Velvet Underground 2021 releases

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by hallucalation, Mar 18, 2021.

1. hallucalation

hallucalation Forum Resident Thread Starter

I just heard industry rumours that some interesting archival release(s) are coming. Besides.. here's what was hinted officially.

[​IMG]

mr.datsun, linklinc, C6H12O6 and 16 others like this.
  2. puddingdish

puddingdish Forum Resident

Is there anything conceivably left in the archives or that wasn't on the 45th anniversary boxes?

3. waterisnat

waterisnat Forum Resident

Thanks for the great news. Really hope that John Cale is actively involved and has mined whatever tapes he still has lying around.

4. hallucalation

Tons of early demos from Lou estate and John stash which probably would be included.

archives.nypl.org -- Lou Reed papers

5. ILovethebassclarinet

ILovethebassclarinet Forum Resident

While I don't know the answer to that, I have well-recorded boots, and have heard others, that are allegedly the VU, and sound nothing much like anything ever officially released by them.

6. ILovethebassclarinet

Wow... 'get ready for the deluge' it looks like...

linklinc likes this.
  7. hallucalation

I really hope it's not again 1969-1970 live tapes. Enough is enough.

Fullbug, sbardc, Flippikat and 7 others like this.
  8. ILovethebassclarinet

While I'd be OK with that, the things I was referring to seemed closer to LaMonte Young than 'a'60s rock band.' Later in the day, I can cite titles, FWIW.

linklinc likes this.
  9. hallucalation

I was referring to Universal plans. There's some odd live bits and pieces from Cale era that hasn't been released officially but quality isn't great.

ILovethebassclarinet likes this.
  10. MHP

MHP Lover of Rock ‘n Roll

Quite sure there are next to zero in the studio vaults. All other things; demos and live recordings, are fine for those who wants it.

Michael Macrone and phillyal1 like this.
  11. ILovethebassclarinet

I've no idea at all about the source/provenance of the things that I've heard, though some were of better sound quality than some of the 'official' releases even. They were boots, so maybe it's not actually the VU at all; one of them ends with an old country blues (not anyone from the VU, but a vintage recording) called (apparently) Bootlegger's Blues.
    And thanks again for the link to the NYPL data.

linklinc likes this.
  12. puddingdish

puddingdish Forum Resident

That's what I was assuming, and also that any live recordings that could be issued probably aren't of the greatest quality.

EwaWoowa likes this.
  13. hallucalation

Correct, all studio stuff had been mined exclusively for SDE editions. I guess they already had plans to save all other stuff for different releases.

linklinc, dee and MHP like this.
  14. Syscrusher

Syscrusher Forum Resident

The pandemic has really lowered the prospects of people traveling to NYC just to hear the Lou Reed Archive, I for one probably would have gone by now, and so it would be nice to see some of that work released or made available in some way. And they have already opened that up with the New York deluxe album last year. Cale would have to do an about-face for us to hear anything he has, but we've all been dreaming of that for decades now.
    There is also some indication of some Cale-era studio sessions from 1968 existing.
    There are also several mythological live shows that were reported to be recorded but lost. My theory is that all those lost tapes were actually taken and horded by Cale. Love to hear that Primitives rehearsal tape too.

15. MarkTWIC

MarkTWIC Forum Resident

I'm still hoping for the Joseph Freeman tapes from the final residency at Max's in 1970. I'd be up for anything from this era. Maybe an outdoor large concert from the Velvets - apparently they sounded very different - the only hope there would be Toronto 1969 - but there's no indication a good quality live exists. Apparently there was one very good concert recorded well and stolen straight after - chances of that being recovered is small.

I understand those who want more John Cale era, but you are at least getting a documentary which is likely to be almost entirely on that, I'm a much bigger fan of the Doug Yule era but still a Holy grail for me "What Goes On" live with John Cale playing organ.

Any new live concerts of any era in good quality are likely to be interesting. They didn't really repeat themselves.

16. Vangro

Vangro Forum Resident

I've got no problem with more live stuff from 1969-1970!

hhjack, oopap, AlienRendel and 16 others like this.
  17. hallucalation

Can you eleborate on this?

18. Syscrusher

Syscrusher Forum Resident

In the LRA there is a studio tape from July 68 that lists several songs from the post-Cale third album. No one is quite sure if that information is correct though so could be nothing. There is also an expert who says there’s a title from that same period called It’s Gonna Rain Tomorrow. Again speculation that it could be Hey Mr. Rain, but I don’t see how Mr Rain could get an alternate title unless it was completely different. I think there is also a rumoured different version of Sad Song somewhere.

19. hallucalation

That's a good news for sure. I really hope they do proper release of some of the most interesting demos they have. And put Heroin version from Pickwick era, please.

Meanwhile Ace Records also do their own release: What Goes On - The Songs Of Lou Reed

20. Just read the latest Uncut. There’s a Todd Haynes documentary coming to Apple TV in the summer. He said about the Lou Reed archives that “one hopes for masses of unreleased tapes and rehearsal recordings, but there wasn’t a great deal of that kind of thing”.

A footnote later states that “new Velvets releases from Verve/Universal are expected during the summer” but doesn’t elaborate.

21. asdf35

asdf35 Forum Resident

I hope the carpet gets stained by all the new releases, bring it all on

22. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

I’ve got a foggy notion that this well has run dry.

23. stepeanut

stepeanut The gloves are off

Do it again.

24. malcolm reynolds

malcolm reynolds Handsome, Humble, Genius

I just bought the four 45th Anniversary box sets and love them. VU being my favorite band and second favorite artist behind Dylan I am down for any and all future releases.

25. If nothing else, a reissue of The Complete Matrix Tapes would be welcome. The original didn’t hang around for long.