Record stores in Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, Massachusetts, Rhode Island & Connecticut!!

Discussion in 'Music, Movie and Hardware Store Guide' started by panicproject, Dec 28, 2017.

1. CaseyJames

CaseyJames Relaxed Fit Jeans Vibe

Go a little further North to Portland and hit Electric Buddha, Enterprise, Moody Lords, and The Merchant Company.

uzn007 and CraigC like this.
  2. cdash99

cdash99 Senior Member

There’s Skeletone in Rochester..I’ve never been but it might be on your way.

CraigC likes this.
  3. PB with J

PB with J Forum Resident

It's not on your way, but I've been happy shopping at Skele-tone. Some prices are very high, but most are pretty well priced. There's also R.S. Butler's in Northwood - there are some good deals there (he also supplies Bull Moose in Portsmouth with used vinyl).

4. Danby Delight

Danby Delight Forum Resident

Not one of those stores is worth driving over an hour one way.

5. cdash99

cdash99 Senior Member

Enterprise can be interesting and eclectic, and the ride can be done in 45 minutes with a bit of gas pedal action, but I overall agree with you.

6. CaseyJames

I disagree somewhat. I always have good luck at Enterprise (and I go weekly) but that's maybe because the owner knows what I like and puts stuff aside for me. Perks of being a regular, I suppose.

Moody Lords is good for "staple" records (Springsteen, LZ, Beatles, etc). And the owners are super nice and are able to come up with things if you ask.

Buddha's I've only had minimal success, butI the successes have been good. I only hit them once a month or so.

Merchant Company has a lot but never really anything I'm into. Worth checking out though.

7. CaseyJames

I've talked about their high prices before and was shot down on here, so I'm glad someone else recognizes that. Seems like they are more into new vinyl these days as their used stock doesn't seem to get refreshed with any regularity. The truly high (over) priced stuff is the consignment stuff which is laughable.

8. roverb

roverb Forum Resident

is there any place in the greater Boston area for 'classical' vinyl ? new or used is ok

9. uzn007

uzn007 Watcher of the Skis

Orpheus Performing Arts in the Back Bay. They bought a ton of my dad's classical records and CDs when he passed away last year.

ARK, roverb and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  10. Danby Delight

Stereo Jack's gets in a lot of classical vinyl including a lot of relatively obscure 20th century composers. I've bought several Lou Harrison LPs there for example.

In Your Ear, somewhat surprisingly, has a decent stock of vintage classical LPs at popular prices.

roverb likes this.
  11. roverb

roverb Forum Resident

hey thanks for your reply! .. i've been wanting to get back down to Stereo Jacks for a while now..

12. roverb

roverb Forum Resident

thanks for the reply .. it looks like i may have to plan for more than just a couple hours

uzn007 likes this.
  13. Marc Perman

Marc Perman Forum Resident

If we can expand “Connecticut” by 30 miles or so, Academy Records at 12 W. 18th St. in NYC is primarily a classical store, and a great one. It’s only rival in the US that I know is Record Surplus in LA, which of course has no plausible connection to New England.:eek:

Hep Alien and roverb like this.
  14. cdash99

cdash99 Senior Member

The question of whether SW Connecticut belongs to New England or NYC has been long debated. Something to do with rooting interests in the region's sports franchises. :)

ARK and Hep Alien like this.
  15. Chee

Chee Forum Resident

I think SW Connecticut is Yankees and Giants and Knicks and Rangers. You can hit the NYC line in 30 minutes. People in Fairfield County do have NY accents. Mid state, nope.

ARK likes this.
  16. Thesmellofvinyl

Thesmellofvinyl Senior Member

SimonSaysCake likes this.
  17. A good drive but still do-able. Thanks!

-s1m0n-

Thesmellofvinyl likes this.
  18. cdash99

cdash99 Senior Member

Newbury Comics in Norwood has the Tom Petty Wildflowers Super Deluxe 5 CD set on sale in store for $99. For anyone that didn’t already buy the 4 disc set, this is a great price for the full package.

Hep Alien, thetman and Marc Perman like this.
  19. thetman

thetman Forum Resident

I haven't been to that store in a while. Got some unwanted vinyl/ blu-rays I need to gather and sell. might be time for a little road trip.

20. cdash99

cdash99 Senior Member

You might want to check with them to see if they’re taking trades, with COVID and all.

21. putney_swope

putney_swope Forum Resident

I believe they are. I was there this past weekend and someone was asking about trades and there was no mention of any sort of stop to this.

22. thetman

thetman Forum Resident

I would anyways just make sure. I traded in some stuff a few years back and called ahead of time as well. The transaction went pretty smooth. dropped off one day and got paid the next. They called me with a number beforehand. I'm hoping in the next few months I will take a drive over.

23. Hmm.. I have found generally what Academy might be charging in classical cds/vinyl/ boxed sets, Princeton is usually dumping for half. Academy edges in avant garde, but they also tend to "feature" what Princeton is dumping.

Marc Perman likes this.
  24. Danby Delight

Yeah, I don't sell my castoffs -- I put them out on the sidewalk like God intended -- but I have been hitting the cheap-vinyl bins in Norwood and heard them tell prospective buyers both over the phone and in person, "Sorry, we're not buying today." I would definitely always call first.

thetman and uzn007 like this.
  25. thetman

thetman Forum Resident

According to their website:

Newbury Comics is not currently purchasing used products from customers. This includes CDs, DVDs, Vinyl, Books, and any other products. We will update this if we are able to begin offering used purchasing in the future.

uzn007 likes this.