Dutton Vocalion SACD's Great Price At Grooves, INC*

Discussion in 'Coupons, Discounts & Sales' started by moomoomoomoo, Aug 31, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

I just placed my first order with Grooves. It seems that most people in the U.S. have had good luck with them. Here’s hoping all goes well.

2. Swordsandchains

Swordsandchains True metal never rusts

ive used them a ton over the years and no issues minus some broken cases here or there

3. moomoomoomoo

moomoomoomoo WhoNeedsRealityWhenThere'sMoreSleepToLookForwardTo Thread Starter

The slow delivery on the current order is my first issue ever.

4. moomoomoomoo

My Argent showed up yesterday. Culprit is likely the slow German postal service.

5. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

Thanks. I placed the order last Saturday, and they just shipped some of the discs yesterday (Thursday). The rest of the order is still in process. Perhaps they don’t stock everything and have to get certain discs from distributors.

6. Blair G.

Blair G. Senior Member

The prices at Grooves Inc have risen dramatically in recent weeks.
    Have there been currency fluctuations between the USD and GBP since the pandemic started?
    Most Dutton SACDs have been in the $15/$16 range for a while now, today many are over $17
    The few below that are the of non rock/jazz/soul variety.

Good for DV, make orders direct from them the cheapest option

7. moomoomoomoo

My GUESS it's a slow slow preparation for the upcoming postage increases. Grooves offers free shipping, but as any retailer knows, with "free shipping" postage costs are just folded into the product price. Expect the Europe-USA pricing to increase for everyone. Factually, this is in a response to a threat by Trump to withdraw from the world wise postal consortium if incoming postage to the USA wasn't raised drastically (we currently charge more to ship to many countries than that country charges to ship to the USA. The USA president didn't like that). It's supposed to go into effect June or July. I've been mentioning this in several threads. Sorry if I skipped this one. It's mostly going to impact small packages (CD's & DVD's, etc) It's a very large increase.

JediJoker likes this.
  8. Blair G.

Blair G. Senior Member

Makes sense.
    You might be right.

9. moomoomoomoo

Sadly, unless several newspaper articles lied; I am right. This was not necessary. It only hurts USA citizens.

10. marcb

marcb Senior Member

Unless you're a USA citizen who works in a industry that competes directly with companies shipping from overseas.

PhantomStranger likes this.
  11. moomoomoomoo

In our genres here, their are so few full catalog retailers left, & the states already screwed them by making them add sales tax on top of shipping. Personally, if Amazon is harmed, I wouldn't shed any tears.

To clarify, as a low income person, after they added sales tax to the internet on top of shipping costs; I really needed the low shipping from the UK to afford certain items. Perhaps I should have said, "The worst harm is to USA citizens". I suspect if I go any further with this, it would get too political.

12. Sneaky Pete

Sneaky Pete Flat the 5 and That’s No Jive

I ordered two Dutton Vocalion SACDs from them
    on February 2nd and they still have not shipped. The weird thing is they keep pushing back the expected to ship date a couple of days at a time. Like expected to ship March 8-9, the dates pass and then it says expected to ship March 11-12. Is this a scam?

The other annoying thing is the website showed the items as being “in stock.” Clearly that was incorrect. I am on the fence about cancelling the order now.

13. moomoomoomoo

I never had any issue with Grooves over several years until the Richard & Linda Thompson box last year. Similar situation to what you describe. I also cancelled; no problem getting the money refunded.

14. CraigVC

CraigVC Senior Member

Sounds like their inventory system is not real-time perfect. And that what they once had in stock is no longer in stock. And that they hope to get more in stock at some point in the future, because you have already pre-paid and they are obligated to try and get more in stock. But they can't conjure up additional stock out of thin air; they are limited to what their distribution system(s) can obtain.

At some point, they may realize they are never going to get more in stock, and at that point they would likely contact you and process a refund for you.

If you are tired of waiting, or if you are suspicious that you are being scammed, you should proactively contact them and ask for a refund and to cancel your order.

I ordered something a few months ago (the Richard and Linda Thompson box set, just like moomoomoomoo) and they apologized proactively via email that they didn't get any in stock, as they had hoped, but that they were trying to get some in stock. I waited a few weeks, but in the meantime I tracked down the item elsewhere. Once the second one I purchased arrived, I contacted Grooves to cancel my order and refund me, which they did very quickly. I think the exchange rate had changed in the meantime, so I probably lost a few dollars in the process, but that's the risk of ordering overseas in another currency. C'est la vie.

joelee likes this.
  15. Blair G.

Blair G. Senior Member

My last order was like that. Ordered four only one shipped. The other three are still on the sliding ship date you experienced.
    This happened once before, they eventually cancelled the order and refunded me.
    Maybe I’ll just order direct from DV next time

16. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

Sounds like a waste of time, I will avoid them and deal direct if I need anything. Amazon.ca is another option for Canucks to buy from DV but it os $9.99 per disc for shipping. Definitely cheaper to deal with them on their own web page.

17. Blair G.

Blair G. Senior Member

I was shocked when I saw the current DV pricing on Amazon Canada.
    They were $21.99 + $4.99 each shipping
    Now $25.99 + $9.99 each shipping.
    That’s a crazy big jump. Too big.

Doesn’t leave much choice.
    But supporting them by buying direct is probably the best way to go anyway

18. Sneaky Pete

Sneaky Pete Flat the 5 and That’s No Jive

I think I may do that with my order too. It’s aggravating. Just let me know what you have in stock and I’ll order from you again. This leaves a bad taste in my mouth. They already charged my credit card and I paid the charge. That’s bad business imho.

George P likes this.
  19. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

Encore Records has some of the Dutton SACD titles and charge only actual shipping within Canada.

audiolab1 and eelkiller like this.
  20. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

Thanks Shawn. They had the ones I wanted and nice to support them again.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2021
    noname74 likes this.
  21. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

Could you post a link for your Argent? I can't seem to find it there.

22. moomoomoomoo

yesstiles likes this.
  23. Blair G.

Blair G. Senior Member

Most of the DVs seem to have disappeared from the Grooves Inc website.
    My March back order of 360 Degrees of Billy Paul has finally shipped, but the three late January titles are still in the twilight zone.
    Will likely ask for refund and buy direct

24. moomoomoomoo

I'm guessing it's a postage increase issue. Either that or Dutton is going to smaller press runs.

25. Blair G.

Blair G. Senior Member

I wonder if DV didn’t like their low pricing and opted not to sell to them any more.
    You see the same here. When was the last ImportCDs had Analogue Productions product

PhantomStranger, Electric and jhm like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.