Buying a used SACD capable player-- the good or bad used?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Omarstringer, Mar 18, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Omarstringer

Omarstringer No One You’d Know Thread Starter

I'm mostly looking at Oppo's because I've owned an 83SE. My budget is $500. I'm scared of Sony because my last one lost its ability to read SACDs -- that said I've seen some deals for some under $500.

Any tips or guidance is well accepted. I can't afford new and this will be my first used player with SACD capabilities.

Bingo Bongo likes this.
  2. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

You could look at the 93, 95 or 103 in the $500 price range. The 95 would be more in line with the analog stage of the 83SE. I find the hifishark a good site when searching for specific components.

Used oppo blu ray for Sale | HifiShark.com

George P and Omarstringer like this.
  3. jimmydean

jimmydean Senior Member

i had good experience with Cambridge Audio Azur 751BD Player--- the cheapest used one which i found in my country (germany) was $ 600, so maybe a little bit out of budget...

Brother_Rael and Omarstringer like this.
  4. jhw59

jhw59 Forum Resident

Omarstringer likes this.
  5. Omarstringer

That’s what I’m hoping for. Hard to believe 83SE’s are going for $400+. Wish Oppo was still doing these but understand the market.

6. Omarstringer

Thanks forgot completely about HiFi Shark. Great search engine

7. Omarstringer

Anyone recall what the Oppo badged Lexicon was ? Thought a 93?

8. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

It was the Lexicon BD-30 and it was a rebadged Oppo 83. The only differences I believe between the two players were cosmetics. I'd avoid the Lexicon as Oppo at this time is still servicing players as far back as the 83. Don't know about Lexicon or if they'd still offer service for the BD-30. If they did I'd bet the costs for service would not be as fair as Oppo's service costs are.

Oppo on the Inside, Lexicon on the Outside

Omarstringer likes this.
  9. Dave Garrett

Dave Garrett Senior Member

Wow, I was not aware Oppo was still servicing players after their exit from the market, but sure enough, a bit of Googling quickly turned up the support page for Oppo Digital. I guess this was probably mentioned more than once in the Oppo thread over at the Visual Arts forum, but due to time constraints I haven't checked in there in quite some time. Definitely good to know as my 95 isn't getting any younger and I've wondered more than once about service options when parts start to wear out, even giving thought to stockpiling key spares that are likely to be unobtainable sooner rather than later (like the laser pickup assembly).

Omarstringer likes this.
  10. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

I’m really enjoying the do-it-all-ness of my Sony UBP 800. I just recently got it for $225.00 CAD, new, on Amazon.ca.

Omarstringer likes this.
  11. maui jim

maui jim Forum Resident

Love my 103

12. HiResGeek

HiResGeek Seer of visions

Can vouch for Oppo, I rarely use physical media anymore but when I do want to pop in an SACD or DVD-A, my Oppo BDP-93 is great. Had it for nine years, never had a single issue. They are built like tanks too when you compare them to cheapo brands like Sony.

13. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

Finding a 105 for $500 would take a bit of luck but not out of the question. Normally see 105s going for $700-$800. This thread might be better served over at the Audio Hardware sub forum.

Omarstringer and Super_Grover like this.
  14. Uglyversal

Uglyversal Forum Resident

By now all the Oppo players are getting very old. If anyone is happy to sell it is likely because they have early signs of skipping or other problems. In short you'll be paying for someone else's problems. I'll go for a new Sony anytime.

Brudr and hbbfam like this.
  15. guestuser

guestuser Chillin

You can definitely find good used deals, just make sure to buy it from someone who takes care of their gear or from a hifi dealer. Last year I snagged a used Marantz SA8005 for $700 on Craigslist and it’s been working great.

One tip for Craigslist shopping is that you can use Google to search *all* of Craigslist. If you just use Craigslist search feature, you have to search each city individually but Google let's you search every city all at once. This approach also lets you setup email alerts to notify you when new items are posted.

Searching:
    1. Go to Google.com
    2. Enter the following: SACD site:craigslist.org
    3. Voila! you are now searching all craigslist cities for SACD.
    Alerting:
    1. Go to Google.com/alerts
    2. In the 'create an alert about' field, enter the following: SACD site:craigslist.org
    3. Click 'show options'
    4. In the 'how often' field, select As-It-Happens
    5. Select or enter your email address
    6. Click Create Alert
    7. Now, whenever new SACD items are added to Craigslist you will get an email alert.

mafurman, Omarstringer and avanti1960 like this.
  16. Francois1968

Francois1968 Forum Resident

I'm still enjoying the Oppo BDP-83 and as long as it last I have no intention in replacing it. Well.......maybe if I encounter a not too expensive top of the tier model, that could change my mind.

Bill Mac likes this.
  17. Ignominious

Ignominious Knock and Know All!

There are plenty of very cheap old DVD players out there with SACD and DVD-A playback capabilities. I picked up a Pioneer DV-565A and a DV 656A for £2.29 and £0.99 respectively late last year on the Bay. A old remote for £8 (Vxx2800) which works with both players and I'm up and running. I'm just using the RCA connections into the back of my amp. The lack of HDMI output can resolved by buying a cheap adapter for <£10 from Amazon.

Dedicated SACD players are more expensive admittedly.

18. Swann36

Swann36 A widower finding solace in music

Does that play sacd ?

19. siebrand

siebrand music lover

should I decide to buy a used sacd player, I would never look to a brand like Oppo.

They have abandoned the sacd, they have abandoned the players in general.

If tomorrow you have a problem with an OPPO CDP_device, maybe you can find the technician who could solve the problem, and he would tell you ... "yes ... I found where the fault is.
    If you can find the spare part "abc123" I'll gladly replace it. Otherwise you can throw away your beautiful (???) CDP which also read the sacd".

Even with active manufacturers, it is sometimes difficult to find spare parts, let alone those who had left their customers by stopping the production of their entire CDP product line ...
    Stay away from OPPO...

George P likes this.
  20. shug4476

shug4476 Nullius In Verba

It depends how much you want to spend.

Like the other poster I got a Pioneer DV-565A for about $7. It is a very, very good player, especially in stereo. It really is absolutely silly money.

It also plays (flawlessly) my self-authored DVD-As from hi-res downloads. I use it as a transport with an offboard DAC.

I also own an Arcam DV-139, which I paid about $250 for, and is better still. The main value is its superb picture quality with SD-DVD. I also (!!) own a Denon DVD-2930, which I picked up for a good price (I can't remember how much, but it was a good price). Also a very solid bit of kit. Sounds surprisingly 'close' to the Arcam for SQ.

Oppo are very good. I would not pay the current prices. The 95, 105, 205, all fantastic if you can get a good price.

If you are really committed to SACD, try a Marantz or Sony dedicated spinner. I think Ayre also make (made?) excellent universal players.

21. cgnavarro

cgnavarro Member

A couples of years ago I was looking for a multiplayer for both SACD and BR UHD and I got a Pioneer UDP-LX500. Absolutely advisable!

shug4476 likes this.
  22. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

If I have a problem tomorrow with one of my Oppo players I'd send it to them for service as they are still servicing all of their Blu-ray players. You might want to check your facts before posting factually incorrect information. How long OT Services will continue to service Oppo players is anyone's guess. But if they closed up shop in the near future I'm fine with that.

From personal experience I've had minimal issues with Oppo players requiring service over the years. I can't say the same for Sony as every player (CD, DVD and SACD) I owned stopped reading discs. I've had years of satisfaction from the Oppo players I've owned. So if one by one those players stopped working in the future they owe me nothing.

So how many audio/video companies can you list who went out of business but established a service company to continue servicing the products they once sold? Oppo Digital announced in April 2018 that they would stop manufacturing new products. But they would continue to provide warranty repairs, out of warranty repairs and firmware updates. So it's close to three years since Oppo made that announcement. Not bad huh ;).

https://www.oppodigital.com/farewell.aspx#:~:text=As announced on April 2nd,will continue to be available.

23. siebrand

siebrand music lover

Well, what about ... there are those who trust, and those who DO NOT trust.
    i don't trust oppo.
    They closed a production department at any moment.

Right now, maybe you can still hope that they will repair (under warranty or not ...) the failures of their recent CDPs.
    But here, whoever opened the thread, declares that they want to buy a used CDP, probably, therefore, a fairly old device.
    And do you want to buy it from a company that has closed its department?
    OK ... they claim to want to repair their products anyway.
    I don't doubt it, but ... tomorrow ... their CDPs (and not only) from 6/7/8 years ago will fail ... who will supply the spare parts?

Mine, therefore, is just a thought, a very reasoned advice.
    It is by no means a field-by-area advice, just to be cool.

then, for heaven's sake ... everyone can think on their own ... or rather ... MUST do it ...

24. Sterling1

Sterling1 Forum Resident

There's so much here in conflict with facts: fact, OPPO did not abandon SACD, their players all have DACs which support output of stereo, as well as 5.1 SACD. The OPPO-205 is a delight to multi-channel SACD enthusiasts, and their service is first class.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.