Standalone singles not on best-of collections or reissues

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by tonyballz, Mar 21, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tonyballz

tonyballz Roogalator Thread Starter

Songs that only exist on the original 45s, never collected on official greatest hits, box sets, or as bonus tracks on CD reissues. You actually have to hunt down these suckers on 7-inches to own an hard copy. I'm mostly looking for A-sides here.

John Fogerty:
    You Don't Owe Me / Back In The Hills (1973, as Blue Ridge Rangers)
    Comin' Down The Road / Ricochet (1973)
    You Got The Magic / Evil Thing (1976)

Bob Seger: Lookin' Back (1971)

[both of these guys have been making music for over half a century, neither has a box set]

2. tonyballz

ZZ Top: Salt Lick / Miller's Farm (1969)

Rush: Not Fade Away / You Can't Fight It (1973)

3. c-eling

c-eling Dinner's In The Microwave Sweety

The Dream Academy-In The Heart, 1988
    7 inch or 3 inch cd single. That's it.
    [​IMG]

Neonbeam and Juggsnelson like this.
  4. Theacademyinperil

Theacademyinperil Forum Resident

Steely Dan/"Dallas" b/w "Sail The Waterway." I've gotta buy this if I'm ever lucky enough to see one again.

5. tonyballz

Good one. I've never seen a copy of the single but if I ever do, I hope I can buy it without having to mortgage my home.

This 1977 UK EP can be found pretty affordably:

[​IMG]

6. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

I believe this was on one of the many Dave Mason compilations, but it's gone and unavailable. Excellent track in the Alone Together mold.

Juggsnelson, Headfone and tonyballz like this.
  7. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

Here's one I've posted a bunch of times. Wonderful and completely lost record that has never been in print in any form since the 1970 single.

8. Maurice

Maurice Senior Member

9. DPK

DPK Forum Resident

Mudhoney- "You're Gone"

10. tonyballz

Maurice likes this.
  11. parkgrover

parkgrover Forum Resident

Bob Dylan - George Jackson

12. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

This is the one track by XTC (2/3 of them anyway) which has never been on CD. Though not knowing the English comic book it's derived from the humor is lost on me.

Juggsnelson and sharedon like this.
  13. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

You can get this, but it wouldn't be cheap: The acoustic version is on Side Tracks (and the multi-artist comp Hey Whitey), the band version is on Masterpieces.

14. vivatones

vivatones Forum Resident

“Anita Bryant” by Leon Russell
    To my knowledge this outstanding song appears only as the “B” side of Russell’s single of “Elvis and Marilyn.”

John B Good and Jarleboy like this.
  15. onionmaster

onionmaster Tropical new waver from the future

The original 1978 single versions of "Blackman Redemption" and "Rastaman Live Up!" by Bob Marley And The Wailers are still not on CD. They both feature The Meditations as backing vocalists, and the latter has an exclusive intro. They were only released in Jamaica, with Island passing on their international release for unknown reasons. Five years later (after Bob's death) the songs were remixed with the I-Threes (and with the latter's intro cut) for "Confrontation", but they have not been featured in their original mixes on any compilation. Two posthumous singles included on the same album, "I Know" and "Trench Town", also had distinctive 12" mixes that have never been reissued.

16. barryalan

barryalan Cat in Space

It's a b-side but Yo La Tengo's cover of Neil Young's "For the Turnstiles" has never been reissued although the a-side "Asparagus Song" was included in the CD release President Yo La Tango/New Wave Hotdogs.
    In fact, I could only find this rather lo-fi upload on youtube. Too bad, it has that haywire guitar sound of theirs I like so much.

17. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

Jimi Hendrix: Stepping Stone/Izabella (the songs are on various releases, but not in the same mixes)

18. tonyballz

Aynsley Dunbar Retaliation: Warning / Cobwebs (1967)

45-only release of a song Black Sabbath covered on their debut album. I think it may have popped up on one or two of those "Best Of British Blues" compilations. The only CD release under the band's name is as bonus tracks on a semi-legal European reissue of their 4th LP Remains To Be Heard.

florandia likes this.
  19. CriticalMaasCollectibles

CriticalMaasCollectibles Singularity Watcher

Siouxsie & The Banshees - "Song From The Edge Of The World"

Because Sioux got in a phone argument with remix engineer Mike Thorne, this great tune has never featured in any of the band's reissues or best of comps.

Beamish13 and c-eling like this.
  20. Paul Gase

Paul Gase Everything is cheaper than it looks.

The Rain Parade: What She’s Done To Your Mind single.

An inferior re-recorded take is on Emergency Third Rail Power Trip.

The single version has a great vibe, better drumming and sonics. My introduction to the band!

Juggsnelson likes this.
  21. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

Did this KEITH RICHARDS single ever appear anywhere else except the 45?:

[​IMG]

22. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

NEVER DONE NOTHING LIKE THAT BEFORE. - Supergrass

This single was re-mixed for inclusion on Life On Other Planets. The fireworks are heard on the end of the preceeding song "Evening Of The Day" although they are partially overlapped with that track.

Luckily, a promo was handed out on CD-R (with just "supergrass" scribbled on the label) by Parlophone with an insert that has the title as just NEVER DONE NOTHING and a sticker with a note from Kevin McCabe (promotions) about the release (1st July, 2002):

RELEASE DATE JULY 1ST
    This is very exciting! After an absence of over 2 years, Supergrass return with 'Never Done Nothing'. 'Never Done Nothing' will be released on July 1st as a one-sided 7" limited to 1000 copies only. 'Never Done Nothing' might be on the new album and then again it might not! Supergrass play a show at the Royal Festival Hall on Friday 28th June as part of Bowie's Meltdown and will also be appearing at V2002 Festival in August. Expect a 'proper' single in September, followed by the highly anticipated 4th album later that month. For now enjoy 'never Done Nothing', it'll make you realise how much you missed Supergrass.

[lower case 'n' typo transcribed from the original promo]

There is also apparently an Australian promo but I've not heard it so can't verify which mix is on it.

23. Frip

Frip Forum Resident

Popscene by Blur

Beamish13 likes this.
  24. Maurice

Maurice Senior Member

It’s not a vinyl 45 but Prince’s 2005 Hurricane Katrina benefit single S.S.T. has yet to appear on any physical release other than a US-market CD single.

Prince - S.S.T.

[​IMG]

Zongadude likes this.
  25. Mr. Siegal

Mr. Siegal Forum Resident

Tom Waits
    Blue Skies / New Coat of Paint
    [​IMG]

Beamish13 and Amoepe like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.