Velvet Underground 2021 releases

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by hallucalation, Mar 18, 2021.

1. notesfrom

notesfrom Forum Resident

That’s half the band’s life, with Lou.
    ‘After Epstein died, the Beatles broke up.’

2. ralphb

ralphb "First they came for..."

Me too. If anyone can do this right, it's Haynes.

3. millbend

millbend Forum Resident

Heresy and sacrilege I know, but what I most want still released is a decent digital mastering of Squeeze from the masters (or safeties, or whatever the best extant tape sources). The only CD release has been a 2012 pirate/grey-market/unlicensed release on Kismet that is a needledrop!

ILovethebassclarinet likes this.
  4. lschwart

lschwart Senior Member

What's the story with the recordings from The Cole in Dallas Wouldn't a proper release of those make a good companion to a reissue of the Matrix set?

L.

5. The Elephant Man

The Elephant Man Forum Resident

Both nights from End Of Cole have been released as boots (as you know) and yes, they do make a fine companion
    to the Matrix set.

lschwart and DeeThomaz like this.
  6. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

New Uncut VU & Nico cover ( see avatar).
    Great 15 pages article. Well worth getting if your a VU fan.

Hep Alien and DeeThomaz like this.
  7. ILovethebassclarinet

ILovethebassclarinet Forum Resident

Upbeat the Cleveland show?
    Lots of others were on that show; I remember watching it erratically here in Michigan.

8. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

I've enjoyed a lot of Todd Haynes' movies, especially Far from Heaven and his HBO Mildred Pierce. I'm Not There too, though I much say, I've never wound up watching that a second time. Has he ever made a documentary before? Do we know who is writing this? I understand Apple TV has the rights, so it'll probably be years before I wind up seeing it, or at least if and when its made available on a single title pay per view basis as I'm not an Apple TV subscriber and I'm looking actually to cut down on the video subscriptions I currently have, not add to them.

9. stepeanut

stepeanut The gloves are off

His version of Mildred Pierce was excellent, but I hated his rock films — Karen Carpenter, Bowie, Dylan — with the fire of a million suns. I now fear seeing his name attached to any musical/biographical project, as my experience tells me it’ll have everything to do with his own twisted fantasies and precious little to do with reality. Just one man’s opinion, take it or leave it.

Dark Horse 77 and musicaner like this.
  10. Vangro

Vangro Forum Resident

It's Warhol, Lou Reed and the whole crew, how twisted could his fantasies be?

Maggie likes this.
  11. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

I thought I'm Not There was great. I was kind of the Dylan fantasia that lives in the head of hardcore Dylan fanatics. I walk out of that dizzy with glee and thinking, here finally was a movie for us. But I haven't ever gone back to watch it a second time. And of course in no way was it a documentary, unlike this VU movie. I've watched Mildred Pierce more than that and Far From Heaven a lot more than that, which is where I got on the train. Carol I enjoyed but also never watched a second time. I haven't seen Velvet Goldmine or Superstar. Maybe someday. My interest in movies has waned a lot in recent years so, maybe not. I worry about documentaries generally. They often wind up being not great movies and not great journalism, and because of the nature of movie story telling, 2 hours of a documentary can cover about as much material as a magazine article, not a book, so they tend to be kind of superficial. That's why I wonder who is writing this. But Hanyes is so visually creative and so invested in the romance of period film look and texture that I'm curious about what he does visually in a documentary context.

C6H12O6 likes this.
  12. notesfrom

notesfrom Forum Resident

Cleveland, yes.

13. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

Unlike Goldmine and I'm Not There, it's a documentary. And I doubt he used plastic Barbie dolls for this one (we could only hope he might have). Sounds like it's going to be a series of interviews with I would guess what few clips there are of the band. And as far as I can see he's never made a documentary before. So, what Haynes brings to it as a film-maker we can only guess. I'm disappointed that Apple TV have got hold of it. That rules me out until it escapes onto the internet or ends up on DVD. The potential of new releases is much more exciting.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2021
    Hep Alien, ralphb and Maggie like this.
  14. MGSeveral

MGSeveral Augm

Can I just add that Jonathan Richman's article is excellent and he could write a book that would be fine.

DTK and dlemaudit like this.
  15. ralphb

ralphb "First they came for..."

:laugh:I think Richard Carpenter taught him a lesson on that one.
    He's a huge fan of the band, so that should work in the docs favor.
    I'm in the same boat as you, I'll have to wait until it shows up elsewhere. I'm surprised it wound up on Apple as he's worked with HBO before.

Hep Alien and mr.datsun like this.
  16. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

He said nice things about John Cale ( his producer), also equally good things about Doug Yule.

notesfrom and mr.datsun like this.
  17. ooan

ooan Forum Resident

I would just like to give a mention to the South Bank Show ( Melvyn Bragg title ) VU documentary shown here in Scotland many years ago !
    It was good !

polchik and Rob Byrne like this.
  18. MGSeveral

MGSeveral Augm

Yeah, I have it on VHS taped, in the loft. I don't have a player, but.

It used to be on YouTube (might still be), but chunks were missing.

19. RAZORMADE

RAZORMADE I crawled out from the bottom in the dark...

20. mtruslow

mtruslow Forum Resident

Is this including any remasters of the albums? Or is this other unearthed other stuff?

21. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

I still have it on VHS. But no working VHS player :)

22. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

I kind of think they've remastered the albums more often than they needed it. But who knows. However, really they cannot hope to get any more excitement over remasters of remasters of remasters at this time. So let's hope for more. The boss of the Lou Reed archive said right at the start that this stuff would be coming out but that it would take time to sort out licensing. I presume that this is what is happening now. And I do hope Cale was able to chip something in too.

Having said that, I just don't want to get my hopes up at this point. I wish they had not said anything in Uncut. I'd rather have a nice surprise closer to the actual date.

Hep Alien likes this.
  23. mtruslow

mtruslow Forum Resident

I'm wondering how much could be done to those old tapes to make them sound any better.

24. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

I don't actually know that story. Was he upset? But I have just found a copy of the film in question and it looks good!

Last edited: Mar 20, 2021
    ralphb likes this.
  25. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

I think they sound as good as they ever will.