Saturday Night Live (SNL) 2020-2021 46th Season Thread

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by modrevolve, Sep 1, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Slug Man

The Slug Man Forum Resident

Melissa Villasenor looked really hot as Dua Lipa.

2. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

Yes she did.

3. I don’t like the musical numbers in general so there was a big stretch where I tuned out. But I always laugh when Kenan plays LaVar Ball during Weekend Update.

4. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

As I have family in the Charlotte area, I found all of LaVar’s “the Queen City, the gateway to Gastonia!” jokes pretty funny, although perhaps the humor was lost on much of the rest of America.

5. Tim Lookingbill

Tim Lookingbill Alfalfa Male

In a way you just described why Kennan is funny by the fact he's lasted so long playing the same thinly fleshed out characters with a wink and a big grin of his where everyone sees him as a "diversity" enigma as part of the cast like a long standing janitor at a high school everyone likes but wonder if he will ever get a better paying job that he so deserves.

I don't think Kennan is quite the same as Tim Meadows where his supporting straight guy reacting to the stronger cast's characters wasn't as diverse and memorable. Kennan was and is more prolific in this sense due to his timing and speaking talents. And yeah, his characters aren't as believable or relateable mainly I think because there isn't a lot of characters his personality would shine in. Or maybe the writers have just given up. Kennan comes across as a professional actor more than a comedian much more than Tim Meadows.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  6. David Egan

David Egan Forum Resident

Ill take it on faith That LaVar Ball is some kind of actual person but Kenan usually makes me laugh no matter what. Someone deserves credit for the fact that the music is generally quite good, Murder Show was funny and catchy. Did every bit member the male mention?

Matthew Tate likes this.
  7. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

lavar ball once made some comment he could have beaten michael jordan one on one or some nonsense. he has 3 kids in or around the nba. he acts like they are the greatest ever. one son is not nba material. one is a pretty good role player and the other might be the 3rd option if he was on a good team.

Shawn likes this.
  8. aorecords

aorecords Forum Resident

I want to move to Carolasuss.

I thought this past episode was the best in a long while. Even the last two sketches were alright. They weren't as good as the rest of the show but still better than most everything else this season.

The boner song is rehashed territory but I thought it was funny. Maybe, I'm still twelve.

Spencer R and Matthew Tate like this.
  9. Here’s a clip of the real LaVar, you’ll hopefully appreciate Kenan’s take on him all the more:

Matthew Tate likes this.
  10. Paul J

Paul J Forum Resident

I DVR SNL every new show, and always struggle just to get to Weekend Update.

The recurring sophomoric sex humor, and thinly veiled political slants would be sat through if there was anything elsewhere in the episodes.

I consider myself centrist politically, that is, I hate everybody. But what was the purpose of Ted Cruz in the COVID Vaccine opening?

I keep reading members’ positive takes on skits, etc., and I get nothing.

Really, the Eddie Murphy episode a year ago was the last solid episode I recall, with a Mulaney or two a length behind.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  11. jpelg

jpelg Forum Resident

Workout Mirror bit was funny. I'm also continuously impressed with the musical numbers just from by their sheer production quality.

12. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

Month off. On a Fallon show last week Colin Jost hinted that quality dips a bit when they do 5-6 weeks in a row. They did that around the election and again at the start of the current administration. Jost also said there is very little social aspect backstage due to C19, which must be a 180 for cast used to after parties where things could get crazy.

Acts/labels/NBC(not sure which) are obviously bumping up their budget for a large number of eyeballs. Still way cheaper than mid 6 figure music videos in the 90's. Some Fallon/Kimmel music segments also seem to dropping money on nifty production, but it's mostly just acts that nobody over the age of 25 cares about.

13. tdcrjeff

tdcrjeff Senior Member

List of Saturday Night Live cast members - Wikipedia
    Kenan - 18 seasons
    Darrell Hammond - 14 seasons
    Seth Meyers - 13 seasons
    Fred Armisen - 11 seasons

Matthew Tate and Shawn like this.
  14. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

Man, Tim Meadows (10 seasons) is only in fifth place now (and he's tied with Kate McKinnon, who will bump him down to sixth if she comes back next year). It seemed like Meadows was the record holder for a long time but now he's sinking fast. People stick around (or are allowed to stick around) a lot longer now than in the old days. Besides Keenan and McKinnon, the current cast has Cecily Strong and Aidy Bryant (9 seasons) Beck Bennett, Kyle Mooney, and Colin Jost (8), and Michael Che and Pete Davidson (7). I remember when it was unusual for someone to go past 6 0r 7 years, and now it's half the cast.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2021
  15. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

Colin has been on camera for eight seasons but he’s worked for the show almost as long as Kenan — he was hired as a writer in 2005.

I was surprised to read this is Kate’s 10th season, but weirdly she joined the show in April of 2012 so she was only in five episodes of that first season.

czeskleba, Spencer R and Matthew Tate like this.
  16. Marry a Carrot

Marry a Carrot Interesting blues gets a convincing reading.

17. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

18. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

19. Atmospheric

Atmospheric Forum Resident

Man, I thought last night was absolutely wretched. Nothing was funny. Yeah, I expect the musical guest to suck and he did. Jeebus, how did any of this make it out of the writer's meetings? A new recent (and alltime) low. It's like nobody gives a ****.

SNL really needs to book the Black Pumas.

20. D-rock

D-rock Senior Member

Nick Jonas was the musical guest and he wasn't good. He usually always sounds good live.

21. Holerbot6000

Holerbot6000 Forum Resident

Beyonce Hot Wings was funny. Cheap laughs are still laughs.

22. aorecords

aorecords Forum Resident

That was probably the only decent sketch although I turned it off after update.

The musical guest was a joke.

OldSoul and Matthew Tate like this.
  23. DaveySR

DaveySR Forum Resident

Update is seriously undermined by the "guest" segments. We're down to a handful of news jokes now, and a lot more f***-all characters during the segment, though I did enjoy Strong as Sidney Powell this week.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  24. Yeah, that was a painfully bad episode. You know it’s gonna be rough when the opening sketch would typically be worthy of being broadcast only near the very end of the episode. After a few weeks off I was hoping for something better.

25. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

yeah last night was a train wreck

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.