Stephen King's "The Stand" remake on CBS All Access

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Spaghettiows, Sep 24, 2019.

1. '05Train

'05Train Crashin' & Flyin' & Livin' & Dyin'

What a crushingly disappointing series. So much goodness was left out. So much character development, gone. I liked the link to the ending of the "expanded edition", but King's new "coda" was awful.

2. Jamey K

Jamey K Internet Sensation

I have to admit I hate-watched it. I had high hopes as there were parts of the ABC mini-series I really liked. Gary Sinise will always be Stu. Nick was central to the book and the ABC version. Alexander Skarsgard was disappointing. Evil but no charisma. I'm glad it's over.

aroney likes this.
  3. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

yeah it felt like a complete waste of time.

4. aroney

aroney Who really gives a...?

The ONLY scene I was looking forward too in the final installment of this abysmal series was Tom Cullen rescuing Stu and heading back to Boulder...

...and they just ignored it completely - "Stu's back! Yeah, Tom came along..." :(

Falling in a well, NOT scary at all Flagg dream, Magical Negro Trope redux, and tribal natives to close out this horrible mini-series...o_O

Just when I really thought it couldn't get any worse, it does...

I wonder how many subscribers will be bailing now?

coffeetime and Scott222C like this.
  5. Humbuster

Humbuster Staff Emeritus

Agree. Love this part of the book in which Tom and Stu journey through the mountains attempting to return to Boulder.

coffeetime likes this.
  6. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

Very disappointed in this.

Glad it's over.

Trashcan deserved better.

At first with the jump back in forth in time I was willing to give it some slack but it never got good.

7. Scotian

Scotian Amnesia Hazed

I'm having a hard time getting around to watching that last episode. I have to though cause I need the closure.

8. Edgard Varese

Edgard Varese Royale with Cheese

Trust me when I say you might well regret spending the hour watching it.

aroney likes this.
  9. This scene with Flag appearing in a primitive village after Vegas went up in smoke was from the book.

Rupe33 and '05Train like this.
  10. Disappointing series. Trash was particularly short-changed. Still some good scenes and moments that made watching it enjoyable -but yes, it could have been much better.

11. aroney

I know - it still sucked...;)

12. Scotian

Scotian Amnesia Hazed

I finished it (no small accomplishment). The last episode (King written) was pretty much tacked on filler. That gave them the hook for fans though, a new ending written by Stephen King! I would have liked to see that last hour moved & added on to the plague beforehand & fleshed out that story & the character's backstories more. It's really no good to say what would have made the story better cause with the exception of a few of the actors (they tried), the whole thing was a mess. I'm sure the cast & crew that worked on this were very disappointed with the results. 4/10

aroney likes this.
  13. lahtbp

lahtbp Forum Resident

I’m 4 episodes in and really enjoying it so far. I have not read the book/s so I had no idea what it was about going in. The part that intrigues me the most is how the characters are dreaming about the 2 saviours. Looking forward to finding out.

Pete Puma, Phillip Walch and Curveboy like this.
  14. Scotian

Scotian Amnesia Hazed

Stop now & read the book.

15. aroney

Well, if he's actually enjoying it - he might as well keep going...;)

I probably hated it even more because I read the book - though I still can't see how anyone could enjoy the show. :p

lahtbp and '05Train like this.
  16. Phillip Walch

Phillip Walch Forum Resident

Glad you are having fun with it. Might be best to ignore this thread while you are watching it, especially previous comments which are full of spoilers. I would be interested in what you think once you are done, the perspctive of someone who has not read the book would be interesting.

Pete Puma and lahtbp like this.
  17. SJP

SJP Forum Resident

I read the book when I was a kid. My mom would read all things Stephen King and The Stand was one of a handful that I tackled. Of course I loved the book (haven't read it since) and barely remember the first miniseries.

So we wrapped up this new version last night. I enjoyed it well enough, mostly because I'm not overly critical when it comes to the visual arts and particularly miniseries because I don't watch too many of them. If something doesn't hook me, I hop off. At the end of the day, it is not a big deal. The Stand hooked me just enough to stick with it. I'd probably give it a 6 out of 10 but I certainly don't regret watching it.

18. P(orF)

P(orF) Forum Resident

The whole thing is available on the Paramount+ streaming platform which is offering a 30 day free trial.

I’ve watched the first three episodes and think it’s like listening to Bob Dylan singing Frank Sinatra - kind of weirdly fascinating without being within a universe of being “good.” (And if these guys aren’t Bob Dylan, then Stephen King isn’t Frank Sinatra either so it all evens out.)

I’m mildly surprised that there are viewers who haven’t read the book and still like it. The insanely jumbled chronology is just a terrible decision. As others have mentioned, it completely strips away the building terror that made the first half of the book so strong (and in the age of COVID, it should have sent the viewer to bed with nightmares - and I know it was shot before COVID, but if they hadn’t gotten fancy and just followed the damn story it wouldn’t have mattered.)

So maybe it’s more like Sinatra singing Dylan... Hey, there Mr. Tambourine Man, shooby, dooby, doo

19. J. R.

J. R. Cat Herder

Short review: It sucked....hard

20. Scotian

Scotian Amnesia Hazed

It coulda had class. It coulda been a contender. It coulda been something, instead of crap, which is what it is.

21. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader

Haven't seen it yet but it's coming to Prime in a couple of weeks so I'll watch it then.
    Or should I ?
    Reading some of the comments here makes me think contracting Captain Trips might be a better option...

22. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

I enjoyed it...flawed, yes, but still worthwhile.

23. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader

Being flawed is OK.
    The book was flawed as was the original series but I enjoyed both.

Phillip Walch, P(orF) and Curveboy like this.
  24. Phillip Walch

Phillip Walch Forum Resident

Make your own mind up. You may like it. There was certainly elements I really liked. It is well made, looks good, sounds good, has some interesting ideas but is ultimately let down by its editing. That is my take but you really should try it out and see what you can take from it.

Let us know what you think.

25. aroney

If you don't like it during the first couple of episodes, don't waste any more time and bail...;)

It does not get any better. :(