The "Official" All Purpose Heavy Metal and Hard Rock Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by GodShifter, Jul 3, 2014.

1. Soopernaut

Soopernaut Forum Resident

Black Death- "Retribution" (1984)

kyouki, rebetis, Michael Rose and 4 others like this.
  2. Soopernaut

Soopernaut Forum Resident

Zoetrope- "Hard to Survive" (1987) I don't think this is too extreme.

fretter and Sneezyachew like this.
  3. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Beat me to it with those three, although none of them would be considered metal by today's definition of the term.

Also The Mob, which features Doug Pinnick of King's X (& Reb Beach on guitar) and speaking of Doug I'd say probably his albums with George Lynch (who is regarded as a metal guitar god) as KXM are the heaviest of Doug's musical explorations.

I reviewed The Mob earlier in this thread (sorry you'll have to search for that, am too busy right now/gotta go to sleep), KXM has definitely been mentioned in this thread for all three of their albums (I 4get if I did any reviews but I would go with the first one, although there are 2 different versions of that one to explore (covered in the thread already).

KX & Lizzy are two of my favorite bands & Living Colour has some good stuff.

4. four sticks

four sticks Senior Member

[​IMG]

Dio - Holy Diver (1983)
    9.75/10

5. Purple

Purple Forum Resident

6. Purple

Purple Forum Resident

This also might be a double post, but this is an opera singer and coach breaking down Bruce Dickinson's vocal ability on "Hallowed by thy Name." Listening to Iron Maiden for the first time. It's got a million views, and has some neat insights to offer. The comments are pretty funny too...

7. Jeff Kent

Jeff Kent Forum Resident

I don't recall if this was already posted here. Lots of interesting bands, most I'd never heard of. Kinda cool to hear how Metal developed up in Sweden with minimal access to the rest of the World.

8. R79

R79 Forum Resident

9. Chimera

Chimera Forum Resident

Ava Max - Naked (Metal Remix)

10. Chimera

Chimera Forum Resident

Lady Gaga - Alice (Metal Remix)

11. Okay, so first of all...this is so cute in the way that she explains this, as if she's talking to 1st graders about the way that mommy sea turtles nurture their young. There's a point where ignorance truly is bliss, never mind that the bandsmen have armadillos in their trousers.

I get this impression of a sheltered life, which is probably a part of her shtick. In 1983 we would have laughed at how square she is, yet in 2021 the lines are blurred, which is probably a good thing. I'm not even sure there ever really was such a thing as a "poser."

This was a fun watch. :agree:

Purple likes this.
  12. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

For Mr. Big (& Paul Gilbert) fans I just posted a thread about a new Mr. Big live boxset release here:

Mr. Big - new live boxset coming!

Paul has a new album coming out as well in a few months that I included in there. I love the music video he made for it that I'll put here too. Really cool & funny hand drawing animations that go along with the song (an instrumental, which I suspect the whole album is as well).

13. Jeff Kent

Jeff Kent Forum Resident

sillycornelius likes this.
  14. Anthrax

Anthrax Forum Resident

For anybody who's ever wondered how to make people hear the vocals in their heads while they listen to an instrumental, there's the answer!

slipkid likes this.
  15. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Exactly. Isn't it cool the way he did that? I felt the guitar was singing the words. And not only did he play all the instruments he did all those drawings as well. Guess Covid lockdown is good for something after all, gets musicians more time to work on stuff like this instead of touring etc.

Anthrax likes this.
  16. EndorphinMachine

EndorphinMachine Forum Resident

Oooooh I love this one! It's rough and rolling, just my thing.

Cheers to the guys who tipped Iron Man and Hirax. From the latter The New Age of Terror is my favourite. It's more conventional thrash compared to the crossover of the early years, but it hits the sweetspot for me. Big recommendation to see live too, should such be possible again one day.

Soopernaut likes this.
  17. lenny nero

lenny nero down by the ruined bridge

new live one from Enforcer

Stormrider77 and sillycornelius like this.
  18. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

Funny...I was watching some of this yesterday and thought I need to check out some of their studio material.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  19. sillycornelius

sillycornelius Forum Resident

lenny nero likes this.
  20. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

Magnus Karlsson's Free Fall
    We Own The Night

Just getting to the latest solo outing from Primal Fear guitarist Magnus Karlsson and one of his side projects, Free Fall.
    This is his third album and if your not familiar, he uses a rotation of singers on each song. Listening today I couldn't help but be struck by how much this reminded me of good Yngwie Malmsteen; like the kind of music he hasn't done since Fire & Ice.

Dreams and Scars

21. Johnny Rock N' Roll

Johnny Rock N' Roll Forum Resident

Enforcer's From Beyond is one of my personal favorite metal albums of the 21st century.

spacedyed, lenny nero and Curveboy like this.
  22. Johnny Rock N' Roll

Johnny Rock N' Roll Forum Resident

Mr. Big's first album is one of my recent discoveries. I definitely was familiar with "Addicted to that Rush" from Dial MTV at the time, and "Green Tinted Sixties Mind" from the follow up gets regular play on Hair Nation, but that was kinda it for me with them. Then, the first record was recommended on Spotify and I clicked and became seriously....addicted. That album is sooo good.

And I've never actually listened to any of Paul Gilbert's solo stuff, but two records I've loved for a long time are the two Racer X LPs from the 80s, damn those albums just smoke.

23. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

never heard "be with you"?

slipkid and Johnny Rock N' Roll like this.
  24. Jeff Kent

Jeff Kent Forum Resident

Paul Gilbert is unreal.

slipkid and Matthew Tate like this.
  25. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

I just ordered it based on the samples I heard on YouTube...thanks!