Buying a used SACD capable player-- the good or bad used?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Omarstringer, Mar 18, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jhw59

jhw59 Forum Resident

Well, I've sold 2 103s that were in excellent condition with no issues because I bought a 203 and then a 205.

Bill Mac and maui jim like this.
  2. maui jim

maui jim Forum Resident

My 103 runs like a champ though gets a lot less use these streaming days

3. Sterling1

Sterling1 Forum Resident

I’ve driven my 205 nine ways to Sunday, that’s to say, I have experimented with usb B play, network play, snd music (usb drive) play in addition to SACD play. It all sounds good but usb B does not have a path to .1 subwoofer and network is not gapless. Usb drives i.e. thumb drive does do gapless, multi-channel, snd has a path to .1 sub. Overall, seems like I most resort to the 205 for 5.1 SACD entertainment.

dman23 likes this.
  4. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

Do you get gapless playback from DSD (SACD rips) from USB hard drives? I do not even with gapless playback set to on with my 205.

5. Sterling1

Sterling1 Forum Resident

I do not have the means to rip SACDs. Now, the three usb drive ports do support stereo and multi-channel, as well as gapless. I had been using the usb drive port on the front panel with a thumb drive to enjoy multi-channel FLAC downloads from Acoustic Sounds but now Acoustic Sounds has dropped the service. I have not downloaded any DSD material so I do not know if the usb drives will do those files gaplessly. About 2 years ago I updated the unit's firmware to decode MQA, after which, I read on some forum that doing that update displaced DSD decoding. Oh, I forgot, I have my unit set to convert DSD to PCM, since I need multi-channel bass management. I do not know if that has anything to do with getting gapless however. Maybe contact OPPO? And BTW since I discovered usb B does not have a path to .1 I have just disconnected usb B from OPPO and reconnected to the Parasound P6 which does process the .1 as you know. As I recall it was you that recommended the Parasound P6 to me when my Sony TA-E9000ES went silent.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2021
  6. mcdmdmd

mcdmdmd Member

If I put a hybrid SACD/CD into the Oppo BDP-103, will it play the SACD side?
    Does it give me a choice?

7. monoman

monoman Senior Member

You need to connect a video monitor and configure the player how you like.

8. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

On page 51 of the Oppo 103 manual it shows the Playback Setup menu. In that menu are the SACD Priority settings. If your system is stereo only select the Stereo mode. If you have a multi-channel playback capable system select Multi-channel mode. As posted you will need to connect the 103 to an HDMI capable display to view the settings. It's best to read through the manual to familiarize with the setup options so to set up the 103 correctly for your system.

SACD Priority: Select which audio layer to play for SACD (Super Audio CD).

Multi-Channel – Play the high resolution multi-channel surround audio layer
    Stereo – Play the high resolution 2-channel stereo audio layer
    CD Mode – Play the CD layer of a hybrid SACD disc

There's also an SACD Output setting in the Audio Format Setup sub menu on page 62. The choices are DSD, PCM or Auto. If using HDMI use the HDMI output 2 as output 1 is not DSD capable.

Due to the hardware limitation, DSD output is only available from the HDMI 2 OUT port. To listen to SACD using the HDMI 1 OUT port, please set SACD Output to PCM.

http://download.oppodigital.com/BDP103/BDP-103_USER_MANUAL_English_v1.8.2.pdf

Sterling1 likes this.
  9. mcdmdmd

mcdmdmd Member

Do you think I could use this portable Sony DVD player, the same way you use your Sony UBP-X1100ES

Sony BDP-SX910 9V Portable Blu-ray/DVD Player

I would like to avoid hooking up a separate television

I'd connect the HDMI out to an adapter and then into my DAC with a TOSLink

What do you think?

10. Sterling1

Sterling1 Forum Resident

I don't own a UBP-X1100ES, I own the UBP-X800M2. I have no experience with the portable player you mentioned and I do not know if the HDMI extractor will deliver SACD content, sorry.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.