Parasound amps appreciation thread

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by pdxway, May 31, 2019.

1. Carter DeVries

Carter DeVries Forum Resident

Call Parasound tech support. They are all working remotely so you’ll most likely be asked to email your concerns, but you’ll get a reply back quickly. Their customer service in tech support issues is about as good as it gets.

2. Matt Richardson

Matt Richardson Forum Resident

I would recommend capturing the sound with a video off your phone and upload the video to YouTube. Then send the link to the video in an email to Parasound customer service, ask them to watch the video, and explain what's going on. I did the same thing when I was questioning the power button click (or absence thereof) on my A31 amp. A Parasound guy watched the video and responded quickly and satisfactorily.

Carter DeVries likes this.
  3. MikeJedi

MikeJedi Forum Resident

Would something like that really affect the sound ? Maybe it’s in my head because some stuff still sounds great it just seems to me that the popping I am hearing from the inside of the amp once in awhile that is happening must be related to the slight sound quality reductioni am hearing on some stuff No loss of channels or buzzing or loss of power. All blue stays blue on the front. Just seems to be a slight loss like some more muddiness or seems like the bass is really really strong almost too much on stuff (maybe a tiny reduction in the HF?) anyways Calling first thing in the morning and get it all taken care of etc. Parasound is really good. I once had a small issue of how to use the trigger on the back (I think it was the auto on off switch I thought it was shutting down , it was not. It was me lol! and they helped me solved it for me over the phone. This is a bigger issue potentially but I am confident they will take care of it. I mean I have been using it fairly regularly since 2012. I take great care of it , treat it like a baby lol have it in open ventilation but who knows. ! Stuff happens and things age.

:)

4. Litejazz53

Litejazz53 Perfect Sound Through Crystal Clear Digital

The person you will probably speak with is Tony, sometimes it's tough to catch him, but he will be able to answer your questions. If I heard some sort of click or popping in my amp, I believe I would take the top off and try to locate the problem and look for anything that looks off color or problematic. You have a very nice amplifier, one certainly worth keeping and can be very easily repaired. There is probably just no reason to consider a change as I assure you, they can replace a part easily and quickly.
    That is what I love about Parasound, that and the fact that things rarely go wrong to begin with.

MikeJedi likes this.
  5. MikeJedi

MikeJedi Forum Resident

Yeah there is no way this amp is being changed. Ever. Lol. It’s so good. In fact when or if I upgrade to Triton Refrrence.One from my current Def Tech 7002. I bet not only will it run the Tritons it will take control like nobodies business. This thing is so underrated. It’s gotta be doing way more than 125 per channel. It’s probably more like close to 180 or something !! Yes and Parasound is amazing with their service !! Agreed 1000 percent !! These halos are special !! I could probably run a Maggie on it if really wanted too :) thanks for your input !! :) appreciate

Rick58 and Litejazz53 like this.
  6. MikeJedi

MikeJedi Forum Resident

Spoke to Chris real nice dude. He thinks it could be thermal issue but not sure 100 percent. Could be something else. Could be nothing. But we both agreed best to send to them. They are the only ones I trust to fix it. If indeed there is something going on. (I think there is based on what I hear) but they are very thourough. I need that piece of mind to get it done right :) thankfully I have all original packaging ;)

DPC, Rick58, drgn95 and 3 others like this.
  7. PhilCo

PhilCo Forum Resident

Mike, contact Parasound, I have always found them very useful and friendly. they will give you a straight answer about what to do

MikeJedi likes this.
  8. MikeJedi

MikeJedi Forum Resident

RA number received. !! Getting out tmmrw (as long as it stops raining here in Las Vegas lol) if it doesn’t stop raining probably Monday :)

9. luckybaer

luckybaer Thinks The Devil actually beat Johnny

Tell me more about that New Classic 2125, please!

10. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I had a Parasound 2125 in my system for about a month. It was paired up with a Parasound 2100 preamp. It was a good sounding amp but returned it as I bought a used Yamaha A-S1000 integrated amp. Much prefer the A-S1000 overall over the 2100/2125 combo.

11. Boltman92124

Boltman92124 Go Padres!!

Love my New Classic 275v2. Planning on adding a second to bridge.

12. luckybaer

What was it lacking vis-a-vis the Yammy?

13. luckybaer

What did you have before the New Classic 275 v2? How would you describe the performance - i.e., does it do a good job handling bass, and do you think it is pretty transparent, or does it have a way of imparting its own signature on the sound? Just curious, because I'm getting impatient waiting for my Schiit Vidar order, and I might cancel and try something else. Maybe.

14. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I felt the Yamaha A-S1000 had overall better SQ. The A-S1000 has a lower power rating compared to the 2125. But even with a lower power rating the A-S1000 can be pushed to louder volume levels with no sign of strain. I felt that when the 2125 was pushed to louder volumes it wasn't as composed as the A-S1000.

A-S1000 - Specs - Yamaha - United States
    Model NewClassic 2125 v.2 « Parasound

15. Boltman92124

Boltman92124 Go Padres!!

Previous amps were Adcom and NAD. The 275 is 90 WPC and 30 amps current. Stable into 2 ohms. Bass control is good and can handle a tough speaker load. I'm sure the same is true for the 2125. The reason I didn't get the Halo was I wanted a second set of speakers option. I want to bridge two of them for 200wpc into a 4 ohm load which they can do.

Rick58 likes this.
  16. luckybaer

Is it possible to run my main speakers off of "A" and run my sub off of "B" (provided my sub has speaker-level inputs, of course)?

17. Boltman92124

Boltman92124 Go Padres!!

Not sure. I run my vintage Stax headphones on B.

18. okc_craft

okc_craft It All Matters

I have run my 2125 that way. I feel that the amp is fairly transparent, I ran the it with my Rogers Export Monitors. Bass control was good on those fairly inefficient speakers. I now run two bridged on my active open baffles for the 15” woofers.

luckybaer and MikeJedi like this.
  19. luckybaer

I agonized over the decision, but I decided to cancel my Schiit Vidar order (ordered 1/29/21). I just ordered a
    NewClassic 2125v2. Why did I make this decision?

First, I was fine waiting for Schiit, but the long wait allowed me to start thinking harder about what features I wanted in an amp - beyond the ability to effortlessly drive my speakers and mesh nicely with my gear.

Why I gravitated to Parasound:
    • A/B speaker outputs
    • Auto-off and standby
    • Loop out allows me to connect easily to my powered sub without burning an "out" on my preamp.
    • 20Hz and 40Hz filters are intriguing. I don't think I'll use the 40Hz, but I'd like to try the 20Hz vs. no filter and see how things go.
    My set-up with this amp will be:

Turntable: Kenwood KD-2070
    Phono: Parks Audio Puffin
    CD: Marantz CD5003
    Tape: Nakamich DR-2
    Pre-Amp: Khozmo Passive Preamplifier (Vishay Z-foil, Takman REX)
    Headphone Amp: Schiit Vali 2
    Amp: Parasound NewClassic 2125v2
    Speakers: Polk Audio RT25i
    Sub: Klipsch Reference R-110SW
    Speaker wire: AudioQuest Type 4
    Subwoofer Cable: AudioQuest Evergreen
    Interconnects: Bluejeans Cable (Belden 1505F)

Integrated being replaced: Onkyo TX8555 - this may go upstairs to the bedroom for use as a tuner.

DPC, louis_anthony, MikeJedi and 2 others like this.
  20. terzinator

terzinator boots lost in transit

Has anyone used the HINT6 as a power amp? (like used the HT Bypass inputs to use a different preamp?)

In a silly move, I just nabbed a Schiit Freya+ preamp (which I had a couple of years ago, sold and regretted)... Sweet deal on USAM, so I bought it, and have NO use for it at the moment.

But, maybe I sell the HINT6 and get a Parasound stereo amp (A21+ or something)...

So, just curious... would using the HT bypass on my HINT6 be a fair (or ballpark) indication of how a separate parasound stereo amp would perform with a different preamp?

21. Rick58

Rick58 Forum Resident

Huh, I would think so, if the HT bypass is just a straight wire to the amp inputs. I would think it would allow a good comparison between the P 6 and Freya+ preamp as the one in the HINT6 is likely very close to that. The power amp section seems to be “between” the 23 and 21. Apparently the + versions sound a little better.

A 23+ would save money, if your speakers are relatively easy to drive. I got an open box A 21 though ... couldn’t help myself and it does look sexy on the bottom shelf of my rack.

22. terzinator

Yeah, i went back and forth on integrated v separates when I got the HINT6, thinking I was all about a one-box lifestyle. But separates do offer a bit of flexibility.

Speakers are Harbeth 30.2 XD's, so not particularly power hungry. But if I went parasound power amp, I think I'd want AT LEAST as much power as the HINT6. Wouldn't want to go backwards.

If the combo sounds really good, tho, I might just keep the HINT6 for general music, and use the Freya for "listening sessions." The gear is in a closet, and I wouldn't want to leave the tubes heated all day long. (Although the Freya can be run in passive non-tube mode, too.)

Freya+ will get here in a couple of days and I'll test. But just curious if anyone knows whether that HT Bypass would be a true representation of the HINT6's power-amp characteristics.

bever70 likes this.
  23. AmericanHIFI

AmericanHIFI Long live analog (and current digital).

It's lovely, I've had one here.
    Didn't really love the phono stage and the DAC, but the amp was wonderful. Overall package is still high value.

Rick58 likes this.
  24. AmericanHIFI

AmericanHIFI Long live analog (and current digital).

It's probably excellent, as all New Classics I've heard.

25. terzinator

For grins I emailed parasound and they replied within minutes.

Yep, the bypass inputs would allow me to essentially have an A23+ with no P6 preamp.

Looking forward to the testing!

:wiggle:

Rick58, bever70 and 33na3rd like this.