Your Vinyl Transfer Workflow (sharing best needledrop practices)*

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Vocalpoint, May 11, 2011.

1. ghost rider

ghost rider Forum Resident

That is the only one you can get on vinyl. You can get several on cd. I have been looking for over a year. You can stream them all. I use jj grey and mofo as a pandora station and you will hear an interesting mix.
    Black water is actually a pretty good pressing. It is on 2 180g orange vinyl. My first impression was not great. I had a huge learning experience this weekend. I have apparently dialed my turntables for years to sound great on thin vinyl. But the thicker records sounded raspy is my best description. Now having a TT with on the fly VTA adjustment I can easily adjust it. This alone with several 180g records I have been thinking are bad pressings now sound wonderful.

2. ghost rider

Oh my wife and I got our 1st shot today.:goodie::wiggle:

ascot and Grant like this.
  3. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Well, I guess i've developed a new work flow anyway. It's quick and dirty, not the best way, but it works!

Using RX7 bith and Audition CS5:

1. Record entire album, both sides in one go at 32-bit/44.1.

2. Declick entire file with vinyl record setting in RX7

3. Sample the noise before the music begins with the Voice De-noise with the remove rumble preset, using the music and gentle options. Threshold at 0db, and Reduction at around 13db. Run over entire file.

4. Sample the same section in the Spectral de-noise, hit "Learn", and set Threshold at 0db, and Reduction at around 20db. leave default settings. Run over entire file.

5. Use the Suggest function in Phase. Run result over entire file.

6. Normalize entire file to -.3db.

7. Use Ozone 9 or Audition limiter if needed to bring up the volume a bit.

8. Top and tail, and trim tracks in Audition.

9. Split big file into individual tracks with markers in Audition.

10. Dither in RX7 or Ozone 9 using flat, medium dither, no noise shaping, suppress peaks, and auto-blank during silence, and save to FLAC using the batch processor.

11. Name files with song titles in Windows explorer.

12. Further tag in both Media Monkey and mp3tag to my specifications.

It sounds like a lot, but I have it down to where I can get it done in just two hours from start to finish, and the results are excellent, considering that I just use presets. I've done three albums this way so far. I did have to use a bit more NR at the beginning of the first song of an album because of some strange granular noise that was up into the upper-bass musical region.

4. stetsonic

stetsonic Forum Resident

I like to give the markers in RX the filenames I want to use (like "01_Radio Gnome" and so on). Just a preference of mine, I don't think it's much quicker or handier that way but it can be done in "Markers and regions" window (ALT-M).

psulioninks likes this.
  5. psulioninks

psulioninks Forum Resident

Likewise

6. Stan94

Stan94 Forum Resident

I'd be worried to use factory settings for the declicking module. Doesn't it overdo it?

7. psulioninks

More like mortified...

8. ghost rider

Here is another file using the same denoise process above. This is a more quiet part with a lot a detail. This is also one of those 180g records that I was never happy about. This one has a lot of surface noise. I'm pretty happy with the declicking. You can see all the grunge that gets removed. This is another used of the undenoised archived wav file. I can put both files up and listen easily. Again I'm pretty happy with this process in RX8 advanced.
    Dropbox - dsotm denoised.flac - Simplify your life

[​IMG]

arisinwind likes this.
  9. WOW! Simply WOW!

ghost rider likes this.
  10. Grant

Surprisingly, no. At least not with RX.

I did a drop early this morning. The album was quite clean except for some annoying rumble that I had trouble getting rid of and keeping all the deep bass. As usual, I was half-asleep and don't keep notes, so I don't remember all of what I did. But, it came out very nice. I'm about to do a final sound check before I top and tail and dither them.

I have yet to utilize Stefan's de-noise methods. I guess once I get on a roll with a project, I let nothing bother me. LOL.

11. Stan94

Stan94 Forum Resident

I tried the factory settings on Come Together, from a 80's German pressing. It's full of bass, even more than on the UK pressings. It killed the bass line. Strengh 3 and Freq skew -8 gave good results on rumble issues. Last time I removed the clicks manually, it took some time but it turned out OK. But you're right, I have to find settings that get rid of most clicks without hurting the music and deal with the hard ones by hand.

12. Grant

It's not the clicks i'm talking about. It's the surface noise exacerbated by the hum from my TT motor. I found an old thread dealing with this exact issue but now I can't find wire in any of the stores I went to just a few minutes ago!
    Hum Only When Needle Touches Vinyl

13. jmobrien68

jmobrien68 Forum Resident

Hi... frequent lurker... minimal contributor to this fine thread... lol
    Quick question... just got a new Windows PC and installed RX8... can't see any input 'info' when recording. When I used RX5 I could see the VU meters and the spectrogram display as my albums were recording... don't see anything on RX8... searched but couldn't find an 'input monitor' option to click on (if that makes any sense).

14. Grant

That annoys me too. You just have to get used to looking at the digital counter in the lower-left hand corner to know if it's recording.

For that reason alone, I prefer to do my initial capture in either Adobe Audition or Sound Forge, and then import the wav file into RX for processing.

Casey737 likes this.
  15. Stan94

Stan94 Forum Resident

Yes, I find this annoying too. But now, as the input knobs on my MOTU 2 are turned all the way down to the minimum, I don't have any fear of clipping or even reaching -6db when I'm capturing records.

16. BrilliantBob

BrilliantBob Select, process, CTRL+c, CTRL+z, ALT+v

If all the displays (input and output) of MOTU M2 are green (not yellow or red) there is nothing to worry about.

After recording you may fix the volume at -18 dBFS total RMS for each channel and LP sides with "Gain" then "Phase" to remove the false peaks, with RX or whatever other app. If peaks are too closer to 0 dBFS a limiter or compression can fix this too.

17. Stan94

Stan94 Forum Resident

Oh yes, I'm very far from yellow or red...
    How do you adjust the volume to -18dBFS with the Gain module?
    Say in the Waveform Statistics the total RMS level was -25.04dB and -25.44dB: do you add 7dB of gain to get to -18dBFS RMS? And then Phase "Minimize signal Peaks Levels"?

BrilliantBob likes this.
  18. jmobrien68

Yeah... I started recording into Audition myself. I use RX for high/low passes, declicking and flac transfer... then back to audition for setting levels, eq if needed, hard limiting if needed, cutting and fades between tracks if needed.

Grant likes this.
  19. BrilliantBob

Boost L channel with 7.04 dB and R channel with 7.44 dB. I think the DAW plugins and modules work best when the signal total RMS level is -18 dBFS. And then Phase "suggest" and apply for the entire LP.

20. Stan94

Stan94 Forum Resident

That's what I did. Is there not a chance to unbalance the mix in doing so? Does the total RMS level have to be the same in each channel?

21. BrilliantBob

Channels may be unbalanced for many reasons. The vinyl cutting, wrong azimuth, cartridge, tonearm wires, or even mastering and so on. I balance the channels to mask the channels crosstalk or other TT previous wrong settings. Sounds good.

Grant and arisinwind like this.
  22. psulioninks

Yes, just be sure the imbalance is not due to the way the recording was meant to sound - I am talking stereo recordings here of course. They often have higher or lower levels between channels due to the instruments appearing in one channel or another. If the imbalance is across the entire recording, then you may have an issue.

A great way to check this is with a mono recording. Try one of those and check your readings. If the channel balance is the same or very close, then your set-up is working the way it should be.

BrilliantBob and stetsonic like this.
  23. ghost rider

I don't know if we have the same issue but I also can't record with RX8. I've been in contact with both Izotope and Merging my audio device seems to be an issue.

24. jmobrien68

ghost rider... I wanted to give this a try, but I'm not sure what you meant by "1st pass is only to the side channel and the 2nd is both"

25. ghost rider

This is another example of the 2 pass denoise I'm using. My work flow goes like this, similar as before. Record in RX6, cut 0-5Hz, Brickwall eq from 0-20 Hz, Manual declick, Export 32bit float/96 wav file for archive. Mix -85db of noise I don't know for sure the noise helps but it doesn't hurt, find a good gap for noise scan, use M/S and in the 1st pass of denoise only denoise the side channel, 2nd pass lightly denoise both.
    Then I open the archived file and having both files I can easily listen to as much as I need to looking for damage caused by denoise. Then I normalize or use Loudness.

In this Bech Guero sample I like how this denoise method really quiets down the gaps but seem less aggressive on the rest of the file. Two 60 second before and after denoise shown in the screenshot.
    Dropbox - Beck Guero.flac - Simplify your life
    [​IMG]

arisinwind likes this.