Poll – What was your first? Beta, VHS, other?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by cgw, Mar 23, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cgw

cgw Forum Resident Thread Starter

Which did you get first?

When did you get it?

Do you still have a player and media?

2. cgw

cgw Forum Resident Thread Starter

I went Beta. It had to be 1983-84, my first year working after school.
    I have a Beta and VHS player up in the attic (in case I need to watch the wedding video).

musicfan37 likes this.
  3. OnTheRoad

OnTheRoad Not of this world

Never had a VCR in the day, got my first DVD player in 2003 after having acquired a handful of DVD discs. Then as I started seeing all these old VHS tapes at Goodwill for 49 cents each, I got a really decent VCR for $3.99 (2014) and collected about 100 VHS's then got rid of all the tape stuff and player. I still have a couple of DVD players and a blueray too and about 600-700 DVDS.

I love discs and care nothing about streaming and all that goes with it. I'd rather seek out discs, many of the shows and movies which I don't believe would be available online anyway. I can't say I like having most everything at your fingertips....it cheapens the experience IMO.

905 and Karnak like this.
  4. Andy Smith

Andy Smith .....Like a good pinch of snuff......

A Betamax machine. Loved it. At that time there was plenty of choice at the many videotape rental shops. All faded in the space of 2 years.
    Still have a video player. It's (VHS) Sony.

Frank Discussion likes this.
  5. andy749

andy749 Senior Member

VHS - bought an old Lugosi flick, The Human Monster before I even owned a VCR. Was really surprised to see it in a budget rack. It's a fave. 1985ish.

6. maclen

maclen Senior Member

Betamax. I know I had it in 1980. I taped a lot of concerts and music related shows. I still have most of my tapes and still have my player. Just this past weekend I was cleaning out things and found a still sealed blank beta tape. I should plug the player in and take a trip down memory lane.

7. Schoolmaster Bones

Schoolmaster Bones Poe's Lawyer

[​IMG]

Uglier than I remember.

keef00 likes this.
  8. Warzawa

Warzawa The Starman

VHS for me never had Beta

9. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

My family got our first VHS VCR in early 1983. What a revelation!

Never had Beta. I went LD in 1991, DVD in 1998, BD in 2009 and 4K in 2017.

I still have a VCR and plenty of tapes!

10. Monosterio

Monosterio Forum Resident

VHS

I’m fairly certain it was 1980. Ah, the great scenes I watched on that thing. Rewind and play buttons got a heavy workout... :winkgrin:

Karnak likes this.
  11. Yawndave

Yawndave Forum Resident

VHS -- My first unit was a portable recorder with a camera that I lugged around to various events--even took it to NYC and dragged it around for a week. After awhile I got tired of carrying it and had the realization that I was experiencing things through a tiny viewfinder. I ended up selling it off to a friend, who came to same realization after about a month and became rather resentful that I had unloaded it on him.

12. StillFlying

StillFlying Forum Resident

VHS - circa 1985. I want to say it was an RCA model. It was a top-loader. I was 10 or 11 years old, and I definitely took to it more than anyone else in the family. In my young eyes, it was just about the greatest thing ever. I still have most of the tapes I have collected and compiled over the years. Sadly, I've had 2 VCRs die on me in the past year. That includes one that I had used frequently for 20+ years:cry:

93curr likes this.
  13. Hanglow

Hanglow Forum Resident

What was the problem?.....you were hip,man!....walking around NYC with this getup? .....they'd spot you a mile away :biglaugh::biglaugh:
    [​IMG]

14. Hanglow

Hanglow Forum Resident

I didn't see an "other" box.........my "first"time? :rolleyes: there was no VHS or Beta....I remember recording part of a Star Trek TOS episode with this......would that count?[​IMG]

Pinknik and LeBon Bush like this.
  15. nosticker

nosticker Forum Guy

I actually remember the date- 5/1/1978 and it was a Sanyo Betacord, top-loading, with a rare-at-the-time built-in timer. We held off adding VHS as long as we could and got one in 1982, a Sharp, which ironically had a dull picture and visible head switching way up into active video. Shortly thereafter, we got one of the first-ever camcorders, the Sony Betamovie and Beta Hi Fi VCR, with a VHS Hi Fi right after that. LD followed in 1988 along with 8mm video. I'll quit while I'm ahead.

Dan

EVOLVIST likes this.
  16. Yawndave

Yawndave Forum Resident

Ha! I was much cooler than that...I had the recorder unit in a backpack! And as far as being spotted a mile away, there was one incident when I was filming while walking in Times Square and someone took exception to being on camera as I passed by. He shouted some choice obscenities at me and gave me a good shove and I hurried on my way. I guess I'm lucky it didn't escalate into something more serious.

17. Alan G.

Alan G. Forum Resident

1981, a Quasar VHS machine with a heavy spring-loaded door on the top. Wham! $650 and I had to drive to get it. At the time, blank tapes were $20. My first VHS film was “King Kong”; $60. My first rental, “10”, was $10/night!

That was livin’!

Karnak and LeBon Bush like this.
  18. Electric Warrior

Electric Warrior Senior Member

I grew up with Video 2000.

19. jbmcb

jbmcb Forum Resident

Really funky Fischer VHS deck, probably mid-80s. The front control panel popped off and became the remote control. You had to manually tune the channels using a bunch of knobs and dials on the top of the unit. Then, in front, there was a transparent strip you would pull out and place see-through numbers, and a series of lights would shine through the numbers to let you know what channel you were on. The tape-inserted indicator was physical - where you loaded the tape a flap would come up with a picture of a tape letting you know there was one in there. The only digital display was a vacuum-fluorescent clock. It broke a long time ago, but it's so weird I kept it.

For a long time we only used it to tape stuff. PBS would play Dr. Who at 12:00 at night, so I'd record it and watch it the following day. My mom would tape figure skating. Every once and a while we'd get free premium cable channels, so I'd record a few movies. That's how I got Caddyshack, Aliens, and Weird Science. The first pre-recorded tape I bought was The Hunt for Red October.

Suncola and Chris DeVoe like this.
  20. Wigru

Wigru Forum Resident

Video 2000 also

21. LeBon Bush

LeBon Bush Hound of Love

Damn!

Running these values through an inflation calculator, I now start to get why my family never cease to shake their heads in disbelief when I tell them how cheap DVDs and BluRays have become these days...

Referring to the OP, my first format was VHS - I wore out mom's tapes of "Yellow Submarine" and "Seven Years In Tibet" and used to record formula 1 races and children's shows off the air :) also, shortly after I was born, we got a PC with a DVD drive. That was SO cool back then! A few years after that, around 2002 or 2003, it was my sister who initiated the family's switch to DVD for good, indirectly kicking off a collecting habit of mine that lasts to this day.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2021
    Chris DeVoe and Alan G. like this.
  22. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

I had a beta player, and at one time I had a huge collection of beta tapes after all the video rental places sold them off cheap since everyone else had VHS. I still say beta was better

23. musicfan37

musicfan37 Senior Member

We had our wedding video converted to DVD. :)

LeBon Bush likes this.
  24. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

VHS the size of a suitcase for something like $1200 when they first hit the market. I think it was Curtis Mathis.

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  25. Rigoberto

Rigoberto Forum Resident

Around 1979.. my first tape was probably '10' for $59.95 and then Clockwork Orange $75. I wish I'd kept those. They came in large display boxes. First Beta VCR was Sony 5400. Came up missing after a move, but they didn't get the wired remote. I still had it years later but now it's gone too.

Tanx and LeBon Bush like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.