'Tone Poet' Jazz Reissue Series*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by cds23, Dec 23, 2018.

1. Josquin des Prez

Josquin des Prez I have spoken!

Another good Freddie Redd with Jackie McLean is music from the play The Connection. I have the 80s EMI Pathe Marconi reissue. This would make for a good TP reissue candidate.

[​IMG]

Jcashfan, miq2son, ultron9 and 13 others like this.
  2. Stu02

Stu02 Forum Resident

Yes, love that one too. Good call.

3. Gabe Walters

Gabe Walters Forum Resident

An update on Dr. Lonnie Smith’s Breathe. It is not currently scheduled for a vinyl release. But never say never.

4. dastinger

dastinger Forum Resident

PSA: DVDMAX UK has Cornbread for ~£18 on Amazon UK. Only a few copies left.

Arknine, Dubmart and scotti like this.
  5. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Oh no, that would be two Jazz CDs in less than a month. After hearing how the 2 LP set of "Tone Poem" destroyed the CD version, needless to say, my CD buying days are over for good. I will cross my fingers for a vinyl release.

6. Kimiimacman

Kimiimacman Forum Resident

But they slap on a ‘against Amazon’s shipping rates policy’ £9.99 delivery charge. Should be £1.26

7. Josquin des Prez

I think the last CD I bought was Chick Corea's Trilogy about six years ago. I don't have a CD player in my hifi system, and I disconnected the cd drive for burning CDs from my Mac Mini long ago.

Breathe is available on Qobuz as a 24/96 stream. I have a Roon ROCK server on a NUC linked to my Qobuz account. That connects via ethernet to my network streamer, which is way better than any CD player I ever owned. I doubt I'll ever spend money on a CD again.

8. mackeyse

mackeyse Forum Resident

Chant also has the cool feature of being Teddy (Or Eddy) Robinson's few appearances. I found it pretty interesting that there isn't much out there about this guy. Even the back of the album notes he is a bit of a mystery. Showed up for some sessions, may be the same guy on a Miles Davis live album and poof nothing else? Wonder if he was even around to know the album got released 18 years after he was involved in the recording.

mktracy and scotti like this.
  9. Aeryn Sun

Aeryn Sun Forum Resident

Yes, that would be great one to have as a TP, the movie was on YT and I gave it a watch, interesting. But the album is hard to find and generally expensive.

10. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

The only really reason I still listen to them is that I have close to 20,000. Most are promos, but when I'm entertaining my dog in the afternoon, its more of a convenience thing. It allows to to hang in my backyard with some music playing since I have a walkout daylight basement. I still say that SACD, SHM's, and Japanese ones can sound pretty good. But let me be clear here, I'm a vinyl guy and will always be one. Once I wear out the recently purchased cartridge I got, I will upgrade my TT and most likely unload most of the CDs.

But back to some Jazz talk. Just spoke with the owner of my local store and got One Flight Up and Passing Ships preordered and got them for $25 and $35 per, so not bad prices. And I got the ASS titles of Gil Evans and Ray Charles placed as well at $25 per. Nice to see them keeping the prices decent. Back to back weeks of some awesome Jazz.

11. Josquin des Prez

Here is what I love about the streaming setup I have.

I have a Naim NDX2 streamerr/DAC source component in my main system, my office system is a Naim Atom integrated, and we have a Naim Mu-so QB2 all-in-one that we use in the bedroom and on the outdoor deck. Those are all Roon endpoints with the same streaming front-end, so I can stream the same thing to any or all of them, and if I am playing something and move from one system to the other, I can just switch the stream to the endpoint I want to hear. Easy-peasy lemon-squeezy. :)

Joti Cover, DeRosa, Spazros and 3 others like this.
  12. garrincha

garrincha Forum Resident

good deal! tenner shipping is a bit steep, mind

EDIT - this is obviously Brexit related and not a sleight on the seller

Last edited: Mar 19, 2021
  13. Petter Premberg

Petter Premberg Forum Resident

Yeah, £28 is a great price still. One of the very best of my TPs so far

garrincha likes this.
  14. Glenn coates

Glenn coates Forum Resident

Great idea,I have this LP but would love to hear it the Tonr Poet treatment.

15. Vinylfindco

Vinylfindco The Pressing Matters

Thanks for the update.

Gabe Walters likes this.
  16. Shpongle

Shpongle Forum Resident

As with quite a few of the Tone Poets, I have a wonderful mint King pressing of this album. Much as I love the Tone Poets I have, I can’t really justify having another pressing of this album. I’ve recently had a bit of a cull where I’ve got more than one copy of an album. Rather than play a slightly inferior pressing of an album keeping the best pressing mint, I’ve changed tack and now just play the best pressing.

Swann36, mktracy, Crazysteve and 2 others like this.
  17. Josquin des Prez

Shades of Redd won't be a Tone Poet, but Music From The Connection is definitely fair game.

18. Jeff Brocklebank

Jeff Brocklebank Forum Resident

I really like the couple Rocco DeLuca albumS I have, and also enjoy his work with Daniel Lanois.

mikemoon likes this.
  19. Stu02

Stu02 Forum Resident

I have often wondered about many music collectors habits and I am constantly surprised by the huge variety of ways we gain enjoyment from our music. But The concept of having a great sounding pressing but playing an inferior version is very confusing to me. Why did you do that? Not being judgemental just honestly very curious.

My take is very simple :
    1-Aquire a very good system to play records
    2-Aquire a very good pressing of music I like
    3-Play often

I dont have more then one copy of each lp except rare instances like A Love Supreme which will likely be played so often as to need a back up copy for when it is toast.

I dont spend any time looking for the pinnacle of audiophile mastering excellence. My system is forgiving enough that even Japanese Toshibas and dare I say it many 70s blue notes and green label Impulses are usually good enough for me :hide:

The Music Matters releases initially worried me as they do sound better then anything I was used to and I thought I would have to upgrade my standards of record buying but the thing is , once the music starts I usually get lost in it...

It may well be that a lot of you hear much more deeply into the audiophile aspects of the record and that feeds the quest to have multiple copies and constantly search for a slightly better sounding version . It may be that the chase for perfection is in of itself exciting. I get that but not playing a great sounding pressing that you own seemed an unusual habit no?

Edit; just occurred to me , is that because you are using your knowledge of records to create an investment that needs to be protected so you can sell for profit? If so fair game.

mikemoon, uzn007, aussievinyl and 8 others like this.
  20. Josquin des Prez

I understand where you come from and pretty much agree. I'm extremely fortunate that I've been able to acquire a dream system by saving, working hard and making it a priority, and that I can afford to buy the fancy, boutique reissues I want to acquire (within some reason). However, it's still the music that matters and I enjoy listening to many of my non-audiophile, standard records from the past as much as the newer fancy reissues. I don't chase and acquire all the repeat reissues. If I double dip on anything, it's the exception and for a special reason.

There are just some that get too absorbed playing music to listen to their system, rather than using their system to listen to music, and I think that can become a game with no happy conclusion.

21. Stu02

Stu02 Forum Resident

i find i like to understand what drives us in our passion. We are all often quite different and can seem odd to each other. The older I get I have come to the conclusion that I like people who have any passion and I would like to think (hope?)I much less judgmental about it. What really makes me leave a conversation or room or party are people with NO passions. Life is too short. I can be really confused about what drives peoples passions but when you get to the bottom of it there is often an interesting take.
    I once met a person at a bar who had a passion for earthworms. He had an insane knowledge about them. It was fascinating, honestly LOL

it is quite special when you first hear how great
    Recorded music can actually sound. It does not surprise me that the audiophile sound would in of itself be the holy grail . Its not me but I would be happy at a bar talking with such a person.

Aeryn Sun, mikemoon, miq2son and 10 others like this.
  22. beginthebegin

beginthebegin Harmonicat

Yeah, everyone has their own preference I think for sure. I think if you're dealing with multiple M/NM copies of reissues - say a King vs a Tone Poet - then yeah, I'd say take the best sounding one and get rid of the other. However, if you're dealing with OG copies (minty or not) and have a minty reissue... a great remastering might sound great, maybe "better" than the OG, but personally, I wouldn't get rid of the OG in most cases. Again, we're talking about 50's and 60's Blue Notes here... but I know that some people have sold their OGs after some of these reissues, so all the power to them, these TPs are pretty great.

mikemoon, mktracy, Aegir and 2 others like this.
  23. Josquin des Prez

Yeah, that's true. However, I've been in enough conversations that went on and on with someone about the merits of a recording, only to realize they never connected with the music and maybe didn't even give a **** about whether the music is good. The sound was what mattered. That's just not compelling or interesting to me.

mktracy, Kimiimacman, Spazros and 2 others like this.
  24. Stu02

Stu02 Forum Resident

Yes thats an interesting decision because I confess the history of owning an original or early press sways me sometimes even if it is noisy ... hypocritical i know.

edit: apologies for thread diversion, too much wine.

trd, Subagent and beginthebegin like this.
  25. Jeffrey Weiss

Jeffrey Weiss Forum Resident

Sorry folks, bad attempt at humor. Refer to 2019 Stanley Cup Champions.

BitterFishinCrudeOilSea and trd like this.