New Pink Floyd vinyl reissues

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ptijerm, Apr 9, 2016.

1. krimson

krimson Forum Resident

I have a 1975 US Winchester copy that sounds quite good. No idea how it compares to anything else though.

Floyd47 likes this.
  2. Leonthepro

Leonthepro Skeptically Optimistic

I heard 0 difference between the A1 B1s vs the later A3 B4 that I now listen to mainly. Asked other members, probably earlier in this thread and no one could give specifics on how they differ or what to listen for.

Floyd47 likes this.
  3. Floyd47

Floyd47 Forum Resident

Thanks for the info - funny you mention that. After I posted that question I was reading through a thread from a couple years ago and found your comments saying the exact same thing. Saw you also had positive comments about the 2016 pressing.

Echoes Myron - also found your comments in that thread about 1U and the harmonics on the opening chord of Fearless and the bass slam in the funky section of Echoes

Echoes Myron likes this.
  4. Leonthepro

Leonthepro Skeptically Optimistic

Thats probably it then. Yes the 2016 are in general really good, rarely better than UK originals, but I do prefer them in the case of WYWH and Animals.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2021
    srsch and Floyd47 like this.
  5. Echoes Myron

Echoes Myron Forum Resident

Yeah the only UK Meddle I have is the 1U. It is a super clean copy I got several years ago before prices went bonkers. I stopped there and haven't heard any other UKs (unlike DSOTM where I must have five or six UK copies all the way from A2/B2 on up).

I have a couple US copies of Meddle, though. One is kind of dull, but I have a Wally/Gene that I really like. The 1U is still my fave.

Floyd47 likes this.
  6. Floyd47

Floyd47 Forum Resident

I’ve only been buying records since 2018, so I definitely missed the pre-bonkers prices on a lot of old pressings

I passed up on a VG or VG+ early-mid 70s German pressing on the classifieds here a couple months ago. I maybe should have sprung for that, but figured if I was going to go vintage I should get a U.K. copy

Echoes Myron likes this.
  7. The Gomper

The Gomper By Your Side?

What the hell does that stand for?

8. The Gomper

The Gomper By Your Side?

This post is amazing for all the wrong reasons...

9. RichC

RichC Forum Resident

The 2011 WYWH reissue isn't bad. Like most of the Floyd digital reissues, it gets you about 80-85% of the way there: accurate mix, nice dynamics, little to no surface noise. But it doesn't give you the experience of the better analog cuts. There's an immediacy to those pressings where the soundscape is almost 3D.... whereas the reissues always sound a bit recessed and removed.
    If you don't have an original to compare, you probably don't know what you're missing. And more power to those folks if they're content to buy a new copy for $25 and be done.

I DID find an amazing analog cut of WYWH in fantastic condition for under $30.... It was the "Barry" U.S. cut from 1981, but it took some real hunting. I have no need to do comparisons with the German 2nd press or the various UKs.... You're talking $50 minimum for a half-decent copy after shipping, with no guarantee it'll play anywhere close to quiet.

10. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

[QUOTE="quicksrt, post: 26339726, member: 2139"
    I heard a Sax on a $25,000 system and did not go wow. It just sounded like a slightly above average reissue. Great for someone that had never heard an original, but dullness for those that know the original.

I go for US quad for LP, and IS Shine On box for CD.[/QUOTE]
    I have the Sax cut and I find it underwhelming as well. I hate to say that because I generally love Doug Sax's work, but that LP just isn't that good.

My go-to is the SACD - some people have criticized the stereo mastering on it but I think it's brilliant.

quicksrt likes this.
  11. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

dkmonroe: I have the Sax cut and I find it underwhelming as well. I hate to say that because I generally love Doug Sax's work, but that LP just isn't that good.

My go-to is the SACD - some people have criticized the stereo mastering on it but I think it's brilliant.[/QUOTE]
    I also love Doug Sax's work on about everything (else) I have heard. I have the WYWH Immersion box discs which I bought from folks who wanted to dump the BY or the DVDs from their sets (and keep the CDs). I assume that the SACD and BR mastering are very similar if not identical. But with the BR you get the 70s quad mix.

dkmonroe likes this.
  12. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Germany does PF LPs really well. But it comes down to condition and price.

ODShowtime, Floyd47 and NunoBento like this.
  13. Floyd47

Floyd47 Forum Resident

My bad, it was a typo. Should have said WYWH. Talking about the 2016 pressing of Wish You Were Here that was remastered by Bernie Grundman (except for the first pressing run in the US which was still using the 2011 Doug Sax stampers. Copies purchased now will have Grundman cut).

14. The Gomper

The Gomper By Your Side?

Nice. I have the Sax mastered CD from the Shine On box but don't have WYWH on vinyl...the Grundman sounds like a nice sounding (and budget friendly) option.

Floyd47 likes this.
  15. Floyd47

Floyd47 Forum Resident

How do you like that version? I picked up a copy of the Shine On box a few months ago but haven’t listened yet.

16. The Gomper

The Gomper By Your Side?

I really like the entire set. It's my digital go-to for pretty much all the albums in that set (except for the Dark Side SACD)

17. Floyd47

Floyd47 Forum Resident

Glad to hear it! I’ve heard similar comments - that the albums in the box are generally mastered very good except for DSOTM. I need to listen to the whole box. Too much music, too little time.

18. HiFi Guy 008

HiFi Guy 008 Forum Resident

Is there a list of what reissues are preferred and what are not so great?

19. Echoes Myron

You can't go wrong with any of the reissues and they are affordable. They are all very good, and some are excellent.

Some may still prefer originals of these for this or that dimension, but my criteria is simply when you play this record you will get remarkable sound quality. So anyway here is my personal 'excellent" list:

Piper Mono
    The Wall
    The Final Cut
    The Division Bell
    P.U.L.S.E
    Relics
    A Collection of Great Dance Songs

20. NunoBento

NunoBento Rock 'n' Roll Star

Did anybody else get an email from thesoundofvinyl promoting a double LP reissue of The Dark Side Of The Moon (40 copies!) which was promptly sold out? :confused:

Echoes Myron likes this.
  21. Echoes Myron

No but I am intrigued

ODShowtime likes this.
  22. deadvoices

deadvoices amused to death

23. rockclassics

rockclassics Senior Member

24. Goldy

Goldy Failed to load

25. NunoBento