Japanese film recommendations please

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Todber, Oct 20, 2008.

1. Jazzmonkie

Jazzmonkie Forum Resident

I bought this last week. Great set. This week there is a coupon code on the product page offering an additional 20% Off. It was 10% when I ordered mine.

yasujiro likes this.
  2. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

I have just scored Red Sun on R2 DVD issued by StudioCanal.

Hawkman likes this.
  3. BradOlson

BTW, apparently the DVD you bought that claimed "Digitally Remastered" is product for sale targeting the Hong Kong market and has unremovable subtitles. The DVD to get is the R2 restored release.

https://www.amazon.com/Red-Sun-DVD-Charles-Bronson/dp/B013JZW7ZI/

4. Leepal

Leepal Forum Resident

Not sure if "Fish Story" has been mentioned. One of my favourite films.

Halfwit likes this.
  5. Halfwit

Halfwit Forum Resident

So many great releases from Third Window Films. This is also one of my favourites, along with Fine, Totally Fine & Funuke, Show Some Love You Losers

6. LA2019

LA2019 Forum Resident

Stumbled upon these two at my library. Both excellent films!

[​IMG]

PhantomStranger likes this.
  7. Harmonium didn't get a Blu-ray release, but I thought its tragic and wrenching tale was gripping. There are good reasons why it won a Jury Prize at Cannes.

Harmonium Review - DoBlu.com

After The Storm is a decidedly less intense movie, but fine entertainment. It did hit Blu-ray from Film Movement.

After the Storm Blu-ray Review - DoBlu.com

Satoshi Kon's Perfect Blue hits Blu-ray next week. The dark anime psycho-drama remains one of the best Japanese films from the 1990s.

Perfect Blue Blu-ray Review - DoBlu.com

8. stepeanut

stepeanut The gloves are off

Harmonium is available on BD from Eureka, as part of their Masters of Cinema range:

Harmonium Blu-ray

After the Storm is a lovely little film by Hirokazu Kore-eda. As well as the BD release you mention, it has also been released by Arrow, both individually and as part of their extra-loaded Family Values box set. I can heartily recommend the latter:

Family Values: Three Films by Hirokazu Kore-eda Blu-ray

Standard disclaimer for the regionally crippled: yes, these are locked to Region B.

9. LA2019

LA2019 Forum Resident

I enjoyed this one. Quirky comedy.

[​IMG]

10. MC Rag

MC Rag Forum Resident

Of Flesh and Blood: The Cinema of Hirokazu Kore-eda - BFI Blu-Ray Box Set coming in July - includes Maborosi, After Life, Nobody Knows & Still Walking.

polchik likes this.
  11. Giacomo Belbo likes this.
  12. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

Giacomo Belbo likes this.
  13. LA2019

LA2019 Forum Resident

Beyond Outrage. Stumbled upon this gem. Unfortunately, didn't know there was a previous film (Outrage). Got the first on order from my library.

[​IMG]

14. stepeanut

Nice to see this thread revived.

My latest Japanese cinema purchase is Hiroshi Teshigahara’s 1984 documentary film Antonio Gaudí. It is a long way from his sixties classics (Pitfall, Woman in the Dunes, The Face of Another), but I enjoyed hugely this lyrical vision of Gaudí’s architectural masterpieces.

[​IMG]

woody, MC Rag, LA2019 and 2 others like this.
  15. stepeanut

Shohei Imamura’s Black Rain is coming to BD from Arrow. I received this postcard along with the new Alejandro Jodorowsky box set:

[​IMG]

woody, LA2019, johnnyyen and 5 others like this.
  16. Mr Bass

Mr Bass Chevelle Ma Belle

Now on BluRay. Excellent movie, good script. Everyone of this big star cast does an excellent job.

[​IMG]

Danny Coffin likes this.
  17. BradOlson

The Japanese Blu-Ray, as pictured here, is Region Free while the UK Blu-Ray is Region locked unless you have a Blu-Ray player that is region free.

Danny Coffin and Mr Bass like this.
  18. BradOlson

Danny Coffin likes this.
  19. Rubberpigg

Rubberpigg Senior Member

Our Little Sister (2015)
    8/10

There are some negative reviews of the movie: "Amazingly boring", "Nothing happens" and "A horribly pointless and slow drama".
    And I do get it.
    It is slow and not much does happen, to be honest.
    But I really enjoyed it and found it quite touching.
    This movie is 128 minutes long and it flew by for me.
    Great movie.

[​IMG]

LA2019, vivresavie and Jazzmonkie like this.
  20. stepeanut

Not sure if you’ve seen any of Kore-eda’s other films, but, personally speaking, I found this a little saccharine compared with his previous efforts. It is still a very good film, mind.

Quiet, family dramas are what Kore-eda does — he’s often compared with Ozu in that respect — so anyone approaching his work expecting plot-driven action sequences is going to come away disappointed. For me, he’s probably the finest Japanese director working today.

Rubberpigg likes this.
  21. cdcollector87

cdcollector87 Forum Resident

22. Rubberpigg

Rubberpigg Senior Member

I did see "Still Walking" a few years back which I do think is better than "Our Little Sister".

stepeanut likes this.
  23. cdcollector87

cdcollector87 Forum Resident

24. acemachine26

acemachine26 Forum Resident

The Inugami Family (1976)
    I loved the OST so much that I watched the film this week. Absolutely loved it! The 2.5 hours went by so quickly. It didn't feel dated at all (partly because it was digitally restored last year). The effects used for flashbacks were so cool. One of the best mystery / crime films I've ever seen

[​IMG]

yasujiro and LA2019 like this.
  25. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member