Steve Kilbey: Solo Albums & Side Projects Discussion

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by InStepWithTheStars, Mar 15, 2020.

1. TheOtherDude

TheOtherDude Forum Resident

If true that would be the first foray into hi-res of any Church/Kilbey related project that I'm aware of. Hopefully we'll see more in the future.
    As for the LP, the second Isidore album was released on vinyl but not the first so that would be welcome as well.

2. InStepWithTheStars

InStepWithTheStars It's a miracle, let it alter you Thread Starter

I believe Sydney Rococo was released in the ever-pointless 24-bit/44.1kHz resolution, but I *might* be thinking of the new Waterboys album instead. Either way, hardly hi-res...

3. wallpaperman

wallpaperman Forum Resident

For anyone in the UK, there’s a seller in the UK has new copies of Monsters N Mirages For £32 with free postage. Has 3 copies when I looked. Good deal.

After being out of stock on Amazon for a while, it is available again the, but about £43.

KILBEY, STEVE-MONSTERS N MIRAGES CD NEW 634457523029 | eBay

Anyone keeping up with Steve’s weekly Instagram home gigs, also on his YouTube channel? Good fun, think he’s done one just about every Monday apart from one week maybe. Had George Ellis accompanying him a couple of times.

4. Stringybark

Stringybark New Member

I don't know if this interests you guys, but Steve's got his digital catalogue on super special atm on Bandcamp - Steve Kilbey

D.B. and SJP like this.
  5. D.B.

D.B. Forum Resident

I've been listening to The Dangerous Age, and it really knocked me off my feet. What a wonderful album. It's great to hear Steve work in this context, the songwriting is excellent and Ceberano's vocals are outstanding. No mannerism or pretension, she inhabits the songs all the way, the class-A interpreter I never quite realised she was - like a reborn Chrissie Amphlett, with shades of Bowie and Morrissey. Brilliant record!

6. dubious title

dubious title Forum Resident

After his last couple of records and a recent show which he played a bunch of crappy substandard blues rock fodder I'm done with Mike. Too much contemporary politics and lyrics about his lovemaking. Where has the spirit gone.

7. dubious title

dubious title Forum Resident

Oops. Wrong thread. Sorry. The avatar is so closely associated with the Waterboys I didn't even read the subject.

Steve seems like a good guy, he and his band mates have been very nice to my brother in law who shows up at their shows with his kids.

InStepWithTheStars and D.B. like this.
  8. palisantrancho

palisantrancho Forum Resident

D.B. likes this.
  9. Bluepicasso

Bluepicasso Android Confused

--
    Love Jack Frost. That first album is just great. Love every song on that. Get the new version on band camp as it has a few songs not on the original album.

Minorityshareholder and D.B. like this.
  10. TheOtherDude

TheOtherDude Forum Resident

Ordered the CD through Merchbar. Scheduled to ship on Sept. 11.

D.B., Retropsych and palisantrancho like this.
  11. Retropsych

Retropsych Excessive Lynne Orchestrations

I've ordered from MGM Distribution for a scheduled September 4 delivery,

D.B. likes this.
  12. I got one of these sets recently for cheap for the two bonus discs. We’re these limited to 1000 copies like it says?

13. InStepWithTheStars

I'm guessing it was indeed limited but it definitely didn't sell out. I actually have two copies, I should really pass the sealed one on to someone who really wants it. The prices fluctuate wildly. One day it's $180, the next day it's $35, then a week later it's $100, and not long after that it's $60.

The two bonus discs are not exclusive. Freaky Conclusions was first released in 2003, and Artifacts is available from Steve's Bandcamp. It's the only CD release, but it's lossy sourced, sadly (the Bandcamp download for that album is identical). I met the owner of the original cassette that album came from at the show I attended in 2019 - I should get back in touch.

It still is a nice set. I believe the liner notes are exclusive, and it's a hell of a lot cheaper than tracking down all the Karmic Hit remasters (these are digital clones). Plus our own @Twangy designed it. :righton:

wayneklein likes this.
  14. I held off for years buying it because it was kind of expensive and I had all of it except the bonus discs.

15. InStepWithTheStars

Yeah, I think the Bandcamp edition of Artifacts is a lossy conversion of the already-lossy CD, so you got the "better" version. Plus the box is cool. The mastering is inferior to the original discs for the first five albums (and identical for Dabble onwards), but it's not nearly as bad as the Church remasters. These are listenable! The remasters are also the only place to get some of the bonus tracks - unlike the Church remasters, which only had three or four previously unreleased tracks (digitally, anyway) out of all the bonus content.

wayneklein likes this.
  16. Pop_Zeus

Pop_Zeus Forum Resident

‘Asleep in the Downlights’ EP by ambient band Hammock from 2011 featured vocals from Steve Kilbey and Tim Powles on the song ‘No Agenda.’ (Tim also sung on ‘Verse For Forgiveness). Instrumentals of both were on the bonus disc of their album ‘Chasing After Shadows. . . Living With The Ghosts’ in 2010.

Well worth checking out, as the Hammock only songs on the EP, ‘Sinking Inside Yourself’ & ‘Parker’s Chapel’ are amazing. It is available to buy here:

Asleep in the Downlights, by Hammock, Steve Kilbey & timEbandit Powles

JeffMo and AlienRendel like this.
  17. InStepWithTheStars

I never did comment on Eleven Women. One of his most accessible and tuneful releases. He's a master of atmosphere and mood music, but he can write some damn fine pop songs when he wants to. Of the ones I've heard (which isn't a ton), I'd say it was the best album of the year, surpassing Paul Weller, AC/DC, and my beloved Waterboys. "Think Of You" is a masterpiece.

He teased his next release as a double album, a sequel to Remindlessness. That was a while ago, though - Instagram is so tedious to use and such an awful platform IMO that I haven't kept up with his posts in a few months. I pop in every once in a while and have to jump through flaming hoops to get to the page I want to. Anyway, I'm not sure how much progress he's made on that double album. I do know there's a new Kilbey/Kennedy coming soon.

factory44 and palisantrancho like this.
  18. InStepWithTheStars

Unrelated, but does anyone have a good quality image of the "Transaction" 12" single? I've only found two miserable, tiny scans and some photos of the sleeve sitting at an angle. I love that image, but without buying a record I'll never play it seems I can't have a good quality image!

[​IMG]

Steve Kilbey - Transaction USED Vinyl LP ROCK Australia Import The Church | eBay

The eBay link has way better lighting and colors but I'm sure the link will go dead in the future. I can't get a download for the image on mobile, though.

19. I used to have the single but sold it ages ago. I checked to see if I saved a scan for it but didn’t sorry. Wish I could help.

20. On a side note, I’ve been re-reading Marty Wilson-Piper’s blog on the making of The Church’s albums. Fun read and also quite enlightening on some of the creative processes.

this week-Starfish
    Starfish - Marty Willson-Piper

My timing sucked. Just before they started work on this album I was living close to where they were rehearsing in Venice and didn’t even know it. As they were recording (based on what I know) I moved back to the Bay Area from Los Angeles.

SJP, palisantrancho and factory44 like this.
  21. Did you try Discogs? I seem to remember a decent scan there. I don’t know the resolution.

22. InStepWithTheStars

That's where the linked image comes from. The one on shadowcabi.net is better, but still pretty bad. Those are the only two I've found. Ever since Getty Images pressured Google into making their search engine suck, it's been ridiculously difficult to find good images for obscure artists!

wayneklein likes this.
  23. stoneknuckle

stoneknuckle Forum Resident

24. wallpaperman

wallpaperman Forum Resident

25. Guy E

Guy E Senior Member

I finally got ahold of Eleven Women today. It is an excellent album. I enjoyed Sidney Rococo and didn't expect such a different approach with the follow-up. It's a welcome change of pace.

And I got Jupiter 13 by Kilbey Kennedy today as well. This may be their best album together yet. Kilbey and I are the same age - 66 - and some days I have trouble mustering the energy to walk the dog. The man is a force to be reckoned with.