Finished Deadwood, Lost, Mad Men.. What's next?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by alexpop, Jan 2, 2014.

1. Thank you very much! :) I don't think I'd be into this, however. The actors all look a little bit "too cast" of you know what I mean, like Sons of Anarchy, which I didn't like at all. The actors all look a little too Hollywood, yet scuffed up, though scruffy in an equally Hollywood way, where it's too apparent that it was done in a makeup room.

I don't know what changed in me, but things like that, where I once didn't notice, are now all that I notice. It takes me out of the game.

An example, to me, of great casting is Better Call Saul. Most of the actors look like normal Joes. And if they don't, they have some flaw, like Kim with her husky voice, or Howard Hamlin with that Dirk Dastardly jaw.

But I don't know. I'm too stoned right now. I think I'll go put on Chicago II and see if I can melt this off. :D

Panama Hotel and Scotian like this.
  2. maui jim

maui jim Forum Resident

Have tried Berlin Station? Quite good. Ala Homeland, which I did not see on your list that I can recommend

EVOLVIST likes this.
  3. Hey, that Berlin Station looks pretty tantalizing from what I saw in the 2016 trailer. I'm giving that a go next weekend. :D

maui jim likes this.
  4. JimW

JimW In the Process of Becoming

US. I've never seen the UK version, which I know is the original.

alexpop likes this.
  5. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits.... Thread Starter

Guess it’s the one you’ve seen first ala The Office. Though even a few North American’s here seem to prefer the UKs Mad Dogs.

6. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Is that the original German TV sub drama from the 80's, or the film from the same timeperiod (made up of the series but edited) or a NEW version redone for TV???

7. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

I talked about Dark earlier in the thread, it is a very difficult watch, the opposite of popcorn TV/movies.

Extremely convoluted time travel/extra dimensional twisted tale with character arcs across at least three different time periods played by different actors as we see the characters as children, young adults, grownups, old people, all in German with subtitles played by actors largely unfamiliar to us (at least me), extremely hard to keep straight all the story arcs and who is who, with many stories/characters/plots seemingly beyond explanation or going against the "laws" set down by the story as I understood it in the first place.

But I found the payoffs to be worth all of the effort trying to watch it. When I saw the first season I had to make notes with questions about each episode, then watch each episode at least one more time b4 moving on to the next one, then after S1 go back and watch the whole thing again b4 starting S2. Found it starting to make at least some sense in S2 & easier to keep track of who was who but still confusing as heck. Then hit us with a curveball at the end of S2 to make it even more complicated/confusing!

I don't think most people want to put in all that work just to watch a TV show....so maybe that is why you stopped...like I said though I found it worth watching through to the end.

Stencil, EVOLVIST and alexpop like this.
  8. Scotian

Scotian Amnesia Hazed

I think most of the series episodes are on YouTube. They made two movies after the series ended that aren't as funny but still entertaining.

9. Scotian

Scotian Amnesia Hazed

This looks promising. I think I'll start this one next.

TheSeldomSeenKid likes this.
  10. It's a totally new series with an international cast based upon the original book, but also based upon the author's sequel book Die Festung. It takes place after the events of the '80s TV series/Film, so it's an entirely new story, but with plenty of U-Boat scenes, as well as the French resistance. It's a pretty intense show. No cheapo budget here. They've put a lot into it. Season 3 filming is underway.

slipkid likes this.
  11. JimW

JimW In the Process of Becoming

Primacy does often win out.

12. alexpop

Reaper ?
    That’s another one I’m unfamiliar with.

13. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Awesome, I can't remember if I had heard about that & 4got or never heard about it in the first place. I will have to check it out. Loved the original movie and the expanded cut based on the original show. Am hoping the new one is with english speaking actors but if not still sounds worth checking out. Thanks!

14. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

You might want to check out Counterpart. Think I mentioned it earlier in the thread. Very original sci-fi premise of a parallel world that exists in conjunction with our own, created by us through an accident in Berlin in the 1950's (?). This world is known only to a few in gov't and news of it is suppressed to the general public. Our world and theirs is connected through a sort of tunnel which is then controlled and monitored by both sides, very much like say East/West Berlin back in the day. Each person in our world has a "counterpart" in the other but although people are the same, their worlds have evolved/diverged and you might be a mild mannered office worker in this world but a highly trained kick-ass gov't assassin/spy in the other.

Without giving anything away, the worlds mistrust each other and what has evolved is kind of a cold war between our side and theirs. The series centers around the agencies that control access between the worlds and some main characters working at those agencies. The sci-fi element lays the groundwork but it is more of a spy thriller than anything else.

The main actor (JK Simmons) delivers a tour de force playing the same character from each world but who are vastly different people. Especially cool to see him playing one guy pretending to be the other guy & vice versa. A subplot mirroring our current covid-19 crisis is especially chilling.

Only runs for 2 seasons (not canceled per se but insteads wraps up at end of S2) so not too much of a commitment getting into it.

trumpet sounds and EVOLVIST like this.
  15. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

Just saw Power Book II. Highly recommended for crime drama connoisseurs. It’s a spin off the long running series Power.

16. Yeah, it's a lot of German for authenticity, but also a lot of French, and yes English. I think there may even be some Russian. Like I said, an international cast. The Germans sometimes speak English, as well. It never comes off as being false, though.

It really is top-notch and dare I say that many of the U-boat scenes are better than the original series/film.

slipkid likes this.
  17. alexpop

What about a Breaking Bad/The Walking Dead spin-off series with Rick Grimes and Jesse Pinkman.. set in Alaska ?

18. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

How about incorporating everyone that died in Breaking Bad in that as walking dead zombies? That way Gus, Tuco, Gale, Hank, Gomey, Jane, Mike, Combo, and of course Walter, can live on.

Hector can even come back as a zombie in a wheelchair ringing his bell!

o_O:D

trd and alexpop like this.
  19. alexpop

Te he. Great idea ..weekend jollies, what not. :D

Last edited: Mar 20, 2021
    slipkid likes this.
  20. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

They should actually do something like that for fun on The Walking Dead. Get some actors from popular series that were killed off that folks will recognize and sneak them into some episodes as zombies wearing similar clothes to their famous roles, people would get a kick out of that (don't announce it though just do it with no fanfare). See Walter White take a bite out somebody's arm and hand a chunk over to fellow zombie Gus to chow on.

alexpop likes this.
  21. I didn't get to Berlin Station this weekend, but I probably will next weekend (weekends are the only times I really get to sit down and digest shows).

But! - Osmosis.

I ended up watching five episodes of Osmosis on Netflix. Hey, this is a pretty dark show, with lots of twisty little turns that were plausible given the show's premise.

You know, slightly in the future, where a startup company invents a pill/implant that helps you find your true soulmate. A mix of human emotions and nanorobotics synthesis. Not giving anything away, the showrunners do a swell job at balancing the storylines of the test subjects who have taken the implants, and the various issues with the tech company, itself, as well as the stakeholders. There's a lot of mystery, surprises, and questions about how far we should allow technology to take us without losing our humanity.

It's in French. So far, five episodes in, with three left in this mini-series, and I'll give it a 7.8 out of 10 stars. Good stuff!

maui jim likes this.
  22. GregM

GregM The expanding man

Yeah, Sons of Anarchy was terrible. I was upset at myself for sitting through it. BCS casting tries very hard to be like a Coens bros film. The pharma embezzler was a perfect example. The writers would have lifted the William Macy lines like "this is supposed to be a no-rough-stuff type deal" if they thought they could get away with it. Those skateboard scammer twins were an odd casting choice.

slipkid, EVOLVIST and alexpop like this.
  23. alexpop

SOA?
    Had the complete dvd box, it was hard going, seemed like a quasi ~ soap.

Watched a sht load of TV shows since I got the bug ten years after seeing LOST....but SOA is not in my top ten shows.

slipkid likes this.
  24. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Yeah count me in on the SOA haters. I really wanted to like it, seemed like there was some connection to The Shield there somehow (writers, directors, actors, something) but I don't think I lasted past either the 1st or 2nd season, just seemed so, I dunno how to describe it other than lousy.

GregM and alexpop like this.
  25. alexpop

No redeemable/ interesting characters.
    And the corny ending.:)

bmasters9 likes this.