Buying a used SACD capable player-- the good or bad used?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Omarstringer, Mar 18, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I still own Oppo universal Blu-ray players, the 80, 83 and 93. All still work fine, no issues and I think buying a used Oppo Blu-ray player is a relatively safe bet if you buy from a reputable seller. My personal preference is we buy a new Sony player if a universal player is needed. The universal market is so tiny if we don't support Sony, Sony will exit the market as well. I own the UBP-X800 and UBP-X1000ES, both have been outstanding for my needs, connected by HDMI to an AVR.

2. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

The fact that you don't trust Oppo is fine with me. But you posted totally false information about getting Oppo players serviced. A simple Google search shows that Oppo (OT Services) is still servicing Oppo players back to the 83. Companies close and stop production all the time. It's what those companies do to support the products they sold that is important IMO.

Right now one doesn't have to "hope" that their Oppo Blu-ray player will get serviced. It WILL get serviced and the fees for that service are at a fixed rate. In other words depending on the player no matter what parts or amount of labor time required the repair cost is fixed. On top of that return shipping is also included in the repair fee. Do you know any company that repairs the players they produced at a fixed rate with return shipping included. Good luck with that ;).

I'm cool :). I just have issues here on SH when members like yourself post false information. By the way the OP started this thread looking for a player that plays SACDs not just a CD player ;).

3. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

You make a very valid point about the DACs in the 105 and 205. I have both and when the day comes and they stop playing discs both can be used as DACs for playing hi-res files from my ripped SACDs.
    I also believe buying a used Oppo player from a reputable seller is a safe bet. Good plan on buying the Sony 800 and 1100 to go along with the Oppo players. If the Sony 1100 drops a bit in price at Best Buy I might grab one to compare to the 205.

Omarstringer and MikeJedi like this.
  4. Swann36

Swann36 A widower finding solace in music

Thanks ...i don't think i've ever heard an SACD but i'm curious ...i do watch dvds and have a couple of blueray movies i didn't realise that universal player meant it played sacds too ...i use an old Xbox 1 (gift from the youngster when they'd done with it, not that i know much about how to use it beyond blue ray and tv watching netflix etc) for the blue rays films i have and a musical fidelity A5 for cds and a cyrus discmaster for dvds

5. siebrand

siebrand music lover

Ohh.. but that's OK
    You trust OPPO, I don't.
    My point is not that.
    it almost seems like you want to defend your OPPO. well, you do well. self-belief that you have the best devices is a habit of many audiophiles.

If you read my comments in this thread carefully, the problem I reported is not that OPPO no longer repairs its readers ...
    The problem is that ... if you buy an old (used) CDP ... the spare parts, after some years, they may no longer be available.

However, if you buy something from well-known brands that still manufacturers (Marantz, Yamaha, Denon, Pioneer and many others ...) you are on the safer side.
    I wish you a lot of happiness with your OPPOs, hoping they never break .... but never! :)

6. If you have a surround sound system, I would certainly recommend adding SACD capability. If only stereo, there are certainly many stereo SACDs but to my ears I think the same album, same mastering, the difference between SACD and CD isn't worth much.

A few years ago Sony started making universal players, Sony was only on the SACD side of the DVD-A v SACD format war previously. Today I would say a universal player must play CD, DVD-V, DVD-A, SACD, Blu-ray, and UHD 4K Blu-ray but I don't know if there is an official definition.

7. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I trust Oppo players due to owning many of them over the course of many years. It has absolutely nothing to do with being an "audiophile". If one owns a product no matter what it would be if they have long term success with it they trust that brand. It could be their vehicle, appliances and on and on. So my point is that it's about long term ownership reliability. Not if one is a "car nut" or what have you. It's really quite simple.

Of course I'm defending Oppo Digital and their players due to the success and pleasure I've had from owning their products. Also I'm defending them against your false statements. I did read your comments closely...
    There's no "maybe you can find a technician" or "if you can find the spare part" as once again I'll state that OT Services is STILL servicing Oppo Blu-ray players.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2021
    Omarstringer, MikeJedi and Sterling1 like this.
  8. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

Another Cambridge vote here. 7 years with my 752BD and still going strong.

Also Marantz SA7001-KI if you're happy with two channel.

ti-triodes and siebrand like this.
  9. Swann36

Swann36 A widower finding solace in music

Hi Chris, thanks for your thoughts, i'm only 2 channel these days, haven't had 5.1 system since around 2005 ...

10. Kal Rubinson

Kal Rubinson Senior Member

I think that is a remarkably optimistic perspective. Many/most of the parts are OEM from suppliers and may no longer be stocked or resourced. No different from Oppo, imho.

11. vlds8

vlds8 Forum Resident

So, now that analog output has been eliminated in this unit, how does it handle digital output via HDMI and coax for the various formats? As far as I remember, the older SACD/DVD-A machines would either kill the digital out or output a lesser resolution (part of their silly campaign to fight digital copying). Now, if I have this player, what kind of DAC do I need, and will the full resolution of the source pass through?

12. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

guestuser, Omarstringer and Bill Mac like this.
  13. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

The Digital Audio Out goes to my DacMagic, which RCAs to my amp. Solid.

14. vlds8

vlds8 Forum Resident

Thank you, which DacMagic do you have?

15. Sterling1

Sterling1 Forum Resident

Does digital out mean from coax or optical S/PDIF? That means no SACD at SACD resolution.

16. Tony V

Tony V Active Member

17. Uglyversal

Uglyversal Forum Resident

It's converted to PCM, you still get 24 bits and the SACD layer sounds a lot better than the CD layer on the same disc.

mikeyt likes this.
  18. Sterling1

Sterling1 Forum Resident

You do know that SACD is not output to coax except from a hand full of Sony Players; and, those players do not output full SACD resolution. Also, "a lot better" is a stretch.

19. Uglyversal

Since chemguy is talking specifically about the Sony UBP800 and I own several of those players, I think I am in a good position to talk about the matter.

20. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

Second gen, I think.

21. Sterling1

Sterling1 Forum Resident

Who said you are not in a good position to discuss?

22. Uglyversal

I have said that the SACD layer sounds a lot better than the CD and you are arguing it by telling me that my comment is a stretch. Have you actually tried to make a comparison in that player?

23. Sterling1

Sterling1 Forum Resident

I’m not arguing.

24. vlds8

vlds8 Forum Resident

OK then, $300 (US) more than the UBP-X800 gets you analog outs as well. Interestingly enough, Sony lists one audio amplifier in the components section, the TA-A1ES, which is a very simplified 5 analog input device. No digital of any kind, no phono, just 4 RCA line ins and one balanced XLR line in. I kind of like the idea, though I'm not sure it's worth two grand. Looks good in silver IMO.

TA-A1ES | Audio Systems | Sony US

25. Omarstringer

Omarstringer No One You’d Know Thread Starter

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.