Finished Deadwood, Lost, Mad Men.. What's next?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by alexpop, Jan 2, 2014.

1. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits.... Thread Starter

Oh! That’s a new one ( 2021) to early for media ( dvd ).

It's Felix likes this.
  2. alexpop

Unfamiliar with Coppers, but seen a bit of HOW. What’s the better of the two for western genre?

3. YardByrd

YardByrd rock n roll citizen in a hip hop world

24 had that annoying "every episode is a cliff-hanger, Jack ALMOST got him this time, but not quite" thing... I recently tried watching Michael Chiklis in his first breakthrough role as Commissioner Tony Scali in The Commish, but, man, that has not dated well at all!

slipkid and alexpop like this.
  4. alexpop

24“?
    First few seasons were good I found.

5. alexpop

I’m watching this again ( last viewed nov, 2020). Not overawed with this series, nor the ( earlier ) film for that matter.

6. Bill Hart

Bill Hart Forum Resident

Haven't gone back to catch up w/ this thread given its length but stuff I've watched that has been great or at least not a waste of time include: The Shield, which I had started years ago, finally binge watched it, great; The Last Kingdom, about the Vikings and King Alfred who was trying to unify England- wonderful story about a boy who was captured by the Vikings and raised by them but lent his sword to Alfred- torn between both factions, with lots of betrayals, ale drinking, wenches, and swordplay; The Expanse-- I had read all the books a while ago, the TV series was something I had only dipped my toe in- terrific, well made, SyFi did the first two or three seasons, then it got picked up by Amazon. If you like space opera, this is a good one. (My wife who is not a sci-fan, was captivated by it). No wormholes as such.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2021
    alexpop likes this.
  7. maui jim

maui jim Forum Resident

Watching Halt and Catch Fire which was AMCs followups to Mad Men.
    Re watching The Wire. Which has not aged well.

Veronica Mars likes this.
  8. Dahabenzapple

Dahabenzapple Forum Resident

Liked Halt & Catch Fire much more than I thought I would

watching Season 3 of The Sinner & Get Shorty / just finishing season 1 of the latter

Both are great. Bill Pullman is the real deal.

favorites for me over the last year

Rectify then all the rest like Bloodline, Ozark, Kingdom, Animal Kingdom, You, Industry, Euphoria, The Undoing and a few others

of course first 3 seasons of Fargo

Mini series - Escape from Dannamour

Rectify is one of the best series I’ve ever watched

DLD, entropyfan, Brenald79 and 3 others like this.
  9. chumlie

chumlie Forum Resident

Season one of True Detectives. BRILLIANT !!!

10. It's Felix

It's Felix It's not really me

Lupin on. NEtflix, worth a watch, french with subtitles

alexpop and maui jim like this.
  11. It's Felix

It's Felix It's not really me

Last kingdom books are a good fun read, read about five of them, recommended.

12. alexpop

Netflix? Quality stuff. I wait for their media releases.

It's Felix likes this.
  13. alexpop

Watching Westworld 3 again ( last viewed nov 2020). Was it the intention of only three seasons?

14. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

I wish they had stopped after TWO seasons. S3 was such a godawful stupid mess I found it extremely difficult to even force myself to sit through it. If they had intended a S4 I would hope the network/whatever canceled it.

15. alexpop

S3: had two episodes short.
    Maybe s4/s5 will redeem it.

I watched S3 again, and preferred it this time.

16. I've run out of quality dramas to watch. :laugh:

Between shows having casts that are too unrealistic to believe, and waiting for Better Call Saul, I'm out of stuff. I have no idea what to watch. I guess I'm kind of waiting on The Handmaid's Tale, too.

Otherwise, yeah, I've seen all of the usual suspects mentioned herein: the heavy hitters like Breaking Bad, Mad Men, Sopranos, The Knick, Boardwalk Empire, Babylon Berlin, The Wire, The Leftovers, Les Revenants, Oz, The Americans, etc... And a recent good one Das Boot.

I couldn't get into Deadwood, Game of Thrones, or Lost for various reasons.

I started 30 Coins last night, but I didn't care for it.

It seems that a lot of the European and Scandinavian series these days deal with finding someone dead and figuring out the mystery. There appears to be a ton of those.

Into the Night was a fairly entertaining French/Belgian show. I think Covid has held back filming for Season 2, as well as the 4th season of Babylon Berlin.

Forget network TV. Ain't happening. :p

I'm at a loss, Hoffmanites. Any suggestions? :)

Edit: oh, yes, and I've seen Narcos, The Boys (fantastic!), and probably a few others I didn't mention.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2021
    maui jim likes this.
  17. I agree. Babylon Berlin is on par with any show out there today. The attention to detail is amazing. The two main characters are a wee too pretty, or, at least the chick is, but I understand because of her occupation. Otherwise, I can find very little fault with anything. For a period piece, dare I say it's better than Boardwalk Empire.

I finished Season 2 of Das Boot and it was damn good! It pushed credulity a smidge, but it was easy to get wrapped up in the story, nonetheless.

18. JimW

JimW In the Process of Becoming

If you liked the Wire, David Simon's Treme is great. The music scene in New Orleans! One of my favorite theme songs to boot. I really enjoyed Justified. Similar to some cop shows in parts but deeper and much more humorous. An engaging depiction of life in rural Kentucky, complete with the Dixie Mafia along with corrupt local cops. A recent one preparing for its 3rd and final season, that depicts life for the bottom of the bottom layer of society is Pose: the world of Afro-American homosexuals and Transgendered. Talk about fighting against the odds! Oh yeah- during the era of AIDS blossoming. Based on the ballroom scene in NYC (thus the name). A ton of heart in this show.

On Netflix really enjoyed Black Mirror- sci-fi standalone episodes. Bloodline about family dynamics has some depth. Ozark will be airing its final season this year, some similarities to BB, but the main character gets caught in a web not of his own making where he has to launder money for a Cartel or he and his family will die. Dark is a mind-bending German show (English dubbed) about time travel that is mysterious, well-crafted and requires a lot to keep track of, but worth the effort. Nice surround soundtrack too. Godless is a good limited series. If you like crazy, dark humor, Shameless is a hilarious show also filled with pathos about a dysfunctional family headed by a total low-life alcoholic.

And one of my all-time favorites (only available on hulu as far as I can see): Rescue Me. Dennis Leary as an alcoholic fireman suffering from PTSD post-911 in an NYC firehouse populated with an amazing assortment of testosterone-fueled macho men filled with hilarious antics and some incredible pathos. Most dynamic show I've ever seen, in that there are many gut-busting laughs contrasted against incredible depictions of sorrow. More high than lows. A role that was made for Leary and is undoubtedly the finest of his career.

maui jim and EVOLVIST like this.
  19. Thanks! I've seen Black Mirror, Bloodline, Pose, and Ozark. Still, there are enough interesting suggestions here for me to have a look.

Shameless looks particularly interesting, as I so does Rescue Me.

The wife and I had started Dark, but I don't remember why we stopped. I should give that another try. :)

JimW likes this.
  20. alexpop

„Shameless“

UK or USA?

21. Scotian

Scotian Amnesia Hazed

I watched the whole UK series but didn't care for the US version. Maybe if I hadn't seen the UK version...

They've probably been mentioned but Life on Mars (UK) is really good & The Inbetweeners (UK) is possibly the funniest series I've ever watched.

alexpop likes this.
  22. alexpop

Life Of Mars (Uk) excellent I must say. also follow up series Ashes To Ashes. Special mention to U.K. MAd Dogs.

I’ll look out for the Inbetweeners.... thx

Last edited: Mar 14, 2021
    Scotian likes this.
  23. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Just finished the first seasons of the post-apocalyptic The Rain on Netflix, and Hugh Laurie as the psychologist Chase on Hulu.

These days, you can always set your watch by what my wife found insufficiently-explained that sets-up the second season, leaving me to continue watching them on my own. :shrug:

alexpop likes this.
  24. TheSeldomSeenKid

TheSeldomSeenKid Forum Resident

The Mayans-Season 3 Starts this Week

Below is a Trailer to Season 2. So far after 2 Seasons despite the slow start(first few episodes) in Season 1, is looking to be as good as SOA, if not better. Although, Sutter was fired as the Showrunner, as his Bad Temper got him in trouble with the Suits at FX, so hoping Season 3 stays on track in quality, although James had been a Co-Showrunner for this Series, so it is possible. If you like SOA and mix in Mexican Drug Cartel to the Plot along with an Undercover Character(will not spoil it here), then you should like The Mayans. The Lincoln Potter Character from SOA also has a Big Role in The Mayans.

Great Opening Credits Music also.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2021
    Brenald79, EVOLVIST and alexpop like this.
  25. TheSeldomSeenKid

TheSeldomSeenKid Forum Resident

Below is a preview for The Mayans 3rd Season:

Mayans M.C.showrunner Elgin James teases season 3 'reckoning' coming this spring

There's a reckoning ahead on Mayans M.C., and fans won't have long to wait for season 3.

The M.C. will be suited and booted and ready to ride again on Tuesday, March 16 on FX, and series executive producer and showrunner Elgin James tells EW exclusively what's ahead.

In the season 2 finale, EZ Reyes (J.D. Pardo) decided on his future as his brother Angel (Clayton Cardenas) saw his ripped away. After Dita Galindo's (Ada Maris) murder, there's no turning back for EZ and there certainly will be hell to pay.

"Season 3 picks up just a few months after the slaughter of the Vatos Malditos," James teases. "EZ, now fully patched, struggles to find his footing within the club's hierarchy and, haunted by his murder of Dita, finds himself torn between darkness and the gravitational pull of his new love interest. Angel, gutted after having Adelita [Carla Baratta] and his child ripped away from him, loses himself in sex, booze, and violence, until a shot at redemption lands on his doorstep."

But the Alvarez family won't be the only ones having to make challenging choices in Santo Padre, a place where secrets don't remain hidden forever and the reaper is always on the prowl.

"Coco [Richard Cabral] spirals on a journey into hell as his demons finally overwhelm him," James continues. "Alvarez [Emilio Rivera] will be forced to decide once and for all where his loyalties truly lie, with the Mayans or with Galindo [Danny Pino]. And ghosts of the past come calling for all of the M.C., both individually and as a club; from past loss and loves, to a dead SOA member buried in the Mexican desert. This is a season about reckoning. This is the season we get to know these characters beyond the kutte. This is the season we tell their stories."

Catch up with the first two seasons of Mayans M.C. available to stream in its entirety via Hulu.

Brenald79 likes this.