Neil Young Launches Bootleg Series

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Michael, Mar 11, 2021.

1. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

I already have every Princeton Landing show (plus a 4CD "best of") but I might be tempted to spring for a manufactured CD (not CDR) boxset of that run. That is my fave Neil.

2. zakyfarms

zakyfarms White cane lying in a gutter in the lane.

Are there soundboard recordings of these shows? I recall “Baby What You Want Me To Do” from Broken Arrow is taken from these shows and it’s an audience recording.

3. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

All the ones I have are audience sources but the sound quality is fantastic (probably better than the Baby version used on Broken Arrow, although I could be misremembering). I 4get the taper lineages but what I have have been with Schoeps mics (?). I suppose someone could have taped from the board but I've not come across that, and in my experience anyway in taper land audience recordings with good mics blow away board tapes especially in a tiny place like that which is not going to have the guitars going through the PA (?).

4. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O! Thread Starter

I hope we are both lucky in getting what we want!

5. Michael

he doesn't even know...

thnkgreen likes this.
  6. Michael

and the bootleg live series! NOW!!!!

primoridal_ooze and DaveJ like this.
  7. Michael

yes! I vividly remember that...

Jake362 likes this.
  8. Michael

I don't..: )

9. zakyfarms

zakyfarms White cane lying in a gutter in the lane.

Fantastic? I dunno, I've listened to them all (my buddy was standing next to me while taping 5/23 on his Schoeps) and while some sound pretty good, I wouldn't call any "fantastic." Surely not worthy of a major-label release. Maybe an NYA-only run.

10. Jake362

Jake362 Mystic Knight of the Oingo Boingo

Last edited: Mar 14, 2021
  11. mtruslow

mtruslow Forum Resident

I have a great audience of it.

12. Paul b

Paul b Forum Resident

The video is also (easter egged?) in the NYA1 box.
    Cool Neil

Michael likes this.
  13. Michael

that's interesting...

14. Michael

Jake362 likes this.
  15. mtruslow

mtruslow Forum Resident

I'd love to see the Cow Palace show from 1986.

The MEZ, E_Braunn_Fan and JoeRockhead like this.
  16. ralphb

ralphb "First they came for..."

17. 24JGM

24JGM Forum Resident

The broadcast is supposed to get an official DVD release at some point. It's also shown sometimes on NYA.

E_Braunn_Fan likes this.
  18. mtruslow

mtruslow Forum Resident

If it ever does, I’m in.

Heart of Gold likes this.
  19. Teach your Children

Teach your Children Well-Known Member

I can’t see how he can drop 5 shows at once and have them all get individual vinyl releases the same day unless it’s a box set. It doesn’t sound like a box set is coming. Maybe this will be a streaming/hi-res download only series? That would make perfect sense the way it’s described.

JoeRockhead likes this.
  20. IHeartRecordsAz

IHeartRecordsAz Forum Resident

He said awhile back that they had a plan to release Carnegie Hall on vinyl for RSD in April and then having the other five shortly after. Though with RSD sticking to June and July drop dates this year, and delays pushing vinyl production back even further, they’ve abandoned that idea and are releasing them (or Carnegie Hall, at the very least, according to an article about that release) on August 27th. But with him also mentioning the entire Bootleg Series was coming in August in this last NYA message, I wouldn’t be surprised if they dropped all six on NYA and made them available to purchase digitally on August 27th, and then released them gradually in vinyl over time starting with Carnegie in August.

Timjosephuk and DmitriKaramazov like this.
  21. Teach your Children

Teach your Children Well-Known Member

Which means we can assume that Weld will no longer be coming out in August as originally scheduled?

22. IHeartRecordsAz

IHeartRecordsAz Forum Resident

That’s a good question. I guess it depends on how they release this Bootleg Series. If they keep it a mostly digital release, then ORS 5 could still be on track for an August release. But we’ll see.

Honestly, I’m just hoping Warner/Rhino’s plan isn’t to release the Original Bootleg Series in a similar way to how they released the Brilliant Live Adventure albums.

23. jwoverho

jwoverho Licensed Drug Dealer

The Bottom Line show is a classic. If you ever want the recipe for honey slides...it's there.:D

borderwolf, The MEZ and Michael like this.
  24. Michael

: )

25. He has said the Bootleg Series will have CD and vinyl release.Too much of his market is wedded to physical releases (people like me) and that is where he will make money out of them.That being said the 6 coming out close to simultaneously which he has suggested might be a bit optimistic given the manufacturing constraints.He could do this with the cds and have later release dates for the vinyl but I doubt he is inclined to do this.
    Trust me no one will ever do a Brilliant Live Adventures again.