USPS issues

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by larry333, Jun 30, 2020.

1. Gregalor

Gregalor Forum Resident

Good news, it was delivered today LMAO

zen archer likes this.
  2. Britt in VA

Britt in VA Forum Resident

In my opinion, USPS Priority has been fine for the most part. If you're paying for a premium service, it's still getting from place to place pretty efficiently. I wish sellers would get away from Media Mail until this all resolved. It's worth the extra five bucks to get your package to it's destination in a timely manner. Just build the price for priority into your selling price and explain why. Most buyers would prefer that, IMO.

PooreBoy, ScramMan2 and Gregalor like this.
  3. Beatles_Apple

Beatles_Apple Forum Resident

And yet, here we are, a month past the holidays and it’s gotten no better.

4. SJP

SJP Forum Resident

Sure it is. I just checked my outgoing eBays and things are flying through the system as would be expected. Most are upgraded to first class and other than those shipped in the last couple days, everything is delivered. One media mail is well on its way, hitting Florida in 5 days but still pending delivery. This is entirely normal.

I have an incoming media mail that should arrive today. If so, that's 8 days which again is not far off of what I would expect.

Heck, even a CD that shipped on 12/8 that got stuck...
    • Dec 11, 2020
    • 1:00pm
    • PROCESSED THROUGH USPS FACILITY
    • ANAHEIM, CA 92899
    Shows delivery yesterday...
    • Jan 22, 2021
    • 11:14am
    • DELIVERED IN/AT MAILBOX
    • XXX, OH 4XXXX
    This is one I expected to eat and would have been the only refund I'd have had to issue due to all of the postal issues. Never heard a peep from this buyer which led me to think that it might have been delivered but not scanned at any point at the end of the journey.

So despite some frustrations and concern, all turned out well. No complaints here. In fact, congrats to USPS for getting through this.

5. Beatles_Apple

Beatles_Apple Forum Resident

I’m waiting for 4 orders that haven’t moved locations since last week. One hasn’t moved since January 8th.

6. SJP

SJP Forum Resident

Sorry to hear that. Maybe I'm lucky. I'm luckier than most it seems when it comes to damaged jewel cases or vinyl from what I can tell.

Perhaps it is a local issue? Hard to tell your location, USA is such a large place.

7. Erik Tracy

Erik Tracy Meet me at the Green Dragon for an ale

I'm encountering some consternation with U P S.

Just made a purchase for some gear and the buyer submitted the box for shipment days ago, but the UPS site still shows no update and no estimate for delivery date.

USPS has been fine lately....for me.

8. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

You mean UPS did the initial scan and no updates? If there's no initial scan, I'd question whether the seller actually dropped it off.

9. Platterpus

Platterpus Senior Member

I know the mail system is backed up worldwide due to the virus and possibly other things. I have a package from a foreign country that took 3 months to get to my post office. Now it is sitting there and has been for 11 days. Should I just wait or do I need to do something like call the post office? I don't want to be rude or put the post office workers under more pressure than they already are. I'm just worried that they will send the package back to the seller. Or it will get stolen or lost. Has anyone had this happen to them before?

10. rob68

rob68 Senior Member

You can fill out a Missing Mail form on the USPS website that will get forwarded to the post office in your city.

Missing Mail and Lost Packages | USPS

Go to number 2 - Complete a Help Request Form

Click Start Your Form then click Where Is My Package then fill out the rest.

It helps if you have the tracking number but it's not necessary to complete the form.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2021
    Platterpus likes this.
  11. Platterpus

Platterpus Senior Member

Thanks Rob.

12. spencer1

spencer1 Great Western Forum Resident

My wife has been a letter carrier for 39 years, here’s some insight -

It’s a perfect storm to mess with your delivery.
    At her smallish Post Office seven carriers have been out with Covid, this is everywhere so there are no replacements.

Most Christmas shopping was done online, more than ever before and the increase in parcels was unbelievable.
    She now makes a parcel run first thing in the morning, goes back and loads up for her regular route with even more parcels. This has never happened before.

Besides Holiday packages she is delivering everything from water(!) to dog food to diapers to gardening supplies and yes our little cardboard LP shippers.

When UPS reaches capacity they stop taking parcels and it all goes to the Post Office adding to the load and in addition to that the USPS completes deliveries for UPS and FedEx in the many areas they don’t go.
    UPS and FedEx are the USPS’ biggest customers.

The current Postmaster appointed by the recently departed last president has eliminated overtime and given a directive that whatever you don’t deliver in the allotted time goes back to the office and gets pushed to the next day causing a domino effect pushing all deliveries further down the line.
    There has been pushback against this idiotic policy by local post offices, a few successful, most not.
    A perfect storm.

I had a couple LP’s from Newbury Comics hung up and just sitting at a hub in Boston for three weeks not moving. Very frustrating but I know the score. As long as it shows up on tracking it hasn’t been lost it’s just stuck.

The carriers have been out there every day during the Pandemic at risk and doing their jobs.

Whenever somebody complains about the Post Office I’ve got two words for them and they aren’t “Merry Christmas”.

Alan G, Jrr, SJP and 1 other person like this.
  13. Platterpus

Platterpus Senior Member

Almost a week ago, I filed a "where's my package" form on the USPS website. Tracking showed my package arrived and departed from St. Paul, MN USPS facility and on the following day it hit the Minneapolis distribution center and went on to the Minneapolis USPS facility and then to the Minneapolis Post Office. There have been no further updates on the tracking, so it has been sitting there for over 15 days. I was contacted by a USPS employee a couple days later and that person said it could not be located. I have no recourse since the company I bought it from, I assume they did not insure it.

Has this happened to anyone here? Was my package stolen or lost? Is there anything else I can do to try and locate the package?

This alert has been posted the whole time my package was in the mail system:

Alert: USPS is experiencing unprecedented volume increases and limited employee availability due to the impacts of COVID-19. We appreciate your patience.

Is it possible that the package may still be sitting there and it just needs to be found by someone? Otherwise my guess is that it was stolen. Is the USPS swarmed with that many parcels and mail that they may have not gotten to it or forgot about it? Has anyone else had this happen to them and then maybe weeks later it was delivered?

I'm just hoping it will show up eventually but I'm not counting on it. I just think it was stolen or lost.

14. sharedon

sharedon Forum Zonophone

I'm in a major urban area, get at most 3 to 4 mail deliveries a week since November. But I understand all the impacts on the USPS, so am being patient. Had to change mail delivery of meds and most bills to other means, tho.

15. Joseph.McClure

Joseph.McClure Forum Resident

I just completed this form for 11 missing packages - does anyone actually follow-up on these requests? I'm guessing not cause....USPS.

16. giantleech

giantleech Lord of all fevers and plagues

Two words, you say. Is it...

- "You're right."?

- "So true."?

- "True dat."?

- "Oy Vey!"?

- "Wokka Wokka."?

slipkid likes this.
  17. R. Totale

R. Totale The Voice of Reason

I put one in, it was closed two days later without explanation. I got torqued and called the 1-800-ASK-USPS line as the guy at my PO suggested. Finally got through to a human who looked at the first package case and said it was closed with the notation "Called office. No answer". I insisted she reopen it, which she did - I got an email saying it had been moved to priority status. Got another email a few days later which said my package could not be located, saying its last scan was actually one step before where the tracking showed it was last scanned. I folded and gave the guy his dough back.

slipkid likes this.
  18. Combination

Combination Forum Resident

If this happens to you again (hopefully it doesn't), place a call to the Consumer Affairs division in your area, instead of that 800 number. I'm surprised that the people at your local post office didn't suggest that in the first place.

slipkid likes this.
  19. rjh_54

rjh_54 Well-Known Member

Two weeks ago I shipped out items to buyers via First Class. One in California, one in Texas and one in Illinois.

The items shipped to CA arrived within days. The Illinois and Texas shipments both arrived to their buyers today. Already got one feedback complaining that the package took two weeks to get to them :rolleyes: I messaged them and noted that I shipped their item out the next day and that in the future they should be mindful of the current state of the USPS, which is out of our hands as sellers. Hopefully the buyer from Illinois is more understanding.

sennj and slipkid like this.
  20. Joseph.McClure

Joseph.McClure Forum Resident

fyi...all 11 requests were closed with no explanation. Real nice. Great operation they got going there....

21. SJP

SJP Forum Resident

That is some extraordinarily rotten luck. I've come through the pandemic and all of the USPS shipping woes with a few pretty epic late packages but nothing has disappeared.

22. ScramMan2

ScramMan2 Forum Resident

The Biden administration is acting on revising the Postal Board of Governors to rectify the situation. In other words, the cause of the mess will be on the way out. I've never seen it this bad in over 30 years of doing direct mail and working closely with the USPS.

23. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Yeah, the USPS is a complete mess this year thx to the new head of it being charged with destroying it last year (he did a great job). Just some of the changes/why the mess are above (a big one is the dismantling of hi-speed sorters). I won't go into the why's because although 100% true this will get branded as "politics".

EVERY single bill that I have tried to pay by check via first class mail in the past 3 months has taken 7-8times LONGER than they used to get to their destination, regardless of how near or how far (far is especially bad though). I'm talking first class envelopes. Mortgage, Home Owner's Association, Credit Card, Electric, car insurance, you name it. Causing me quite a number of hardships and multiple messes to deal with.

I have been forced at this point to either pay over the phone with bank ACH transfer, pay in person, or on-line. I've complained to my congresswoman about it. It is a lot easier to destroy something than fix it though.

24. lv70smusic

lv70smusic Senior Member

I'm still waiting for a first class letter that was mailed to me from 10 miles away about two months ago.

25. krisjay

krisjay Psychedelic Wave Rider

Priority doesn't assure anything really, my order should have arrived today. Checked Informed Delivery and it has left Maine(where it was last night) and is now in Vermont. Sadly I live in Maine. This certainly isn't covid related, just USPS being USPS.

sennj likes this.