Original/Unaltered "Star Wars" Trilogy on Blu-Ray in 2017

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Bowie Fett, Feb 23, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tim Lookingbill

Tim Lookingbill Alfalfa Male

How do you know the walls were green? Were you there when they filmed it back in the '70's?

I see from your YouTube color grade treatment that you were working in the massive Rec 2020 color gamut viewed in Rec 709 with a wonky (LogC?) gamma curve which is stated in the video was straight from the BluRay source. When I looked up Rec 2020 at ICC's sight and searched on its use BluRays output to standard color gamut of Rec 709. So what BluRay of Star Wars was sourced that output at Rec 2020? My 2011 version outputs in Rec 709. If it was Rec 2020 I'ld have to crank the crap out of my saturation slider and adjust for extreme red/green hue shifts in skin tones.My Samsung HDtv color gamut I play the BD on as I measured it is close to Rec 709.

I can actually emulate this in Photoshop where the skin tones look like baby poop as in your color. Not sure if you're aware of the look full spectrum light gives to skin tones but it isn't what you've depicted in that color grade. There's also a huge and noticeable color constancy issue that forces you to make white have a green hue.

2. DrDre

DrDre Forum Resident

As I said before, the walls are green, because:

1) It's green on projected 35mm, and super 8 prints.

2) I have a friend, who has physically seen and touched the actual panels used in the film, and confirmed, that they are mint green.

The youtube video has nothing to do with me. As Harmy explained in a next video, he made a mistake. Consequently the colors in the youtube video are not representative of what I sent him in the form of a number of LUTs at that time.

The color constancy issue is inherent to the source. We opted for a scene by scene adjustment rather than a shot by shot adjustment to save time.

CraigBic, Exotiki and SamS like this.
  3. Tim Lookingbill

This is an example of true neutral white appearance from color constancy that works on a scene from Mannix I shot and processed in Raw off my Rec 709 HDtv. It's an example of what I see as an issue with the Harmy Star Wars color grade. You need to know the true color gamut source of the BluRay and work in that or else you're going to have issues with color constancy in how white balance appears next to skin tones that were shot of actors with tan colored pancake make up.

[​IMG]

4. DrDre

DrDre Forum Resident

I am aware of this. See the previous post.

CraigBic likes this.
  5. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

guess the masses outside of here prefer STEREO! ha ha ah ah ah ...; )

6. Tim Lookingbill

OK, I missed your other posts including your updated shots. They look great!

The Caucasian skin tones just look a bit off but not objectionable. And the color constancy issue is fixed. At least now I know you know what you're doing. That YouTube color grade video I provided a link to in this thread should be removed from YouTube if these are the improvements you've accomplished.

The mint green white of the Tantive IV is a surprise to me. My guess is the lights they used must have been gelled using complimentary hue to neutralize the green.

Again those shots you posted are a huge improvement! Good JOB!

Last edited: Mar 13, 2021
    Exotiki and DrDre like this.
  7. Tim Lookingbill

I tested if this greenish white was neutralized with a gel from looking the violet hue of the practicals and sure enough it renders the green close to neutral in this Rec 709 screenshot off my calibrated LG display. Note the RGB readouts placing the violet sample on a layer in Photoshop set to Multiply blend mode.

[​IMG]

DrDre likes this.
  8. Michael

without reading all 48 pages...what's the verdict?

9. Exotiki

Exotiki The Future Ain’t What It Use To Be

The verdict is there hasn't been an official release of the OOT since 2006 and no release in HD or 4K and that doesn't look to be changing any time soon.

Hammerhead, BeatleJWOL and Michael like this.
  10. Michael

thanks! well that's too bad.

Exotiki likes this.
  11. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

In my opinion... the verdict is that we have amazing fan-sourced restorations via 35mm print scans, cleaned up and color corrected. All in 4K MKV files, available for download. Except for Empire which is still a work in progress. Just search for 4K77, 4K80, 4K83 and prepared to be blown away. The results are impressive and will make you forget about pining for Disney to release an unaltered version.

CraigBic, Exotiki and Michael like this.
  12. Michael

where? Is this legal?

13. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

No, no legal Blu-rays or streaming of Star Wars original theatrical versions in HD or 4K... yet.

I'm doing a (legitimate) print restoration of a title right now, and it's a massive struggle to normalize the image and get everything under control. The difference between a print (particularly a theatrical print 3 generations down from the OCN) and the actual camera negative is gigantic. People need to just settle down and wait for the eventual restored Star Wars versions that will be done from the original negative.

14. Michael

OK, thanks! I hope yet comes soon!

15. JAuz

JAuz Forum Resident

Are you saying that it IS coming out at some point in the future?

I think most of us have given up hope and are relegating ourselves to things like 4K77. But if there's definitely something in the works, even if it's years away from being released, at least that's something to look forward to. At this point, the 50th anniversary could be a target date.

16. Tim Lookingbill

The evidence is in that people are not going to settle down. The amount of work I've seen put into this from the fans on Youtube indicates this.

Exotiki likes this.
  17. Tim Lookingbill

I'll make it official if Disney does reissue the original Star Wars without all the Special Edition CGI crap and makes the color look as DrDre rendered it or at least close enough, I'll buy the BluRay. AGAIN!

Exotiki likes this.
  18. Exotiki

Exotiki The Future Ain’t What It Use To Be

If that happens, I am on record that I will be in line on day one to get a copy. Now it just has to happen. :D

19. S. P. Honeybunch

S. P. Honeybunch Presidente de Kokomo, Endless Mikelovemoney

The financial windfall from original theatrical versions goes beyond physical product. Disney can also make the movies available on their streaming service.:link::yikes::-popcorn::-plnktn-::targettiphat:

BeatleJWOL and Exotiki like this.
  20. greg_t

greg_t Senior Member

theybare already there in nice 4K Dolby vision hdr with atmos sound. I don’t see them redoing them anytime soon. I also think that 90 some percent of people really no longer care or are that invested in the original versions, if they are even aware that what their seeings isn’t the originals. Disney is focused on future of Star Wars.

21. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I would be surprised if it wasn't. All they have to do is want to do it and spend the money. I think they spent about $2 million remastering the last "George Lucas" version in 2004, and I'm guessing it would be several times that in order to go back to the original 1977 version: reconforming all the shots and dropping in the O-neg for the changes he's made over the years. The clean-up would take a great deal of time and effort.

JAuz likes this.
  22. indigovic

indigovic (Taylor’s Version)

No doubt. But really, how many people would sign up for Disney+ just for that? I just think that the universe of Star Wars fans who would be willing to subscribe to a streaming service but who haven’t already signed up for The Mandalorian, the other 9 Star Wars films, the Clone Wars, or the other upcoming series, but would be put over the edge by the original versions of the original trilogy just can’t be that big.

23. Anthrax

Anthrax Forum Resident

Guilty.

Michael likes this.
  24. Anthrax

Anthrax Forum Resident

Frankly, the day Disney do come up with the restored ORIGINAL Star Wars trilogy, they'd be silly not to release them to theatres first.

BeatleJWOL likes this.
  25. CraigBic

CraigBic Forum Resident

It would make for a fantastic 50th anniversary celebration even though I’d prefer not to wait until 2027.
    I did manage to see the original trilogy in cinemas last year which was pretty fun even though I think Return of the Jedi was ruined by the changes.

BeatleJWOL and Exotiki like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.