Pink Floyd The Later Years Box Set

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ken_McAlinden, Aug 29, 2019.

1. Hollowsanctuary

Hollowsanctuary Aujourd’hui, je dis bonjour à la vie

Sorrow at Knebworth is also on streaming platforms. I checked both Spotify and Amazon.

2. Azza200

Azza200 Forum Resident

To buy Knebworth 90 on Itunes its only £5.99

3. Bloodbuzz459

Bloodbuzz459 Forum Resident

I'm indifferent about the Knebworth show. The film footage was the surprise of the box as the quality was beyond expectations, it was also a good performance. But it's a short set and tracks we all have live multiple times over.

Personally I can bearly sit through 'Money' anymore and 'Great Gig In The Sky' is dodgy at best on this. Plus three of the other tracks I have on the Later Years LP and the whole thing on CD in the box.

So I'm REALLY struggling to justify this one...but I do love the cover.

4. Norco74

Norco74 For the good and the not so good…

And despite what others say about the PF marketing strategy, it’s always good to have the choice. I didn’t go for the Later Years box and quite happy I can piece meal whatever they release from it.

5. TheSeldomSeenKid

TheSeldomSeenKid Forum Resident

Same for me, as I found the price at the time of around $320 IIRC, too high to justify buying it when I already owned most of the actual Music. I would have bought TLY Box Set if the price would have event dropped to around $200, but looks like that was never going to happen. Oh well, I own plenty of other Deluxe Box Sets that I still have not played often.

6. Bloodbuzz459

Bloodbuzz459 Forum Resident

Completely agree with that. Releasing in parts is more than fair but I do think there should be an option to have the vinyl or CD to begin with given some people would like one or the other.

Which is why I think there should have been a vinyl and CD box. THEN individually release them.

Looking at my pile of box sets now the majority if not all had the vinyl or CD option at point of purchase and I made a decision accordingly depending on content and the band which I preferred.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  7. puddleduck

puddleduck Forum Resident

I could be mis-remembering this but wasn't Knebworth broadcast live on British TV (or maybe radio?) at the time - I'm pretty sure Clare Torry's vocals on the night were absolutely dreadful - to the point it was actually embarrassing.

8. NunoBento

NunoBento Rock 'n' Roll Star

It was broadcast on TV and radio at the time.

9. Anthrax

Anthrax Forum Resident

Agreed. And that's even after fixing Care Torry!

Fortunately, the rest of the show more than makes up for that.

NunoBento likes this.
  10. Azza200

Azza200 Forum Resident

cat getting strangled comes too mind big improvement in TLY release and this thanks too autotune

Knebworth is def a set of two halves the first 3 songs seem disjointed in their order they should of played Wish ahead of Great Gig. The band really gets going with Sorrow onwards

NunoBento likes this.
  11. Azza200

Azza200 Forum Resident

complete Money

NunoBento likes this.
  12. JulesRules

JulesRules Weaponized, Deranged Warthog Thug

I'm sure there must be videos that combine the fan footage with the much better sounding radio broadcast, no?

13. Packblower

Packblower Lovely form, lovely buttocks.

One of the big positives of this gig is that it’s clear how much Mason’s playing (and Wright to a lesser extent) had improved compared the start of the tour.

14. RockAddict

RockAddict Sanity is an illusion, just like democracy

I have the pre-FM radio broadcast audio and it's a mixed bag. It was pretty windy when Floyd took to the stage and some of the audio, including a couple of vocal lines, gets blown away. However, the overall "feel" of the broadcast audio is much more open (airy) than the over-produced life sucking veil apparent on the three songs released on the original Knebworth video and CD.

For me, the audio of the 2019 remix is just... (tin hat ready)... terrible and that's before taking into account Claire Torry's unfixable crucifixion of Great Gig and the utterly senseless (and badly done) edit in Comfortably Numb.

For me, the only song making an effort to listen to on the 2019 Knebworth release is Sorrow - maybe Shine On for the different take on the sax solo by Candy Dulfer.

With the release of the standalone CD etc (and, presumably, download at some point), the box set (Early Years) doesn't seem to have much (worthwhile) exclusivity left. It surely wouldn't be at all surprising to see the Knebworth footage released as a standalone on DVD and Blu-ray at some point.

Spoiler alert - mini rant ;): IMO, the nature of some of the release programmes over the past decade doesn't sit well for a band whose catalogue contains a fair proportion of material railing against the the corporate monster and the associated avarice. Sure, Floyd can do what they want with the catalogue (notwithstanding the current impasse between Gilmour and Waters) and we have the right to turn our noses up and not buy. But... it still leaves an increasingly nasty taste in the mouth and the word "hypocrisy" doesn't seem too strong.

BTW, a suggestion to Messrs Gilmour and Waters about a possible way forward on the deadlocked works (I'm sure they both regularly tune in to these threads for our uber sage advice!). If the rumours are correct about the main logjam being whether Andy Jackson or James Guthrie should be mixing the 5.1 audio, how about this: release BOTH mixes - the cost of the physical discs is near enough minuscule in this context and the likely sales success is such that paying both Jackson and Guthrie for their services isn't going to come close to making the releases commercially unviable. In turn, we can create a new thread on the SHFs running to 5 million posts arguing about constructively debating which mix is "better" [added: and how we now understand why [insert Gilmour / Waters] wanted [insert Jackson / Guthrie]. :shh: :laugh: Alternatively, we can simply enjoy the new life that, hopefully, at least one of them will have breathed into the material...:targettiphat:

Now to sit back and enjoy a relaxing cup of something hot (and legal). But only if I can get the right person to get the right mix of ingredients... :doh: :shrug:

Last edited: Mar 14, 2021
  15. Azza200

Azza200 Forum Resident

There is a few drum fills by Gary Wallis which really add too the song before the interlude sequence and at 6.13-15 that is a really good drum fill by Gary yet its turned down in the remix.

croquetlawns likes this.
  16. The teaser...

There is also the 10 minute edit of SOYCD (1-5) at Knebworth 1990 available although that comes with an ad break during playback.

croquetlawns likes this.
  17. unclecuddles

unclecuddles Forum Resident

I think she just forgot the words.

ARK and bobloblaw like this.
  18. Anthrax

Anthrax Forum Resident

I hadn't listened to the original for some time and I remembered it was bad, but I had forgotten just how bad. She runs out of ideas about 30 seconds into her part, and then spends the rest of the time reaching for something but coming out empty-handed and resorting to repetition. Painful to hear. But hey, it's Clare Torry.

19. Crikey.

20. NunoBento

NunoBento Rock 'n' Roll Star

I have yet another suggestion. The Guthrie 5.1 remix is done and ready to go, so give Jackson the Atmos mix. Then we'll get a Guthrie surround mix and a Jackson Atmos mix and we all (David, Roger, Andy, James and more importantly the fans) will live happily ever after.

RockAddict likes this.
  21. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

Has Jackson done any Atmos? I thought he was a pretty staunch Quad guy

22. LonesomeDayBlues

LonesomeDayBlues Forum Resident

Listened to the Momentary remix today. I prefer it to the original but that’s mostly due to not being way into the album and the remix reacquainted me with it. I’m probably going to triple dip when this gets released separately (cd and vinyl). It’s always a bit of a chore to dig into the box and remove all those bits. Since I have it open, I might even watch knebworth tonight.

23. Azza200

Azza200 Forum Resident

24. If they have the rights (and the inclination) they could have stuck Pink Floyd at Live 8 (2005) on the same CD or Double LP

Side 1 (20:59)
    01 Shine On You Crazy Diamond (Parts 1 - 5) (11:06)
    02 The Great Gig In The Sky (5:05)
    03 Wish You Were Here (4:48)
    Side 2 (19:45)
    04 Sorrow (9:34)
    05 Money (10:11)
    Side 3 (16:02)
    06 Comfortably Numb (7:47)
    07 Run Like Hell (7:15)
    Side 4 Live 8 (23:29)
    01 Speak To Me - Breathe (In The Air) (4:54)
    02 Money (6:44)
    03 Wish You Were Here (4:41)
    04 Comfortably Numb (7:10)

Total Playing time 1:19:15

25. Fletch

Fletch Senior Member

The only that would happen is if they removed Roger and replaced with Guy Pratt...

ARK likes this.