Grateful Dead on Vinyl: Comparing Pressings

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Wingtip, Dec 20, 2020.

1. TakiJones

TakiJones Senior Member

I just picked up Europe 72 from the Dead Store

Used a coupon code for 10% off

CC20WMG10

oldjollymon likes this.
  2. domesticmachine

domesticmachine Resident Forum

I grabbed it earlier today too with that code. Need to compare with my original German LP as described a few posts above. I think the Bellman might be in for a run on it’s money. Either way sound investment given the 2nd hand prices of the 2019 Bellman.

3. uzn007

uzn007 Watcher of the Skis

I have one of those, I think it sounds great, but I don't have anything to compare it to. I think it's the same pressing plates as the previous Rhino version, but it's got the new ugly Warner Records logo on a brown label.

4. uzn007

60s & 70s Dead vinyl is crazy expensive right now. I saw an ad a month or two ago on Ebay where some guy was selling an "ORIGINAL PRESSING NM BEAUTIFUL COPY" of American Beauty with a "palm tree" label and scratches/scuffs that were visible even in the thumbnail picture (no joke). I'm pretty sure the thing sold for $40+.

john lennonist and ODShowtime like this.
  5. uzn007

I doubt it, but I'd be first in line.

6. cdb3

cdb3 Forum Resident

See my post no 117 above - 2003.

7. Crosseyed

Crosseyed help I'm a rock

Europe 72

Short version is get yourself a German 1st pressing if you can track one down.

1st pressing “greenie” 3 WX 2668

Mastered At – Artisan Sound Recorders

Pressed By – Columbia Records Pressing Plant, Terre Haute

https://www.discogs.com/Grateful-Dead-Europe-72/release/9171947

I tracked down an original Terre Haute 1st pressing after buying the Rhino reissue. On this version the sound stage is noticeably more dynamic and has much more “air” to breath. So nice to hear the album as it was originally intended to be heard. I thought that this would be my “go to” copy until I tracked down a German 1st pressing with different mastering…

German 1st pressing “greenie” WB 66 019

Lacquer Cut at – Tonstudio Pfanz

Pressed By – Teldec-Press GmbH

https://www.discogs.com/The-Grateful-Dead-Europe-72/release/6017518

I was genuinely shocked when I compared this pressing (which was made by Teldec in Hamburg Germany) to the US 1st pressing. This pressing has so much more warmth and depth to it - the difference is startling. Most noticeable are the drums - which have a cardboard canned sound to them on the US 1st pressing - here they sound full bodied and rounded. Ultimately the US pressing sounds somewhat brittle and shrill in places when compared to the German pressing which exposes no limitations and is a revelation to listen to. This is now my "go to" copy.

Rhino repress RH1 2668

Mastered At – Bernie Grundman Mastering

Lacquer Cut at – Bernie Grundman Mastering

Pressed By – Record Technology Incorporated

Mastered from the original 1/4" analog stereo tapes at Bernie Grundman Mastering Studios. Pressed at Record Technology, Inc. on premium 180 gram virgin vinyl. Features all original replica packaging including an 8-page book.

I have affection for new vinyl masterings from the original analogue tapes but they can sometimes sound a tad bit too low in volume and somewhat anemic in nature. This release is no different. I really appreciate the efforts with this release - the quality is top notch vinyl, sleeves, and packaging. However the dynamic sound stage (which is already challenged by default on the original master tapes since they tried to normalize all recordings from different venues by adding reverb etc.) is even more limited here. The sound stage is somewhat dull and flat - something that probably won’t be noticed unless you compare it to the original greenie first pressing - and if you do it’s obvious.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2021
  8. Wingtip

Wingtip Forum Resident Thread Starter

I'd love to do a shootout of your preferred German vs my preferred USA pressing. I've had first-run German pressings of both Workingman's Dead & American Beauty and though they were nice, there was something missing when compared to the best of my USA greenies. Maybe the tapes sent overseas had an extra generation on them? I'm definitely open to the possibility that the German E'72 is something special, but the proof is in the listening.

9. Wingtip

[​IMG]

Europe '72, Vol. 2

A fun dip into the vast E'72 catalog, but hard to justify given that the entire tour is available on Spotify. Two minor quibbles: I'd have preferred the Dark Star from 4/8/72 instead of 5/7/72, and the NFA>GDTRFB>NFA from 5/3/72 instead of 4/7/72, but other than that the selections are solid. The Big Railroad Blues from 4/17/72 is an absolute banger and is not available on the CD version. Curiously, footage of the same version of BRB was used in the Amazon series Long Strange Trip, but it's not available on the soundtrack for that show either. Overall, a nice LP set but it's got a smooth, CD-like presentation that doesn't really thrill. Nice to have but not worth the high prices sellers are asking on Discogs, except as a collector's item.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2021
    Swansong likes this.
  10. domesticmachine

Thanks for the comparison. This reflects my impression of the German greenie but I don’t have any other copies to compare to. It really does have this aura of warmth and clarity I was really struck by. I assumed this was on par with the US Artisan given the reviews of that one but really nice to finally see some comments on the German. You can pick these up when they appear for a lot less than an Artisan.

As the other comment said I do wonder if there’s was a difference to the mastering process with this German release given that it must have been assumed that the European market would eat it up?

11. jewelsnbinoculars

jewelsnbinoculars Forum Resident

Appreciate your thoughts on this and would love to hear what others think as well. It’s been on my want list a while, but prices are a bit crazy lately.

Vinyl Archaeologist likes this.
  12. TWolfe

TWolfe Well-Known Member

Hi - new to the forum, been back into vinyl last two years or so, recently upgraded... so please bear with me, as I'm learning.

Got the VMP set (had a pristine first-press Live Dead, but like many others, the Without a Net inclusion sealed the deal).

The bad:
    My box had a knick in it (which I accidentally made worse the other day - finally put the outer box back in the shipping box, to preserve it better). The sleeves were frustratingly messy. A couple of the labels were off-center.

And, of course, being new to vinyl, I'm exceptionally paranoid that I'm missing something and I have the worst set ever.

BUT

The good:
    While a couple of labels are misapplied, the holes themselves do not appear to be off-center. And I don't appear to have any non-fill issues.

The sound is largely amazing, especially WD, AB, TS, and Reckoning. Live Dead and Europe have a sound floor that seems to be, in my experience, common to all versions, so I chalk it up to recording. But once you get past the fuzz, the separation and depth of sound is amazing on all of the discs, except perhaps Europe '72, which doesn't quite pop, for me, like the others.

Interestingly, on first listen, I felt like WOTF was missing a bit muddled, but after reading this thread, and listening to it right now... I must have been drunk upon first listen or something. It sounds great, especially the harmonies on Mississippi and Weather Report.

Thx

Shawn, Wingtip and uzn007 like this.
  13. Wingtip

[​IMG]

Jerry Garcia and David Grisman
    2014 Mobile Fidelity pressing, Krieg Wunderlich remaster
    This an absolutely stunning pressing and exhibit A for what Mofi can do when they've got a good master tape to work with. A few posts back, I wrote that the Analogue Productions Reckoning was one of my go-to demo albums. When I'm trying to impress Deadhead friends, this is the other eye-wateringly good acoustic LP that comes off the shelf. The clarity, depth, and richness of the instruments and Jerry's voice is a deeply moving experience. It's sold at out but "backordered" at AcousticSounds and "awaiting repress" at Music Direct. It was a bargain at $40 new (IIRC) and would be worth it (for me) at twice that price today.

Cassius, Swansong, grx8 and 7 others like this.
  14. jewelsnbinoculars

Quite possibly the best sounding record I own, and easily the best sounding acoustic record I own. It’s simply stunning. It feels like you’re sitting down with them beside you. I believe is available as back order on MOFI right now, don’t hesitate folks.

15. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

I find this a great listen. I just made the fatal error of bringing it to a 'record listening party' shortly after getting it... and the guy who was spinning dropped the thing denting the whole package. Vinyl is fine, and I'm the first to say I don't care much about cosmetic blemishes when they arrive from a store, but that annoyed me and still does. At least he didn't drop the record outside of a sleeve. Ok, enough venting. LOL

I very much enjoy spinning this. I prefer the tracklist to E72 V1, and it gets more playing time than E72 V1 in my home. The availability of the whole tour does make this 'non-essential' -- but if you like your vinyl -- I really don't think you'd be disappointed. It's not a sonic revelation (beyond the digital shows out there), but it sure holds it own. That being said, I have no idea what its going for these days...

Wingtip and jewelsnbinoculars like this.
  16. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

I desperately need that MoFi pressing in my collection!

Revolver likes this.
  17. Wingtip

[​IMG]

February 27, 1969 and February 28, 1969

These two Record Store Day boxes are re-releases of material originally released as part of Fillmore West 1969: The Complete Recordings compact disc box set. My formative Dead listening experiences of this legendary run were mostly cassette copies of Dan Healy's 1991 rough mix from the 16-track tapes, plus a treasured high-quality CD bootleg of 02.28.69. I really like Jeffrey Norman's 2005 mix, but it sounds more muscular on the CD box set; it seems they tamed Phil's bass and lowered the volume overall for the vinyl releases.

As much as I love the Dark Star from the 27th, the show as a whole is not one I revisit often and I don't think this vinyl pressing is an essential release. The Live/Dead version will always be the definitive presentation of this Dark Star, and this box is not a premium product like the Sunshine Daydream vinyl set.

The 28th holds a special place in my pantheon of greatest Dead performances. The Grateful Dead had been developing the "Live/Dead" show structure through the second half of 1968 and early 1969, and they achieved its apotheosis on February 28th, 1969. Every song is a classic rendition that ranks as one of the best versions ever performed, and many are my personal favorites. I even prefer this Dark Star to the previous night's, because it features stunning contributions from every band member and a gorgeous, unique, melancholy jam that is now part of my brain's hardwiring. The Lovelight has an unusual tension-and-release jam, the Eleven is absolutely face-melting, and the terrifying Death Don't is easily on par with the definitive performance from 03.02.69 that appears on Live/Dead. As with the 27th, however, this set is just a nice pressing in a decent box, not a real premium package. I'm glad I own it but it's not as essential as The Complete Recordings CD box set, which also includes an awesome bonus disc from 06.09.69, which is the night of Robert Hunter's apocalyptic acid trip that inspired Black Peter.

zongo, Cassius, Swansong and 8 others like this.
  18. Mad Dog

Mad Dog Forum Resident

Nice review. Wonder when we will see the rest of the Fillmore West vinyl?

19. john lennonist

john lennonist There ONCE was a NOTE, PURE and EASY...

Nice clean copies of Original / Early-pressed Dead LPs were selling for $2-3 in Portland 5-6 years ago ?

:wtf: :faint:

I never see nice clean Original pressings of Workingman's or American Beauty or Europe '72 or From the Mars Hotel or Terrapin for under $25.00 - $40.00.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2021
    Vinyl Archaeologist and Revolver like this.
  20. domesticmachine

Definitely. VG covers I can live with and the LPs aren’t Goldmine VG+ but between 2010-2016 I picked up decent playable copies of most 70’s studio LPs for less than $8 each, most under $5. I think a lot of stores that focus on indie music still considered them throwaways although to be fair to the shop owners here a lot priced fairly and still do. I did pick up a few in upstate NY as I lived there for a few years. Record show/estate sale $2 bins for sure.

Vinyl Archaeologist likes this.
  21. jewelsnbinoculars

On the Fillmore West releases, I only have the 28th, the stronger show imo, and I would say it is essential. The box is no frills, sure. But the music speaks for itself. I think it sounds phenomenal, particularly the clarity of the bass, the balance of the instruments despite the primal energy of the jams it contains, and the overall crispness and clarity of the soundstage. Can't compare it to the original box on CD, which I haven't heard for years, but I think it's a wonderful document and absolutely a steal for what you can get it for right now.

sami, Mad Dog and uzn007 like this.
  22. Revolver

Revolver Forum Resident

The lead-in groove on the vinyl in the February 27 box (EU version) is the thinnest I've ever seen. It takes a bit of precision to drop the needle in there before the crowd noise starts.

BlueTrane likes this.
  23. challenge

challenge Forum Resident

I agree I have this box and I would say it is the best early Dead you can get on Vinyl

jgrillo and jewelsnbinoculars like this.
  24. ODShowtime

ODShowtime jaded faded

I have to get off my ass and spin those 69 vinyl boxes some more.

Wingtip and jewelsnbinoculars like this.
  25. uzn007

Same on the US pressing (presumably it's from the same master). My Dual turntable has a little 'indent' that's supposed to let me position the tonearm before dropping the needle, but it fails on this release, while working with virtually every single other record I own.

Revolver likes this.