Any Los Angeles-based Record Collectors?

Discussion in 'Music, Movie and Hardware Store Guide' started by StevenC, Jan 13, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mikeyt

mikeyt Forum Resident

I went a few days ago and walked right in. They're keeping capacity at five people at a time, so it just depends on when you go.

Matt Starr likes this.
  2. Matt Starr

Matt Starr Forum Troglodyte

Yeah exactly, the wait time varies but at least they’re trying to keep it as safe as possible in there.

black sheriff and mikeyt like this.
  3. Chee

Chee Forum Resident

Guess the Buena Park Record Show is kaputz until huge open ups by Cali.

4. chantfan

chantfan Well-Known Member

I'm seeing online that Atomic Records in Burbank, CA on W. Magnolia Blvd is reopening this coming Monday, March 1st. Great news! Stop by Porto's Bakery for some Potato Balls while you're in the neighborhood. Hopefully Amoeba will be reopening sometime soon as well.

mikeyt and Matt Starr like this.
  5. stevef

stevef Senior Member

"Potato Balls"? I'm not aware... please tell us more...

6. mikeyt

mikeyt Forum Resident

Crunchy fried outer, soft mashed inner, with a little beef in the center. *chef's kiss*

Potato Ball®

stevef likes this.
  7. showtaper

showtaper Concert Hoarding Bastard

Only found on male potatoes. Didn't you have sex ed in high school?? :D

stevef likes this.
  8. stevef

stevef Senior Member

LOL :biglaugh:

9. chantfan

chantfan Well-Known Member

Unfortunately, my source was wrong - Atomic has not reopened yet. Damn! But, potato balls are fantastic!

mikeyt and Matt Starr like this.
  10. StevenC

StevenC SUEDE > Both Oasis AND Blur. Thread Starter

an hour because it was capacity of 4 max during covid...

Matt Starr likes this.
  11. Partyslammer

Partyslammer Lord Of The New Church

Has there been any word on the status of the new Amoeba Record store opening in Hollywood?

12. Matt Starr

Check out their Instagram account - seems that they’re close to announcing a date but aren’t committing to specifics quite yet.

13. Matt Starr

14. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

I grew up here and can echo the recommendations given so far. Can’t wait until we can travel shop and eat freely again, but unfortunately no state has more poorly/schizophrenically managed this pandemic and needlessly destroyed more businesses than California so I expect we’ll be the last one to be truly open again.

Partyslammer and Nephrodoc like this.
  15. StevenC

Lots of cases here in CA though... I guess it varies where you live. My wife's family lives in Glendale and the Americana had thousands of people shopping at Christmas... and I live near Stanford University. Went to the University Medical Center. There were patient beds in the gift shop. The pandemic period gave Amoeba Hollywood time to move over at their pace and I cannot wait for it to re-open. We have lots of great stores in CA.. the problem is, the smaller indie shops are jacking up their prices on vinyl artificially. I personally love Tracy Chapman's debut album. I think that is a better sounding original vinyl, too... but, I have to say it shouldn't be selling for $70.

I'm lucky to have been able to still go to Amoeba San Francisco this whole time ... having traveled to many other record shops in other states, it's still superb. I try to support the indie stores all over the country with online shopping while they were closed too. Luna Music in Indianapolis, have never been there but they've been awesome. The Sound Garden in Baltimore has also been awesome...

mikeyt likes this.
  16. Matt Starr

And just like that, Amoeba announcing their official reopening here - April 1st.

chantfan, steelydanguy and Nephrodoc like this.
  17. Nephrodoc

Nephrodoc Forum Resident

That’s great for Ameoba!

Although there was a lot of backlash after their Gofundme campaign..

I think they will do well, but I’m not sure why they didn’t have a better online presence during the shutdown.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2021
    Matt Starr likes this.
  18. Matt Starr

Yeah, I agree.

Most of what I knew, I was finding out from sporadic posts on their Instagram account and not much more info was out there.

Looks like it will be a fun place to hang out!

Nephrodoc likes this.
  19. StevenC

I agree on their online presence but I found the GoFundMe campaign backlash to be stupid. We need places like Amoeba. "But... what about Little Timmy's Records and Tapes?!" No one said Little Timmy's couldn't set up a GoFundMe... and Amoeba has a massive space that is required to provide all that inventory to people like us.. and just because I shop at Amoeba, doesn't mean I don't frequent the smaller indie shops... If you were with Amoeba from their early beginnings, they earned the right to provide so many records and other stuff...

mikeyt likes this.
  20. Partyslammer

I honestly don't care where or how Amoeba rakes in money outside of sales, but looking at the GoFundMe thing, I get some of the backlash considering the owners sold the property the Hollywood store was located at for a considerable profit and the new location building permits were only approved the day LA locked down. The new store wasn't going to be opened until last Sept at the absolute earliest so they kind of got lucky not having to deal with the LA area Covid lockdowns for a full year like many other businesses as at least half a year downtime was already factored in their budget due to the store not being open through the relocation process. Plus, they supposedly got some Stimulus benefits last year *and* laid off most employees after the mid-March 2020 lockdown.

A. Person Me likes this.
  21. Partyslammer

I really hope the Buena Park show starts back up over Summer. Maybe do it outside in the back parking lot like they've done a couple times in the past (due to work being done inside the building). Of anything recreational/hobby related, I've missed going to this show the most the past year.

22. StevenC

they owned the building but not the land. That was their issue. How much do you think it takes to get a new space in Hollywood? The money they raised couldn't have paid all those salaries...
    I'll defend Amoeba to the death. One of my friends used to s*** all over Tower Records because it was too corporate. Then he watches the documentary and tries to come around me with a Tower Records shirt.. I was like, "get the hell out here with that."
    Whether someone chooses to shop at a smaller indie shop vs Amoeba, that's cool... but don't take Amoeba away from people like me. Reminds me of the millennial petition to get Barnes and Noble to close down. I was like, come on man... if you don't like it, don't go... but what would you prefer take the space? Bed Bath and Beyond? Just chill out and let Amoeba exist. My favorite comment was people saying Amoeba drove Origami Records out of business. I went to Origami with a list of 30 things.. all newish, indie releases. And they had zero of any of them. That's why they closed.

Matt Starr, dlemaudit and mikeyt like this.
  23. Chee

Chee Forum Resident

The Buena Park Record Show is huge. The website is totally dead and their Facebook is from last Summer. Kinda sad it is in limbo with no news at all.

mikeyt likes this.
  24. mikeyt

mikeyt Forum Resident

I remember Origami. When I visited they had no idea how to price their LPs and I got some great ones for $5 and saw some that I would never put on a turntable that were way out of my price range. I think there's a reason that most of the good shops stick around.

25. Partyslammer

I checked out Amoeba Records for the first time since they relocated and re-opened on Hollywood Blvd. For the most part, same shopping and buying experience as the old store. Although LA is still technically in pandemic mode, the place was packed (masks required) and doing brisk business. I kind of like how they have the rarer, pricier records displayed on columns over relevant sections (rare rock records in the rock section, etc) versus on the back wall so high up you can’t get a good look at some albums. Decent selection of used records, better’n the last few times I rummaged through the bins before the pandemic. They need to get better organized though. “Just in” used records and used box set bins for records were scattered all over the store as well as the few bins for “rare and audiophile” CDs.

The downside is they have drastically cut down the video section. Unloading the giant surplus of old VHS tapes helped but there’s definitely less DVDs and Blu-rays, especially imports. They have a lot more funko-type toys, t-shirts and posters.

The new location may be a pro or con depending on one’s POV - parking is a bit more of a hassle but there’s a lot of little places to eat and drink around the Hollywood/Argyle intersection.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.