The Mayans

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Chazro, Aug 30, 2018.

1. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident Thread Starter

Tellyawhat, I'm currently reading The Cartel, by Don Winslow. It's book 2 in his blockbuster series which includes the Power Of The Dog and The Border. As I was reading 'Dog' (Outstanding!) I came to the realization that the Sicario movies, Narcos, AND the Mayans ALL owe a heavy debt to Mr. Winslow as storylines in those projects were clearly 'borrowed' from him! Anyways, I very strongly recommend the books to anyone that digs Sicario, Narcos, and the Mayans!

sberger and TheSeldomSeenKid like this.
  2. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

Your welcome and this is what I’ve been saying since 2010 when I first discovered Don Winslow and read Power of The Dog.

TheSeldomSeenKid likes this.
  3. TheSeldomSeenKid

TheSeldomSeenKid Forum Resident

Matthew Tate and Brenald79 like this.
  4. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

The Power Of The Dog is on sale for only $2.47 on Amazon kindle. Deal of the century.

5. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

S03 starts 03-16-21

6. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

yup saw it on my DVR set and got hype

Scope J likes this.
  7. TheSeldomSeenKid

I was re-watching the 2nd Season last Fall, and the Episodes held up just as good on my 2nd viewing. I guess the question now is if The Mayans will remain as good for the 3rd Season with Sutter no longer the Showrunner?

Glad this Series is resuming in March, as should fill in the time with one TV Series that so far I love, until the start of the Final Season for Better Call Saul, which I think resumes this Fall.

I am still bent that Bryan Fuller, never was given the opportunity to complete his planned 6-7 Seasons for Hannibal, as it was a Top 5 Dramatic Series for me just based on the 3 Seasons he got to complete. I kept hoping he would secure a deal with a Streaming Service to complete 3-4 more Seasons(the main actors were interested if their schedules would allow them to be free during the same months/years needed for filming), as Hannibal was too dark to be an NBC Series. Apologies for going off topic, as just wanted to rant, since these are all Top 5 TV Series for me.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2021
    Matthew Tate likes this.
  8. dsdu

dsdu less serious minor pest

Anyone else watch the 1st 2 episodes of season three last night?

Matthew Tate likes this.
  9. TheSeldomSeenKid

Watched both of the episodes. Emily is getting really annoying(even worse than last season), and wish she would have gotten whacked along with her Mother ‘N Law at the end of the last season.

Disappointed there were no scenes yet with Lincoln Potter, but assume that will change soon.

Felipe looks lifeless and not sure how much of a future he has in this Series.

Coco-His Scenes are great, but that dude has taken a physical beating during this series(again at the end of the 2nd episode this season), and wonder if he lives past this 3rd Season, as he is a loose cannon?

Hope Adelita regains power now that she is free, as thought she was one of the better characters in this series prior to her capture.

Wonder if Alvarez ends up leaving his job with Miguel and rejoin The Mayans MC?

Also, miss the Song that was used during the Opening Credits the first 2 seasons and hopefully can pull it up on YouTube whenever I want to hear it in the future. Although, glad the snake was removed this year that used to start each section after the TV Advert Breaks, as I do not need to see any snakes.

Just a few of my general thoughts, as I do not wanna provide any details in case others, who are into this series, have not yet watched these first 2 episodes of season #3.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2021
    dsdu and Matthew Tate like this.
  10. Matthew Tate

yes

i also felt really bad for the miguel henchman that was a dad

11. dsdu

Rewatching The Mayans on the website FXnow as I kept on falling asleep during the commercials. Also the closed captions are much bigger than on the tv. I think from now on I'll just watch it the day after for free (as I have cable).
    vdka22466921

Matthew Tate likes this.
  12. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

With The Mayans and Snowfall FX has the best one two punch on tv in a long time.

sberger and marmalade166 like this.
  13. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

Great analysis. Agree with everything. Loved the first 2 episodes.

Hadn't rewatched last season, so I'm probably forgetting something obvious, but why is Bishop seemingly in some kind of funk/depression?

Also wonder how EZ taking a bigger role in the club is going to sit with other members, especially his brother.

I have a bad feeling about Emily's sister being in the house, and that family in general. Feeling really sorry for the kid.

14. Ignatius

Ignatius Forum Resident

Paco Rabanne, the French hellraiser.

15. dsdu

What a dark, dark episode.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  16. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

Damn!

Matthew Tate likes this.
  17. Matthew Tate

i hope it comes back for one more season

18. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

Puta madre!

19. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

Damn!

Matthew Tate likes this.
  20. Matthew Tate

yeah this episode was fire. odds of it getting a 4th season?

21. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

1000%

marmalade166 and Matthew Tate like this.
  22. ChazFromCali

ChazFromCali INTJ

I gave it a shot. I really did. What a steaming piece of s**t this show is. What's next? A Samoan biker gang show? A black biker gang show? A lesbian grandma biker gang show?

First episode started kinda slow. Olmos was right on time, OK I'll keep watching, then.....

Unlike S.O.A. it didn't even wait until the end of season 2 to get into soap opera territory, they started in episode two with the stolen baby gag. In S.O.A. that was the episode when I realized it was just a biker gang soap opera. Chasing baby Abel on the boat dock, was never the same for me after that. In Mayan's they went right to it, but pronto.

This show, my goodness, we have the weird sniper guy with the wayward daughter (Tig equivalent). The long haired Consigliere. Then we have Bishop, the Clay clone as club President (he's even shorter than the other guys, like Clay). The electronics guy, etc. etc. How original... not.

I'm supposed to care about a heroin smuggling partner of the Mexican drug cartel? lolol. I was watching and realized the guy (can't remember his name) who sold this to whatever network it's on, stole the network's money. ANOTHER biker Soap Opera? Sheesh. I realized that someone, some producer or creative guy trying to break into the biz with a TV show idea got crowded out by this (now) tired worn out piece of **** idea.

Remember that Michael Keaton movie about the guy who gets cloned several times and each new clone is dumber than the original or last copy? That's Mayan's in a nutshell, a clone even dumber than the original.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2021
  23. Matthew Tate

this is a pretty popular show by kurt sutter who has a 20 year history of hit shows.

Brenald79 likes this.
  24. ChazFromCali

ChazFromCali INTJ

I know.
    And that is sad.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  25. Matthew Tate

i think its pretty good. SOA was hamlet on harleys. this show is taken to the next level. i don't get even get why you asked why its all hispanic. this group was on SOA and so was an all black gang