Does anyone still buy and collect DVDs?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by php111, Sep 25, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ILovethebassclarinet

ILovethebassclarinet Forum Resident

Of course, there's also the issue of 'watching when I want as opposed to when the station is broadcasting.'
    I like watching a bit of "old TV shows" myself, as, for one thing, it reminds me of who I was when saw them the first time around, 'for good or ill.'

gonz and Grand_Ennui like this.
  2. TwentySmallCigars

TwentySmallCigars Forum Resident

I just picked up a copy of the Ingmar Bergman Collection DVD set on MGM to get the bonus features that weren't on the Criterion set, so I guess I'm technically still collecting DVD's.

3. James Slattery

James Slattery Forum Resident

Those cheapo box sets cram way too much content onto each disc and you get a lot of compression artifacts. If you don't care about quality, then I guess its okay.

ClassicalCD likes this.
  4. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

I’ve bought 200 dvds in the past 12 months .. cheap as chips. Not interested in blu rays.

5. Jord

Jord Forum Resident

It really depends on the show. A show like Golden Girls doesn't need a HD or 4K treatment for me. It's perfectly enjoyable in SD since it mostly relies on comedy.

Grand_Ennui likes this.
  6. Jeff Kent

Jeff Kent Forum Resident

I recently dumped about 75 music DVDs. I never watched them...

ILovethebassclarinet likes this.
  7. ILovethebassclarinet

ILovethebassclarinet Forum Resident

While I won't be dumping them, I do tend to play them less often, because part of me feels like I should be in front of the screen instead of just listening from somewhere else.

8. Jeff Kent

Jeff Kent Forum Resident

Right, some had corresponding live CDs and others were documentaries or video collections I could stream. I sold them bulk/cheap and I don't know if the store will have any luck moving them...I asked them to let me know if used music DVDs are selling.

ILovethebassclarinet likes this.
  9. John B Good

John B Good Forum Hall Of Fame

Just bought the third season of The Crown on DVD. Will sit beside the first 2 seasons.

I like the blu ray cases better though :)

10. Kristofa

Kristofa Enthusiast of small convenient sound carrier units

I prefer to just buy Blu-Ray and have upgraded many of my DVDs, but some are still not released in Blu-Ray. I own one 4K disc but haven’t watched it. BRDs are where it’s at for me in terms of video and sound quality.

11. Holerbot6000

Holerbot6000 Forum Resident

4K is impressive but I think it works best with movies released in the last few years. I just got a 4k Panasonic player and fired up Aquaman and it was pretty great.

12. SBurke

SBurke Nostalgia Junkie

It's funny to see this post seven years on (to which my attention was directed because some gracious soul gave it a "like"). I actually pulled out one of my old Case Logic binders of DVDs a couple weeks ago, and I was pleased to find some classic noir films and other things -- I watched "Fallen Angel" (1945) and "The Hidden" (1987). We're nearing a period in which watching DVDs will be an exercise in nostalgia, and I like that.

Shoes1916 likes this.
  13. clhboa

clhboa Forum Resident

I went back to the Big Lots where I made my big haul. They had a bunch of these marked down on clearance. Here's what I grabbed...

Mannix Season 1 $2.50
    The Fugitive Season 1 Vol. 1 $1.25
    Streets Of San Francisco Season 1 Vol. 1 $2.50
    Streets Of San Francisco Season 1 Vol. 2 $1.25
    Andy Griffith Show Season 1 $2.50
    30 Rock Season 3 $1.25

and a couple of movies...

Mad Max $2.50
    The Good, The Bad and The Ugly Blu-Ray $2.50

Even though I already bought most of these I couldn't resist the price. I'll give the ones I don't need to my brother or friend who still are into dvds.

Grand_Ennui likes this.
  14. Shoes1916

Shoes1916 Forum Resident

Blu-ray = Scam

(But I'll buy them if I can't get it on a solo DVD; best sitch is cheap Blu-ray w/DVD!)

15. Shoes1916

Shoes1916 Forum Resident

Oh - and I just bought a DVD tonight of a flick you can only see one of three ways:

1) 16mm print
    2) VHS
    3) DVD

The DVD just REALLY seemed like the smart way to go... :-popcorn:

Chris Gerhard likes this.
  16. Blu-ray is a scam? I am not sure I can understand why anyone would feel that way. For the people with HDTVs that want something better than DVD, I think it is a great choice. If you don't want Blu-ray, that is fine, you can easily avoid buying Blu-ray. I don't buy organic foods, I don't think the significantly higher price is worth it, but I don't think it is a scam.

Kristofa and stepeanut like this.
  17. Shoes1916

Shoes1916 Forum Resident

In fairness, I haven't done that split hook-up thing, so maybe the fact that Blu-rays cost a lot more but look exactly the same on my HDTV is due to that.

18. Oh, yes if you aren't connected by Blu-ray player using HDMI or DVI to your HDTV then you wouldn't see much improvement.

Shoes1916 likes this.
  19. Shoes1916

Shoes1916 Forum Resident

Yeah - I found out about all that HDMI jazz a few months ago & bought all the trimmings, but haven't bothered hooking my Blu-ray player up to my ginormous screen.

Now I'm off to watch an old analog/film-based import DVD on my smaller HDTV in original vertically crushed aspect ratio - it's like scratchy vinyl; very warm & reassuring! :D

SBurke likes this.
  20. Holerbot6000

Holerbot6000 Forum Resident

Kino Lorber has GREAT sales nearly every month with oodles of titles in both formats for $10 or less. Every time I go there, I spend the rent. They are fast becoming my favorite outlet. Recommended!

Shoes1916 and Kristofa like this.
  21. Django

Django Forum Resident

I bought the DVD & Blu-ray combo of the horror of Dracula last week.
    First film purchased in a while.

I still dont own a Blu-ray player :oops:

Shoes1916 likes this.
  22. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

as of late I only watch the DVDs I already own...haven't been out looking for any media for a bit...I have enough to watch and I'm still behind!

Shoes1916 likes this.
  23. Michael

well they are cheap enough...buy one now before they stop making them in large production...ya never know what's around the corner in this crazy media world...

Shoes1916 likes this.
  24. Michael

Shoes1916 likes this.
  25. Grand_Ennui

Grand_Ennui Forum Resident

I went into Big Lots a few weeks back, and they had exactly the same stuff they had when I found the titles in my earlier post... I'm glad you were able to find so much (as shown in your earlier thread, and this newest one), but it's a bit annoying that they didn't have a lot of good stuff here... I'm tempted to drive down to Appleton one of these days to see if they have anything good.

Shoes1916 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.