Masked Singer singing competition

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Turnaround, Jan 2, 2019.

1. MKHopkins

MKHopkins Break out the Hats and Hooters

After this week’s elimination Can we revise the Title of this thread to remove the word “Singing?”

This show has officially left that realm. just sayin’.

2. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

3. MikaelaArsenault

4. MikaelaArsenault

5. MikaelaArsenault

6. MikaelaArsenault

7. MikaelaArsenault

8. daca

daca Currently on Double Secret Probation

Yes, I have watched the previous four seasons. I cannot believe I am admitting this on a public board.

[Rant] This show is getting more and more difficult to watch. I cannot keep investing an hour in watching this “show.” Tonight’s “loser” was reminiscent of the fixing of the $64,000 Question back in the day.

Also, I would rather have Doctor J perform open-heart surgery on me, rather than “Doctor” Ken Jung taking my blood pressure (which is about 250 over 200 when I watch him.). Ken is so annoying that I can no longer watch this show in real time. The DVR is one of the greatest technological advances in television history. [End Rant]

9. Pizza

Pizza With extra pepperoni

Ken being annoying is the joke. I think it’s funny.

10. skyblue17

skyblue17 Forum Resident

I knew the Russian dolls immediately, as someone who has listened to them for the majority of my life. My guess is the judges do as well but aren't gonna hint at it yet.

11. unclefred

unclefred Coastie with the Moastie

The whole concept is flawed, everyone knows that the viewer should have his eyes covered, without a blind test you can't hear the difference between singers. That's just snake oil.

12. geetar_await

geetar_await I heart Linux.

Are the costumes the appeal? or arguing among others who is really behind the masks? i'm having difficulty finding the appeal in this show.

13. daca

daca Currently on Double Secret Probation

Worst. Joke. Ever.

MMM.... are you sure?

In season 1, no. I thought it was a decent enough concept to see if you could see who was actually singing, without truly seeing any of their physical features. Celebs I could not get, but singers I did rather well.

Now in S5, it is farcical how much attention the costumes receive and is a complete (and poor rip-off) of The World of Sid & Marty Croft. H. R. Pufnstuf anyone? Smoke ‘em if you got ‘em. And avoid the brown acid.

14. bamaaudio

bamaaudio Forum Resident

Late to this show, but I've been going back and watching some of the performances and it looks pretty fun. Not sure how many of the people I would've guessed when watching it live. For instance, Lil Wayne sounds extremely obvious when watching in retrospect. And after watching a whole lot of Whose Line I'd imagine I would've picked up on Wayne Brady; he's always been a really good singer and is one of probably only a small handful of people in the world who can consistently come up with funny songs on the spot in a variety of different styles. But someone like Larry the Cable Guy was really unexpected.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2021
    MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  15. MikaelaArsenault

Just as a heads up, this week's episode of The Masked Singer will be the last one until the World Series ends.

On Monday though, there will be an all time countdown episode.

16. MikaelaArsenault

17. MikaelaArsenault

18. MikaelaArsenault

19. groundharp

groundharp Maybe your friends think I'm just a stranger

Actually, Scherzinger comes off as being a lot smarter than Jenny Mac. Scherzinger correctly guessed Ruth Pointer when she was one of the masked singers. And Scherzinger doesn't engage in quite as much exaggerated overreaction as J. Mac (or Ken Jeong, for that matter, although they ALL do it, clearly on orders from the producers of the show).

20. MikaelaArsenault

21. MikaelaArsenault

22. Pizza

Pizza With extra pepperoni

Probably due to the new rules, but I felt the costumes were weak this time around. So was the singing. I may not make it through this season.

23. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

Knight is a personal hero of mine, so I identified him immediately.

24. MikaelaArsenault

25. MikaelaArsenault

Season 9 will be premiering February 15.