chee Forum Resident

You can get sleep aide or just get angry at most record store websites. I just get my laughs at many.

16. Danby Delight

Danby Delight Forum Resident

Why on earth would I get angry at a record store website?

I have never understood the constant whines and complaints of "Oh, this store just puts all the best stuff on Discogs!" So...go to their Discogs page if you want to buy that stuff?

17. petercw2

petercw2 Forum Resident

There's a store in Dallas, over by White Rock Lake, called "14 Records".
    It's owned by a local music scene personality, Bucks Burnett. He's got an impossibly tiny shop, stuffed with a curated collection of mostly rock, pop, alt records.

Here's the deal - all of it is wildly overpriced, but pretty much anything you find in there is going to grade very well. Basically, his premise is he's done all the hard work for you - why go dig for a clean, VG+ copy of "Aja - AB1006" when he's got 2-3 copies? He's an interesting character but always willing to negotiate on prices.

It might not be for you, he's got a $7,000 "holy grail" copy of LedZep2 RL/SS on the wall (price is partially a joke) and a bunch of other really rare pressings on display.

Daddy-O4, StillFlying and zphage like this.
  18. Daddy-O4

Daddy-O4 Senior Member

I have been in 14 Records as well. That’s a good call out. The only thing I’d add to Peter’s excellent post is be aware of the store hours. They are odd and not necessarily consistent. As the owner Bucks himself will tell you : “the most consistent hours are Friday-Sunday, from 2pm-10pm.” Other than that, I’d call first.

petercw2 likes this.
  19. Chee

Chee Forum Resident

Angry? Dopey prices. Show n Tell wall monsters. How come most stores are Discogs prices now? I dig record conventions Hoss, bigger the better, however; most have become lame compared to even 10 years ago.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.