Original/Unaltered "Star Wars" Trilogy on Blu-Ray in 2017

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Bowie Fett, Feb 23, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member

Whatever eventually shows up officially CAN NEVER BE ACCEPTED BY THE RABID FANS WHO KNOW BETTER.

Smarmy will never accept it.

2. indigovic

indigovic (Taylor’s Version)

...assuming there are any theaters left by then.

3. rnranimal

rnranimal Senior Member

As soon as a fan restored Empire that I like becomes available, I'm done worrying about whether Disney will ever get around to releasing the originals. I have real deal versions of Star Wars and Jedi in HD from prints that I am perfectly happy to accept as my watching copies. I don't care whether pros did them or whether they are as sharp as the official blu-rays. All I care about is that they look enjoyable on my projector and are from original prints. The de-specialized projects were interesting but I'm over those. I want to watch the real deal. People can try to say digital representations of prints aren't the real versions because of color or NR or patching missing frames or whatever. That's all nitpicking when the only official option is the Special Editions.

Once I have Empire, I'll be set. If Disney ever wants to put out original versions, I'll be there to buy them. But if not... whatever. I haven't been very impressed with the quality of official Star Wars releases anyway. 1993, 2004, 2011, 2019. They all had pretty big quality flaws. Gimme the fan print transfers with natural looking color correction and original sound mixes from laserdisc any day.

CraigBic, Exotiki, BeatleJWOL and 2 others like this.
  4. AlmanacZinger

AlmanacZinger Zingin'

That, or not enough mono mixes were made available. :p

Michael and Exotiki like this.
  5. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

stop it! ahhahahahahaha! : )

and they released a stereo and mono CD box sets..Stereo won...deal dude ; )

Exotiki likes this.
  6. Michael

I was expecting a better result!

7. AlmanacZinger

AlmanacZinger Zingin'

Let's not forget, now we got the remix fans in the debate too. :laugh:

8. Michael

yea, lots of laughs!!!

9. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I think it would be a multi-platform release on theaters, on streaming, and on physical media. And I could see a whole ad campaign based around, "At last... the ORIGINAL Star Wars is back!"

BeatleJWOL and Exotiki like this.
  10. Anthrax

Anthrax Forum Resident

Absolutely.

If I were in charge, though, theatres would be the first stage of that campaign. I reckon more people are ready to give these movies a go on the theatre and buy a ticket to watch them there for the hell of the experience than are ready to buy a DVD/bluray or subscribe to Disney+ to watch them home like they've been doing for years now. Then, once the theatre run is finished, they can come out in physical + streaming formats.

Then again, hell knows what state the market will be in when those versions of the films are ready to go.

11. CraigBic

CraigBic Forum Resident

I can't imagine there are fans out there who wouldn't want to buy them, especially if they do a really good job of it and have some new BHS material, new audio commentaries etc. Even the newer prequels fans who seem to dump on people for having the audacity to reject George's vision would probably pick up a copy.
    I think one of the dreams would be for them to gather up the editors for an editors commentary track. It has certainly felt as though there has been an effort to scrub Marcia Lucas from the record as much as possible so it would be good to hear from her and the other editors that she worked with on the 3 films. There is this interview of her from the 40th anniversary and I'm not aware of many other interviews that she has done. Perhaps they could even remaster the documentary "Star Wars to Jedi" I remember seeing that advert for the Star Wars trilogy box set and because I was a small child at the time even though I knew it was a documentary in my imagination it was this yet to be seen sequel to Return of the Jedi. Sounds pretty dumb looking back on it but I was probably around 6 - 8 when I saw it.

Exotiki and BeatleJWOL like this.
  12. Tim Lookingbill

Tim Lookingbill Alfalfa Male

Just like they did with "The Wizard Of Oz" which I see "Star Wars" as the baby boomer's equivalent in how it impacted my life when I saw the WWII style tail gunner outer space shoot out scene clip with Hans and Luke shown on Johnny Carson.

And it's kind of fitting in some sort of prophetic way that "A New Hope" wasn't even mentioned back then, just "Star Wars" but the experience of seeing the movie for the first time made it feel the movie itself was a new hope for me as a high school teen growing up in small towns in Texas in a depressed economy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.