Does anyone still buy and collect DVDs?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by php111, Sep 25, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. clhboa

clhboa Forum Resident

Glad you were able to grab a few things. Here was my haul...

Gomer Pyle Season 1
    I Love Lucy Seasons 1-5
    I Love Lucy Seasons 7, 8, 9
    Andy Griffith Season 1
    Andy Griffith Season 8
    Petticoat Junction Season 1-3
    Have Gun Will Travel Seasons 1-4
    The Fugitive Season 1 Vol. 1
    Rawhide Season 5 Vol. 1
    The Untouchables Seasons 1-3
    The Lucy Show Season 1
    Mork + Mindy Season 2
    Hogan's Heroes Season 1
    Bonanza Season 8 Vol. 1
    Bonanza Season 7 Vol. 1
    Bonanza Season 6 Vol. 1
    Bonanza Season 5 Vol. 1
    Gene Autry Show Season 5
    Mannix Season 1
    Bosom Buddies Season 1
    Dr. Katz Professional Therapist Season 2

And then I got two movies...

That's My Boy Blu-Ray
    Head Of State

Grand_Ennui likes this.
  2. Grand_Ennui

Grand_Ennui Forum Resident

I find those "half season" releases extremely annoying. Just release the whole season at once and be done with it.

Pizza, audiomixer, 905 and 1 other person like this.
  3. Rachael Bee

Rachael Bee Miembra muy loca

I concur with your sentiments. That being said, let's go take a look into the other end of the telescope. I suspect that the half season marketing is about releasing product in the cheapest, readily available packaging. If they want to put large numbers of discs in a single box, it might entail ordering special, made to order boxes that hold a large number of discs. That's my guess about the why.

BILLONEEG, clhboa and Grand_Ennui like this.
  4. Boomy

Boomy Senior Member

I have been on a break of buying DVDs, Blurays for a while now. Mainly because we are working on our basement, turning one area into a music/entertainment room and another space into a craft room. I will probably go back to buying when I get a set-up going because I don't want to put them randomly in another storage slot. I already had to move my CDs and LPs for that and I don't feel like adding movies to it right now (even though I have made some music purchases, so there goes that!).

5. clhboa

clhboa Forum Resident

I don't care for it either.

My Wife went to another Big Lots and got me some more Bonanza, Rawhide, Mork + Mindy and The Streets Of San Francisco.

Grand_Ennui likes this.
  6. BILLONEEG

BILLONEEG Senior Member

Today's purchase: Adaptation / Bicentennial Man / Peggy Sue Got Married / Three Men & A Baby / Tootsie / Tuxedo,
    The. $4.99 each with a "Buy 2 get 1 free" deal.
    [​IMG]

rikki nadir likes this.
  7. BILLONEEG

BILLONEEG Senior Member

I totally agree! Not only is it annoying because they're split in two, it's also annoying having to stock two separate boxes. It actually convinces me to wait for the full series box.

Grand_Ennui likes this.
  8. Grand_Ennui

That's something that was in stock in a fair amount.

clhboa likes this.
  9. Grand_Ennui

What @Rachael Bee said makes sense as far as what may be going thru the marketing department's heads when they decide how they're going to sell them, but that's from their money making point of view...

However, I own some titles that have entire seasons sold in one package, and they're hour shows too... "Gunsmoke" which I collected went with selling the split seasons, but toward the end, I think the last three seasons, they had the complete season(s) in one package.
    And another series that had one hour episodes that I own, "Alien-Nation", also had the complete run in one package, and I own others...

Even a "newer" show like Fox TV's "24", I seen that at the thrift store today and it had the whole season in one box, so it *can* be done that way... They just want to milk it for all it's worth in some cases :)

10. Jerry Horne

Jerry Horne WYWH (1975-2025)

I just purchased ‘Kansas City Bomber’ on DVD as I was tired of waiting for a Blu-Ray.

Mr. Even B likes this.
  11. jason88cubs

jason88cubs Forum Resident

just bought 10 movies for 27.00 at mega replay

A Perfect Murder, Fatal Attraction, Once Upon a Time in Th e West, Eraser, Joe Kidd, Gone With The Wind, Final Destination 2,Silverado,Derailed and Rear Window

audiomixer likes this.
  12. Sgt. Abbey Road

Sgt. Abbey Road Forum Resident

Unfortunately not, but I buy Blu Rays and LaserDiscs (I know it’s silly:sigh:)

13. Doghouse Riley

Doghouse Riley Forum Resident

The last DVD I bought and it was a quite a few years ago, was the box set of "Justified."

"I do miss Winona."

Alan57, Jazzmonkie and jason88cubs like this.
  14. Rachael Bee

I bought a copy of All The Way Home on DVD. It's a good movie but the disc is a contender for worst looking DVD ever.

15. Rachael Bee

There's still movies where the best format available is Laserdisc. Framed Laserdiscs make good wall art, if it comes to that.

16. mdm08033

mdm08033 Senior Member

I understand. Lossy audio was the most disappointing aspect of DVD.

Sgt. Abbey Road likes this.
  17. aussievinyl

aussievinyl Appreciator Of Creative Expression

We have an Australian label called Umbrella who have been around a while. I’ve started collecting their titles when I see them cheap.

I saw that others also collect them and their releases cover music, horror, Westerns, indie films, weird cult stuff and obscure Australian films/ TV series.

They often don’t have subtitles though - how much do subtitles cost, I wonder sometimes...they’re very helpful for late night viewing.

I need headphones that connect to a TV via Bluetooth but they are not always easy to connect together.

18. BDC

BDC Forum Resident

I don't actively or intentionally really collect DVD's, but I do still buy a few every year. My old machine keeps on working and when it quits I'll look to get another capable of playing both DVD and Blu Ray. I own a total of one Blu Ray disc but more than 200 DVD's.. I'm satisfied with the DVD format for the most part.

ILovethebassclarinet likes this.
  19. Al Kuenster

Al Kuenster Senior Member

I bought two used DVDs Breakdown and The Relic

jason88cubs likes this.
  20. geetar_await

geetar_await I heart Linux.

I have a couple DVD sets, but stopped buying more physical discs in anticipation of my player breaking down.

21. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

Yes if at the right price.
    This week happened to pick up the following:

Crossroads 2 DVD Set $2
    Kerouac film & 2 x Monty Python $1 for all 3
    Salt $1

ILovethebassclarinet likes this.
  22. NickySee

NickySee Forum Resident

Just bought a 21 disc set of the late James Levine conducted operas, a Facets label edition of Lady with the Little Dog, The History Channel's multi-DVD set, Mysteries of the Bible and the Tim Curry mini-series, Will Shakespeare. So yeah, still into DVDs.

23. ILovethebassclarinet

ILovethebassclarinet Forum Resident

Here in central Michigan, those are the kinds of shows found on the secondary channels of the local over the air broadcast stations...

I still buy and collect DVDs, (even VHS), both music and movies, but they have to be cheap ($2-4 range mostly) and I have to admit that I'm way behind in keeping up with watching what I own on DVD.

24. Grand_Ennui

That is true of the substations here as well, however, I still buy "TV on DVD" collections of shows I like because even though I like to see the substations rebroadcasting this stuff, they're pretty much all showing the edited for commercial time versions of the shows, and I prefer complete (uncut) stuff whenever possible.

I'm quite behind on my DVD viewing as well, but when I'm out thrifting, if I find something cheap, I'll still buy it to add to the collection.

25. Jord

Jord Forum Resident

I think now is a great time to buy series boxes of shows you like on DVD. They're honestly very cheap nowadays (Bought the entire series box of Golden Girls for $37. That is a lot of content considering it's 7 seasons) and they won't be available forever due to the streaming wars.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.